9 yr old boy and Golden Princess - Alaska

oliverweagle

Hi there! My wife and are pondering an Alaska cruise. We have not sailed Princess before. We would like an aft cabin and due to airfare $ - a round trip Seattle sailing on the Golden looks promising. (Could not find an aft cabin that would accommodate 3 on the Sapphire) I'd really like some insight as to Alaska and an active 9 year old and what activities would be available - as well as kid's activities on the Golden itself.

Thanks! Ollie

I too picked the Golden for potential "kid" things too (July 10th)....although my kids are 15 and 21....but still looks as if there will be "stuff" for them to be entertained by....:D (if Alaska isn't enough) :)

I took my 3 children, aged 4, 11 and 13 on an Alaskan cruise last year. There was so much more for them to do on shore than in the Caribbean. It's a great destination for kids. Check out the Alaska board, it's under Ports of Call, for some great excursion ideas.

I cruised Alaska with my niece and nephew, when they were young.

The sights and sounds of Alaska are jaw dropping for one and all, including 9 year olds:)

I know he will like either Glacier Bay or Tracy Arm. These are life time memories for anyone, and your ship will do one or the other.

You will see eagles, for sure, either going in and out of Ketchikan or in and out of Skagway.

If you can, go on one of the bicycle shore excursions. My nephew loved that!

The Mt. Roberts Tramway in Juneau is spectacular - thrilling for all.

If you can, go on one of the whale watching shore excursions, in Juneau or Victoria. They are wonderful and truly exciting.

Pizza and burgers will be enjoyed by one and all.

No matter what you choose to do, I know that the 9 year old and you will absolutely love it!

Hi there! My wife and are pondering an Alaska cruise. We have not sailed Princess before. We would like an aft cabin and due to airfare $ - a round trip Seattle sailing on the Golden looks promising. (Could not find an aft cabin that would accommodate 3 on the Sapphire) I'd really like some insight as to Alaska and an active 9 year old and what activities would be available - as well as kid's activities on the Golden itself.

Thanks! Ollie

Here a link to Princess' website regarding the youth program. You might want to confirm with Princess that these activities will be available on your ship and cruise.

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/activities/youth_teen/index.html

That being said...Alaska is a wonderful destination for families; however, Alaska does tend to attract an older crowd vs the Caribbean or Mexico so although I'm sure they will be a few others kids on board; it won't be like the warmer weather cruises. Weather can be very unpredictable in Alaska. You can have warm sunny days to cold overcast and rainy days. Since an Alaskan cruise is very port intensive there be plenty to do onshore plus the scenery and wild life is simply spectacular.

Thanks! Ollie

Here is a link for a general idea on the children's programs:

http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb196/cruisinmama06/Princess%20Patters/

We went to Alaska on the Sapphire in 2008. My daughter was 12 at the time. She had a great time at the kids club. On the last night they were all given a little stuffed animal. We went end of June 1st of July and the age range was large. There were a lot of families on the ship.

My daughter was 7 when we went on the RT Alaskan cruise. We went in mid-August when there were plenty of kids, and so plenty of activities. Princess has a partnership with the California Science Center so there's some itinerary-related activities (eg. building a model of glaciers and the solar system).

If you go from late June through near the end of August, there should be plenty of kids.

Our first cruise was to Alaska on the Coral when my sons were 8 and 9. They are totally hooked on cruising and in fact my now 11 year old wants to be a chef in a cruise ship when he grows up. The kids camp on the ship in Alaska was amazing. They did a Jr. Ranger's Program while in Glacier Bay, they made totem poles after ketchikan, etc. On shore, there are many things that the kids will enjoy with a wide range of prices. I have no doubt that your son will have a blast!

Archived