NPR interview with Goldstein on Haiti

Spara

While this may not end the debate, Mr. Goldstein provided clear, concise commentary on the situation, complete with facts and ended on a positive note in looking to the future and RCI's desire to help Haiti rebuild in a real way.

Thanks for posting this link. Maybe everyone who is tempted to start or respond to a thread regarding whether or not RCI should be going to Labadee should first listen to Goldstein's remarks.

I agree wholeheartedly. He makes a strong argument for his company's continued involvement in efforts to improve Haiti's physical and economic situation.

I commented on this in the earlier Labadee thread.

I thought Goldstein did pretty well, and I'm one who rarely stands up for big corporations.

If RCCL's $50m project at Labadee is the largest foreign investment in the country, that's pretty sad.

I'm sure economists and sociologists can debate the effects of cruise ports on these islands, but I'm neither. All I can say is that by stopping at any little island, I hope we're doing something for the local economy.

Excellent interview! I was impressed with the emphasis on long term development. Let's pray that Haiti gets the honest and competent political leadership that will build up its economy and allow its citizens to enjoy a decent standard of living!

Archived