RCCL Freedom w/ a 12 month old

tinaka

This May will be mine and DHs 5th cruise, but the first time traveling with our son who will be just short of 1 year. I've been reading thru the boards and have found a lot of good advice, but figured I would post to ask for any advice others may be willing to share.

I'm trying to figure out what I need to bring and what is available on board. So far I'm found that a stroller is a definite must, but hadn't thought much about entertainment. I thought I saw somewhere that you can get toys onboard Freedom...anybody done this?

Also, what about bedding? I'll be requesting a pack and play/crib, but should I bring anything else?

Thanks in advance!!!

Thought of a couple more questions....

What about meal time utensils? Do they have plastic bowls and small spoons, or do I need to bring these?

Also, it says that babysitting is available for children 1 year and up. My son will be 1 week short of his first birthday. Do they check their exact age?

Ok...I think I have found the answers to all of my questions in various other threads, except one.

Does anybody know about the age requirement of in-room babysitting on the Freedom? It says minimum 1 year old and my DS will be 1 week short of 1 year when we are on the cruise. Did they check ID or anything for age?

Ok...I think I have found the answers to all of my questions in various other threads, except one.

Does anybody know about the age requirement of in-room babysitting on the Freedom? It says minimum 1 year old and my DS will be 1 week short of 1 year when we are on the cruise. Did they check ID or anything for age?

When we were on the Freedom in Sept we were cruising with DS 3 yrs and DD 8 months. When I reserved babysitting they said "how old are the kids" I said "3 and 1" they didn't bat an eye.

They dont check. I dont even think they have access to those kids of records at guest relations. You will be fine. In your case, even if they did "find out" I'm pretty sure they would give you a pass. Ask for Verdeen. She was our sitter on the Freedom in Sept. Nice lady.

@sas80 - Thanks for the info. My husband figured it wouldn't be a problem, but I tend to be a stickler for details and I probably would have assumed that we couldn't use the service. I'm not sure that we'll need to use it, since we have other family coming with us, but it's good to know we have the opportunity.

Btw, do you remember how much it cost?

@Julienatul - We're really excited about it. At 8 months my son is crawling and pulling himself up to stand/walking around furniture, so I have a feeling he'll be going full speed by the time the cruise arrives.

Yes you can go get toys on Freedom. Some hit the toy jackpot and get some relatively new toys - others aren't so lucky ;).

Some things not to forget - small bottle of dish soap (to wash the sippy cups or bottles). That's another thing not to forget, if he drinks from sippy cups, don't forget them. They don't have plastic cups/lids readily available onboard - so bring your own.

The waiters are super friendly with bringing whatever you need. So if you want plain pasta noodles to chop up, they will try to accommodate you. They always brought us a variety of soft fruits and breads right away so the kids would have something to munch on while waiting.

You can get milk for free in the dining room, in the windjammer and also in the cafe promenade (just ask for it, they serve it with the cookies).

You can join in the parent/child fisher price play group called Royal Babies/Tots. The 45 minute sessions meet at least 3 times/day. They have stroller walks, play time and even bedtime stories at night.

You can pre-order diapers to the cabin to save on packing them (if you wish).

The Baby Splash Zone is the only water place the baby will be allowed to splash allowed in - but at least he will have a place to play in the water.

And don't miss the ice show - the music and movements on the ice may hold his attention for a little while and if it doesn't - the seats aren't so close together that you can't get up and walk out if he gets a little cranky :)

They can check the baby's age. We we went on rccl with my dd she was 4 days short of 3yrs. and they checked in the computer. Thankfully they let her in.... but then she didn't like it. ugh! So they can check but if you get the right person and if they check , tell them he'll be 1yrs in a week in a nice way:)

Other than that It will be my ds , who's 8 months, first cruise next week. I'll post how it was. I wondering the same things. Bowls, spoons for baby food. I'm trying not to over pack.

Heck, I hope he sleeps through the night.

@crusinmama06 -Thanks for the additional info. I'm not sure yet where my DS will be in terms of beverages (trying to decide if we switch him to milk early to avoid needing formula on the ship), but I was hoping that whole milk would be readily available if I need it.

We are flying in on Saturday and staying by the airport to help make the travel less stressful, so we'll be able to pick up diapers and some other essentials once we arrive in Orlando, but I could see using the ship diapers if we didn't have that extra time.

@beffiegirl - I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience. Over the years I've learned how to not overpack for myself, but have a feeling it will be difficult with a 1 year old. So, any tips you pass on will be greatly appreciated.

Oh, you're going to have so much fun!!! :D

I think your questions have been answered, but I do want to add that you may have to search out information for this age group. I didn't find anyone on board that readily gave me the information for what was available for my son (14 months at the time of our Freedom cruise just shy of 2 weeks ago). THANKS to Cruise Critic members, I was aware of all these things. :)

For example, if you're interested in the toy lending program - you're going to have to ASK (just go to any Adventure Ocean desk and ask - they'll get you a bag, or two - or three, in my case - I got to choose). The playgroups were advertised in the Compass, but the stroller walks were not (not sure if they had them - never heard anything about them, but didn't ask). Babysitting is a definite "ask" or you'd never know it was offered. (FYI - the babysitters work in pairs for safety. We were fortunate to get the same sitters all week.)

Have a great cruise!!!

@QTMichele - Thanks! It's definitely going to be a different experience for us. Along with the addition of DS, we are going with a completely different group of people. We've always cruised with my parents and this time we are going with my husband's mom and siblings (some of whom have never been on a cruise).

Do you remember what the babysitting pay rate was? I thought I read somewhere that it is cash only, so I want to make sure that I have enough on hand.

Archived