Anyone else get a connecting Cabin on Monarch that they didnt want!

Just wondering if anyone else got a connecting cabin on Monarch but didnt request it? Have one on upcoming cruise on Feb 22? Might not pose any problems?

Did you book a specific cabin and they changed it, or did you book a GTY?

Pardon my ignorance but what is a GTY? :rolleyes: We booked the cruise through our travel agent in Ireland and thats the only rooms that "were available" as advised by RC??

Well, if it was the only room available, and you booked it, then that's what you got. How could they give you a room that wasn't available? If you didn't like the room, you shouldn't have booked it.

I am feeling that I am missing something here; it just doesn't seem like a logical question.

That's bizarre..........I posted in response to IrishGirl Cruiser's post, and even quoted it in my response, but my post appears above hers! :confused:

Just wondering if anyone else got a connecting cabin on Monarch but didnt request it? Have one on upcoming cruise on Feb 22? Might not pose any problems?

I would have avoided booking a cabin with a connecting door..Just as I would never want a hotel room with one...Just the feeling of a lack of privacy and possible noise, especially in an inside cabin as sound can be amplified.... If this was a GTY I would ask if there is anything else available..Good luck and enjoy your cruise !!!

Pardon my ignorance but what is a GTY? :rolleyes: We booked the cruise through our travel agent in Ireland and thats the only rooms that "were available" as advised by RC??

A GTY is like a run of the house..can be any location within a certain class or better based on availability....and usually a good value for your money as it will be priced less...However don't ever feel that you cannot ask about any other locations..Have a deck plan in front of you so you will have a better understanding ...Good luck !!

A GTY is like a run of the house..can be any location within a certain class or better based on availability....and usually a good value for your money as it will be priced less...However don't ever feel that you cannot ask about any other locations..Have a deck plan in front of you so you will have a better understanding ...Good luck !!

I thought my question was "logical", maybe others didnt!!!!

Ashland thank you for your kind response, i understand GTY now and will use your advice for future bookings, many thanks again :)

I am also from Ireland and when I received my cabin details from the travel agent, I discovered that it was a connecting cabin on the Radiance of the Seas. I was delighted to read that other people were concerned about this as well. Thanks for explaining GTY as I didn't know what it meant either.

My cabin is an Oceanview and therefore I wonder is the layout different in connecting cabins? I would not have a problem provided that it is a double door and that we have privacy. It is most interesting that these cabins have been allocated to people that left the choice of cabin up to RCCL. My only request was a large oceanview.

I was in a connecting cabin on the Explorer once, like that i was kind of blind booking it, we could hear our neighbours but in fairness they were very quiet, polite and understanding people as they could obviously hear us too! Im just worried that with the Monarch being a very old ship that the noise issues might be a problem? When are you going cruising? Have you been before?

I am also from Ireland and when I received my cabin details from the travel agent, I discovered that it was a connecting cabin on the Radiance of the Seas. I was delighted to read that other people were concerned about this as well. Thanks for explaining GTY as I didn't know what it meant either.

My cabin is an Oceanview and therefore I wonder is the layout different in connecting cabins? I would not have a problem provided that it is a double door and that we have privacy. It is most interesting that these cabins have been allocated to people that left the choice of cabin up to RCCL. My only request was a large oceanview.

I was in a connecting cabin on the Explorer once, like that i was kind of blind booking it, we could hear our neighbours but in fairness they were very quiet, polite and understanding people as they could obviously hear us too! Im just worried that with the Monarch being a very old ship that the noise issues might be a problem? When are you going cruising? Have you been before?

I, too, was given a connecting cabin, without requesting it, on the Liberty of the Seas, 5/30/10. I thought that was strange. I did not book a GTY, I booked a balcony on deck 6. This is my first time on RCI so I just figured they have so many connecting cabins that you get one sometimes. On Carnival, we sometimes requested them and NEVER got one.

IrishGirl.

Thanks for sharing your experience with me. It is exactly what I was thinking myself. Were there double doors or a single door? I just think from past cruises and looking into the cabins that the layout was different in some cabins. Perhaps, these cabins are the connecting ones?

We are going from San Diego to Mexico in April. Yes we have been on a number of cruises mostly with RCCL.

Let me know how you get on so I can get it changed, if it turns out a complete disaster.

I think it may be different in some of the "E" cabins on the Freedom class ships because their is a chair instead of a love seat to compensate for the door.

I've had 3 or 4 connecting cabins and have never heard my neighbors. I have, on the other hand, heard some loud neighbors through "regular" walls. I think it is simply the luck of the draw.

IrishGirl.

Thanks for sharing your experience with me. It is exactly what I was thinking myself. Were there double doors or a single door? I just think from past cruises and looking into the cabins that the layout was different in some cabins. Perhaps, these cabins are the connecting ones?

We are going from San Diego to Mexico in April. Yes we have been on a number of cruises mostly with RCCL.

Let me know how you get on so I can get it changed, if it turns out a complete disaster.

A friend of mine gave me the name of a website that shows up every cabin that is available. Im only a member of cruise critic since october and i think its brill!! People are very good to share their views with you and they give pretty sound advice! Mexico is lovely, we (myself and my mom) were on the Mariner in October, we sailed out of LA, it was a fab trip, im going with my two best friends on a 4 nighter next month.

With regard to the doors, i think there was a single door in ours, we had a promanade room? I asked maintance to block it up some extra bit and a man came up a taped around the open seals and it made a bit of a difference, i would feel uncomfortable hearing neighbours?

Im presuming your from Cork i.e. Fota2248!!!!

If i can change my cabin ill let you know straight away, and how we worked around it!

Connecting cabins all have double doors, just like in a hotel, did your TA go over the available cabins and their configuration with you before booking, if they had you maybe could have chosen a different, non connecting cabin.

You got it in one!!! The port of the cruise ships?

Many thanks for bringing up this subject. I agree I would feel very uncomfortable if someone had to tape up the door. I thought they might be double doors as in hotels. I will see if I can change it tomorrow. I prefer the smaller ships so I have no experience of the other classes even though I have been on them on day visits. I know you will have a wonderful time. You are so lucky to cruise so often. The last time (2008) we did the Panama Canal on the Serenade which ended in San Francisco.

You got it in one!!! The port of the cruise ships?

Many thanks for bringing up this subject. I agree I would feel very uncomfortable if someone had to tape up the door. I thought they might be double doors as in hotels. I will see if I can change it tomorrow. I prefer the smaller ships so I have no experience of the other classes even though I have been on them on day visits. I know you will have a wonderful time. You are so lucky to cruise so often. The last time (2008) we did the Panama Canal on the Serenade which ended in San Francisco.

Oh you should try the bigger ones, they are just fantastic, we think there is no holiday like a cruise. I know its an awful long haul travelling that far but its sooooo worth it! We're booked onto the Oasis in October, cant wait, mom and me are like two children counting down to it!! Any other questions you have dont hesitate to contact me!:D

Leanne

As other posters have noted, you might get a chair instead of a small sofa, but that's the only real drawback. You can tell by Deck Plans which room are adjoining.

Funny Story: I was reading a ship review once on here; poster mentioned he had an adjoining room and the door was open when he arrived, but the guests in the next room were so nice they left it open for the entire cruise! I thought that was odd, but after reading more of the review, it turned out it was a Gay Cruise.

Yes, I agree that this is a fantastic site. Lucky for some they don't have the huge air fares that we have to pay to join a cruise. Hopefully some day we will be able to join a cruise in Ireland at these prices and be in the sunshine within a few days.

I still have not made up my mind about changing as some members are reporting that these cabins have double doors. That would be acceptable. Nobody has come back on my question re cabin layout. I think that these Oceanview cabins have the bed against the wall of the ajoining cabin as against the window. Is this correct?

Yes, I agree that this is a fantastic site. Lucky for some they don't have the huge air fares that we have to pay to join a cruise. Hopefully some day we will be able to join a cruise in Ireland at these prices and be in the sunshine within a few days.

I still have not made up my mind about changing as some members are reporting that these cabins have double doors. That would be acceptable. Nobody has come back on my question re cabin layout. I think that these Oceanview cabins have the bed against the wall of the ajoining cabin as against the window. Is this correct?

When we had our connecting rooms the bed was against the wall? We were in a promenade room on the bigger ship, perhaps the smaller ships are layed out differently, as looking at pics of our "upcoming" connecting room the beds are against the window - maybe it would be worth sending an email to Crown and Anchor expressing your concern! I did!!!! They mailed me back to say that other rooms may be available but contact my travel agent!! They would tell you though if the rooms were double doored? Like i said when we had the connecting door we could hear the people but they were very respectful as were we to them, i was on holidays with my mom and we both were very quiet in our room and didnt have tv blarring all night?

Wouldnt if be fab if RC could sail out of Cobh or even Dublin to the Med, id be on one every month with my mom!!!!!

Archived