Upgrades and TAs, Westerdam

bryanjaync

Going on the Westerdam in Dec 05. Booked a SS suite. Our TA says he asked HAL to put us on a 'free' upgrade list for a S. No guarantees, but on the list. Is this for real, or just something TAs say to everyone ? (we are very happy with the SS, so I dont mind not getting the upgrade, if that is the case) JUst curious.

Getting put on the "list", if such a thing really exists, and getting an upgrade are two differenet things. Personally I'd write it off as something your TA said to make you feel better. I wouldn't get too hopeful but stranger things have happened.

Going on the Westerdam in Dec 05. Booked a SS suite. Our TA says he asked HAL to put us on a 'free' upgrade list for a S. No guarantees, but on the list. Is this for real, or just something TAs say to everyone ? (we are very happy with the SS, so I dont mind not getting the upgrade, if that is the case) JUst curious.

Our TA asked us if we wanted to be put on a list as willing to upgrade, we said yes. We also booked an SS for this time around. We had an S last October on the Zuiderdam and loved the space it provided and the laundry service as well as the priority tendering, however didn't use enough other services to warrant the addtional $500pp this time. Last time the price differenced netted out to $150pp so we took the S. We shall see if we are offered an upgrade to an S this October. We booked the SS on the side of the ship where it juts out so the SS is slightly larger than most. There is also a larger verandah, the flip side is the reduced privacy on the verandah, however, that didn't matter at all to me, I'd rather have the additional space.

A standard thing for Holland America is to ask you if you are willing to take an upgrade. I don't think that gives you any better chance of an upgrade it just tells then that you are willing if it works out better for them. It also tells them that you don't mind being moved or just want to keep the cabin that you originally booked

I have the same understanding as cruise freak. If an upgrade makes sense for HAL, and you've indicated you will accept an upgrade, HAL will notify your TA. Your TA will then notify you. If HAL doesn't hear back within 24 hours, the upgrade will stand. In other words, if you've said you'd take an upgrade then you will be upgraded "automatically" unless your TA intervenes and declines the move. As mentioned, being on the list certainly doesn't assure getting an upgrade. But they are wonderful when they happen!

Our TA asked us if we wanted to be put on a list as willing to upgrade, we said yes. We also booked an SS for this time around. We had an S last October on the Zuiderdam and loved the space it provided and the laundry service as well as the priority tendering, however didn't use enough other services to warrant the addtional $500pp this time. Last time the price differenced netted out to $150pp so we took the S. We shall see if we are offered an upgrade to an S this October. We booked the SS on the side of the ship where it juts out so the SS is slightly larger than most. There is also a larger verandah, the flip side is the reduced privacy on the verandah, however, that didn't matter at all to me, I'd rather have the additional space.

We had one of these SS cabins and didn't find the privacy reduced, in fact we found that standing in that section that juts out we could see into all the other verandahs... :D . We were in 8094 and LOVED it.

We had one of these SS cabins and didn't find the privacy reduced, in fact we found that standing in that section that juts out we could see into all the other verandahs... :D . We were in 8094 and LOVED it.

Awesome! I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed it. I'm quite anxious to see it in comparison to the S we had last year as far as space goes. Our friends booked the same cabin two decks above us.

Archived