Elevator Roulette

toberman

IF?? someone other than Pearl would tell me WTH it is, instead of going off on rants about something that had nothing to do with the question, I could make an educated decision on whether or not I want to do Elevator Roulette. Right now it seems like 'Russian Roulette' to even ask a question on these boards !!

LOL. They are a feisty bunch on this board! A lot of people are so focused on their own agendas they never really read the question. When reading the replies to a question, one really has to separate the wheat from the chaff! It seems some are always ready for a fight.

Hope you enjoy your cruise! I'm leaving tomorrow for a 15 day Panama on the Coral. YAY!

Pearl

um, probably not this one! :eek: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=elevator%20roulette

this one is just trying to guess which elevator will end up taking you to another floor: http://www.joewrite.com/2006/11/new-game-elevator-roulette/

this one is listed under "dr. fun's ways to enjoy the game of life":

Elevator Roulette

Usually best with two or more people. Get into an elevator, close the door, hit the buttons for all the floors and then swing into a song you have all agreed upon. As the doors open, you can either be bold and continue singing, or act normal and pretend that you don't know the other people in the elevator.

hope this helps :D

um, probably not this one! :eek: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=elevator%20roulette

this one is just trying to guess which elevator will end up taking you to another floor: http://www.joewrite.com/2006/11/new-game-elevator-roulette/

this one is listed under "dr. fun's ways to enjoy the game of life":

Elevator Roulette

Usually best with two or more people. Get into an elevator, close the door, hit the buttons for all the floors and then swing into a song you have all agreed upon. As the doors open, you can either be bold and continue singing, or act normal and pretend that you don't know the other people in the elevator.

hope this helps :D

LOL I don't think that this is the version of the game the OP was referring to. I am sure it is the one I refer to earlier on in this thread that was mentioned in the Coral Princess review. Hmm. Mind you, he did say he had heard it was a gas.

Pearl

Edited by Pearlbill

LOL. They are a feisty bunch on this board! A lot of people are so focused on their own agendas they never really read the question. When reading the replies to a question, one really has to separate the wheat from the chaff! It seems some are always ready for a fight.

Hope you enjoy your cruise! I'm leaving tomorrow for a 15 day Panama on the Coral. YAY!

Pearl

It appears that what sparked the "feistiness" was when someone posted about the teens hijacking the elevator and that's what sparked everyone's reactions that were OT. Many times it's those kinds of posts that lead a post astray.;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vickie_bernie viewpost.gif

okay I give, what is elevator roulette, sounds like fun!

There are four aft elevators.

Elevator roulette is set up on deck 7 in front of these elevators.

The indicators of what floors the elevators are at are covered.

You then place your (free) chip(s) to bet which elevator will be the next one to open its doors on that floor.

Regular roulette as a 1 in 38 chance of picking the right number. Elevator roulette gives you a 1 in 4 chance of being right.

I cut and pasted this from the 'Live from ...' thread referenced earlier. I'd be willing to try it out ; )

Edited by BananaAnna

and there you have it!! (although I do kind of like the singing one a bit better -and yes, except for the pushing all the buttons part)

I almost hate to admit it. But if the elevator opened and there were a couple of kids sitting at a desk stone faced asking me if I had a reservation........

I'd probably be rolling on the floor laughing so hard I could barely breath. Even the very thought of it has me laughing.

IF?? someone other than Pearl would tell me WTH it is, instead of going off on rants about something that had nothing to do with the question, I could make an educated decision on whether or not I want to do Elevator Roulette. Right now it seems like 'Russian Roulette' to even ask a question on these boards !!

I am sorry your thread went off topic though I am not sure it did in truth, but in MY first post I said that I did not know what it was either but anything that involves games with the elevators causes me grave concern. The posts that followed about kids commandeering elevators for WHATEVER and that it was HARMLESS fun show that I was right to be concerned.

I wondered what this game was, also. I don't think it's funny to push elevator buttons and run away (though it was funny when I was a child!). Even seeing a brief description of the game, where people bet on which floors an elevator stops at - doesn't make me feel more comfortable with it. Some will try to get into the game, to control the results - to the detriment of other passengers.

I try to use the stairs as much as possible (meet DH somewhere else, as he refuses to use stairs) - but I don't think elevator games are much fun for people who have mobility problems.

Not a bunch here I'd want to cruise with. Not a sense of humor among them. I thought it was inventive. Have spent 33 yrs working w/ convicts and the world would be a better place if more kids occupied themselves w/ what amounts to victimless and imaginative pursuits.

So you had to wait for another elevator. Were you on deadline? You're on VACATION.. roll w/ the punches..

Really? Stealing a cruise line employee's desk and chair, then dragging them into an elevator, and then thinking it's so terribly "funny" to go up and down with their "Do you have a reservation?" antics? This is going to make the world a better place with fewer children who grow up to become convicts? You've got to be kidding.

It is not victimless and it is not imaginative. Do you even give a damn about the passengers who can't just take the stairs instead? Not just those who are in wheelchairs or using scooters. There are other disabilities that are invisible, but that make climbing flights and flights of stairs quite difficult. How about the parent trying to get his or her cranky/tired/ill/needs to be changed toddler up or down several decks to get back to the cabin? Maybe the elderly passenger who needs to go lie down (or use the facilities) or a woman who needs to, um, "take care of something" back at the cabin? Or what about the fact that there are more than 2,000 other passengers onboard who have every right to expect that a couple of teens will not have stolen property and used it to take an elevator out of commission because they are too damn lazy to bother to find one of the hundred fun activities offered onboard? If they have to resort to that to have fun, they don't belong on a cruise ship.

beachchick

p.s., Yes, we are parents; yes, we love to have fun and laugh; no, we don't care to "roll with the punches" in this case.

Edited by beachchick

Really? Stealing a cruise line employee's desk and chair, then dragging them into an elevator, and then thinking it's so terribly "funny" to go up and down with their "Do you have a reservation?" antics? This is going to make the world a better place with fewer children who grow up to become convicts? You've got to be kidding.

It is not victimless and it is not imaginative. Do you even give a damn about the passengers who can't just take the stairs instead? Not just those who are in wheelchairs or using scooters. There are other disabilities that are invisible, but that make climbing flights and flights of stairs quite difficult. How about the parent trying to get his or her cranky/tired/ill/needs to be changed toddler up or down several decks to get back to the cabin? Maybe the elderly passenger who needs to go lie down (or use the facilities) or a woman who needs to, um, "take care of something" back at the cabin? Or what about the fact that there are more than 2,000 other passengers onboard who have every right to expect that a couple of teens will not have stolen property and used it to take an elevator out of commission because they are too damn lazy to bother to find one of the hundred fun activities offered onboard? If they have to resort to that to have fun, they don't belong on a cruise ship.

beachchick

p.s., Yes, we are parents; yes, we love to have fun and laugh; no, we don't care to "roll with the punches" in this case.

It's flippin hilarious. If it were my kid, of course I'd take him to task when I found out. Yeah, it's funny, but I'd hold his feet to the fire for the act, he wouldn't do it again.... But c'mon, that's pretty tame stuff for two bored teenage boys. We're not talking about John Dillenger here.

Electronic forums are odd. So many seem to have zero tolerance for things that would never bug them at all in the real world. Maybe not you Beachchick, but many.

I almost hate to admit it. But if the elevator opened and there were a couple of kids sitting at a desk stone faced asking me if I had a reservation........

I'd probably be rolling on the floor laughing so hard I could barely breath. Even the very thought of it has me laughing.

I must admit that I would be tempted to play along.

"Why, Yes, I have an appt with the CEO. Is that you?" pointing to the kid that didn't ask the question, since the other would be receptionist.

It's flippin hilarious. If it were my kid, of course I'd take him to task when I found out. Yeah, it's funny, but I'd hold his feet to the fire for the act, he wouldn't do it again.... But c'mon, that's pretty tame stuff for two bored teenage boys. We're not talking about John Dillenger here.

Electronic forums are odd. So many seem to have zero tolerance for things that would never bug them at all in the real world. Maybe not you Beachchick, but many.

Ah...tis the way of Cruise Critic. as a Pearlbill said "we are a feisty bunch"

"Elevator Roulette" is explained on the Princess Forum on a thread entitled "Live from the Coral Princess Dec. 7-22. Pia 1913"

Teenagers were not involved. It was adults.

Before getting all worked up about "Elevator Roulette" find out what it is.

Pearl

I think people (me included) were more "worked up" about the desk and chairs in the elevator and the do you have a reservation than the elevator roulette.

That may be true. And yes, if I have zero tolerance for something in the real world, I say so online. If it's something that wouldn't bother me in the real world, it wouldn't bother me if discussed online.

Sure, it's not the same as armed robbery, but it's not a simple thing to steal property and use it to annoy other passengers. I don't know, maybe it's because I've seen people in wheelchairs waiting for elevators and know that they don't have the option to just take the stairs. Making them wait longer because of a couple of teens would bother me. Maybe it's because I have physical limitations and there are times when I need to take the elevator. If I had to wait longer because a couple of teens pulled that kind of stunt, I'd be annoyed. But what bothers me most with this is that there are so many fun and interesting activities already available onboard. If teens are so bored or lazy that they have to resort to this, then they obviously do not appreciate the gifts their parents have given them. That bothers me both here and in the real world.

There are many pranks and stunts that I would and do find funny. As I wrote, this is not one of them.

beachchick

Edited by beachchick

That may be true. And yes, if I have zero tolerance for something in the real world, I say so online. If it's something that wouldn't bother me in the real world, it wouldn't bother me if discussed online.

Sure, it's not the same as armed robbery, but it's not a simple thing to steal property and use it to annoy other passengers. I don't know, maybe it's because I've seen people in wheelchairs waiting for elevators and know that they don't have the option to just take the stairs. Making them wait longer because of a couple of teens would bother me. Maybe it's because I have physical limitations and there are times when I need to take the elevator. If I had to wait longer because a couple of teens pulled that kind of stunt, I'd be annoyed. But what bothers me most with this is that there are so many fun and interesting activities already available onboard. If teens are so bored or lazy that they have to resort to this, then they obviously do not appreciate the gifts their parents have given them. That bothers me both here and in the real world.

There are many pranks and stunts that I would and do find funny. As I wrote, this is not one of them.

beachchick

Having been a teenaged boy, and having raised two of them, all I can say is that the boys probably didn't think past getting a laugh. Most kids are good, and if you had told them as they were picking up the desk about folks with mobility problems depending on the elevator, they probably would have put the desk down. I just hope later their parents impressed on them what they did.

Having been a teenaged boy, and having raised two of them, all I can say is that the boys probably didn't think past getting a laugh. Most kids are good, and if you had told them as they were picking up the desk about folks with mobility problems depending on the elevator, they probably would have put the desk down. I just hope later their parents impressed on them what they did.

I agree...they probably didn't think...but that doesn't make it right or make us just overlook it as innocent and funny or "boys will be boys". Teenage boys (and girls...let's not put it all on boys) not thinking has resulted in some pretty horrible things. I'm not saying this "prank" could or would have caused something horrible to happen...just saying that not thinking does not excuse what they did.