Stearn (Rear) Facing Balconys

firefighter15

Wife and I booked our 5th cruise after taking a few years away from cruising to have kids. Luckily the mother in law is graceous enough to watch them while we get away on a 4 night cruise.

My question is was it worth the extra money to get the rear facing vs a regular balcony.

We have done balconys on every cruise that offered one and would never do anything less, it is so nice to wake up and sleep with the door open and the ocean sounds. But now will all I hear is engine/propeller noise?

Carnival Fascination 5-6-10

We were on the Sensation, the aft balconies are extended and the ones on the port or stearn are alot smaller. We loved it and would do it again in a heartbeat.

The stern is the aft. The right side of the ship is the Starboard, and the left is the Port.

We love the aft balconies. You will feel some vibration when pulling in and out of dock, but you will feel that anywhere in the back of the ship, not just in an aft stateroom. It's not horrible, either - just something you will feel, and probably something that will startle you the first time you feel it.

The pointy end is the bow, or forward.

The blunt end is the stern or aft.

The fat part is midships.

Looking forward, the side on you right is starboard, and the side on your left is port.

Looking aft, the side on your right is port and the side on your left is starboard.

If you're docked with the right side against the pier then you are docked with starboard side, portside to.

It all so simple.:eek:

Aft balconies are great, sometimes there is some NORMAL vibration caused by cavitation of the props.

The pointy end is the bow, or forward.

The blunt end is the stern or aft.

The fat part is midships.

Looking forward, the side on you right is starboard, and the side on your left is port.

Looking aft, the side on your right is port and the side on your left is starboard.

If you're docked with the right side against the pier then you are docked with starboard side, portside to.

It all so simple.:eek:

And where we party on the Lido deck above the aft cabins is the Fantail;)

Wife and I booked our 5th cruise after taking a few years away from cruising to have kids. Luckily the mother in law is graceous enough to watch them while we get away on a 4 night cruise.

My question is was it worth the extra money to get the rear facing vs a regular balcony.

We have done balconys on every cruise that offered one and would never do anything less, it is so nice to wake up and sleep with the door open and the ocean sounds. But now will all I hear is engine/propeller noise?

Carnival Fascination 5-6-10

Only you will know once you try it.. we have done 6 of our 8 cruises in aft wraps we LUV them.. maybe you will maybe you won't... YES you will hear the thrusters when you arrive and leave port.. nothing beats the aft view tho;)

Um,, all balconies are not created equal. We had a Verandah balcony on the Fascination and it was tiny. Had an AFT ( Stern) balconny on the Sensation and it was AWESOME Just huge. and very quiet. yes, a little noisy when we pulled into port, but I just smiled, rolled over and went back to sleep

Archived