Alaska northbound view at night??

tpbf

I have been using the Princess (going on Diamond late May) Upton book and map to make special note of things I don't want to miss as we sail past. However, it suddenly occurs to me that I have no way of knowing if our passing recommended sights will happen at night.

Given that almost no on lives in the passage, can you see anything in the dark? I am thinking that, even in May, once in Alaska it might not ever really get dark (or does it?). However, the "night" (sunset to sunrise) is longer while in Canadian waters. (9 to 5 vs 11 - 4, I think)

Those of you who have been there (or live there): Can you see anything on the shore area in night at the end of May? I keep thinking I should have learned this in 5th grade, but I just don't know.

If you truely want to view the "most" scenic sailing, it is necessary that you are up early and stay up later.

Especially for your only option of seeing Vancouver Island, then it's necessary you consider being out 1/2 hour before the posted dawn time. Very worthwhile.

Also at least that amount of time heading into Juneau. Add through dusk with a Juneau and Skagway departure.

Glacier Bay, be up at least a 1/2 before dawn. Going through Icy Strait, has always been successful, coming from Skagway/Juneau for humpback sightings.

Again, if it's a priority for you to see scenic sailing. This is ALWAYS my timeframes on Alaska cruises, and I've been greatly rewarded.

Budget Queen, how about Southbound from Whittier? Thanks in advance.

If going to College Fjords, stay up late, and get up early. Otherwise you go across the open Gulf. The rest depends on your port times. Be out late and past the departure of Glacier Bay- when the ship will drop off the rangers. About a half hour later, you are sailing by Point Adolphus. Some ships will detour.

Last sailing day, plan on an all day look out, sailing inside Vancouver Island.

There are many other specific areas I know, which are too numerous for general comments.

Archived