Need help traveling cheap

valerie_ny

I will be taking a cruise out of NO with my 3 daughters. (15, 11, and 9) Is there a cheap way to get to the pier from the airport? A lot of people have mentioned taking a taxi, but $52 plus tip one way is pretty steep. Could we take a bus? Would our luggage be a problem? When we return I would like to spend the day with the girls in NO. We'd have to find something to do with our luggage first. Are there areas we should avoid? Any recommendations on something fun and inexpensive? I was thinking to just find a good area to walk around and shop and an inexpensive place to get some good NO food then find a way to get to our hotel near the airport. I saw something about a trip to a place where they make the parade floats, any opinions on that? Please help? BTW: I don't have the best sense of direction, so it would have to be a fairly simple plan.

I'm not sure about airport to pier. I've heard it said you can arrange a limo for about $40. Maybe you could check into that.

An inexpensive thing to do in NO is ride the streetcar. You can get a vistour pass for $5.00 which allows unlimited streetcar, bus rides for the day. A ride on the St. Charles streetcar through the Garden district might be fun and you can get off at Audobon park and enjoy the park.

There's also a Ferry to Algiers point which is free. Mardisgras world is over there but I don't know if there is a fee for Mardis Gras World.

Another option is to walk around French Quarter, visit the French Market and if you go to Central Grocery, you can get a Muffaletta Sandwicha and probably split it for lunch. Supposed to be very good and very cheap. Visit Jackson Square and Armstrong Park.

I don't know what to tell you to do with your luggage, though.

Budget Queen takes the bus, but don't think I would, if for no other reason than for how much stuff I pack. But it is cheap.

A reasonable priced way for me is to rent a car from Hertz at the airport and drop it off (no drop off charge) at the Hertz on Convention Blvd. This is also the closet one to the cruise ships. From their I have walked, but there is also a shuttle you can take from the Fulton St garage (same parking as for Hertz drop off). Price depends on what you reserve and what date. Always been cheaper than a taxi for me.

Going back to the airport, for whatever reason, it costs more to rent from the Convention Blvd location and drop off at the airport. Depending on the time of day you pick up, you could drive to your motel and drive to the airport the next day to drop off at Hertz.

I would try to check the luggage at one of the nearby hotels for the day. I think some have checked at Hilton. I imaging for a fee, they don't care if you are staying there or not, but you could always say you are checking in later.

You might want to just leave your luggage in the terminal for the day. Spend the day in the french quarter and then go back and get your bags. I don't think mardi gras world is worth the trip across the river. If you want specific info just ask and I'll try to help. Never go into any neighborhoods you are not familiar with. Try taking a limo to the pier. What hotel are you staying at?

Thanks for the info. We are staying at a hotel next to the airport as we have an early flight in the morning. Problem with not going into any neighborhoods I don't know is, I don't know any. I was there once a long time ago, but only remember a few things. We ate a place that had a long wait apparently for powdered donuts. We went through a lot of shops that mainly sold costumes, we ate at a place called acme something, which was good and that place or a similar place would be good, (price and food) and we walked through an area where there were some street performers. Think one guy was walking on glass or eating it, can't remember. I also can't remember how I got to any of those places. And yes, I am pretty clueless.

If interested in the car rental, depending on when you travel, there is a pretty good coupon here:

http://www.americawest.com/flightfund/promotions/ff_carpartner.htm

Print off and keep with you if you are going to use.

http://www.cafedumonde.com/

There is also a branch in hte Riverwalk mall next to the cruise ships.

Acme oyster is still there:

http://www.acmeoyster.com/

Think the performers might have been around Jackson Square.

I think New Orleans holds the record for people not remembering things.

There are areas downtown and near the french quarter you'll want to avoid. My best suggestion is upon getting to the french quarter, find a cop on the beat, hotel security officer or meter maid and ask about the area you're in and where you'd like to go. They are there day in and day out all day and can give you good information on where to and not to go.

Since you're traveling with children, i'd suggest only going during daylight hours. After dark it gets pretty wild and roudy in the french quarter..... hense the phrase "The city that never sleeps" :D

Archived