New to P & O

Seniortrip

Thinking about taking my son for a senior:cool: graduation trip to Europe on P & O Azura this summer. Have been on Royal Carribbean, Celebrity, Holland America but never P & O. Would like to spend some pre or post cruise time in England. Any comments?

Its unusual to find Americans on P&O, but by no means unwelcome. By most accounts you will find it on a par with RCI, although arguably the food might be on a little better.

P&O are a very nice line, but do not have as much razzmatazz as some of the US lines. The decor tends to more subdued, and the facilities are less exciting (no climbing walls or surf simulator!). Its quite a British experience, with just enough nautical tradition thrown in to remind you that you're at sea, rather than in a hotel eg noon bells/announcement, afternoon tea. If you're lucky, you'll experience a great British sailaway, conmplete with Union Jack flags and Land of Hope and Glory...

A spell in the UK before and/or after the cruise is well worth doing - there is plenty to do within 2 hours of Southampton, including London, so you don't even have to go too far. But if you really want to range far and wide, Southampton has its own airport, so in theory you go right to the other end of the UK and then fly right back.

Enjoy!:)

I would possibly choose another cruise line, Celebrity Eclipse is based in Southampton April onwards. You MAY find P&O a bit stuffy with lots of formal & dressing up evenings, there are also those who think they own the cruise line. Southampton has areas of interest & is reasonably close to London, in fact Celebrity thinks it is IN London!!

I would possibly choose another cruise line, Celebrity Eclipse is based in Southampton April onwards. You MAY find P&O a bit stuffy with lots of formal & dressing up evenings, there are also those who think they own the cruise line. Southampton has areas of interest & is reasonably close to London, in fact Celebrity thinks it is IN London!!

Hardly LOTS. Don't you read your own posts?

There ARE lots of dressing up and formal nights compared to some of the American lines!

Maximum of 3 on Celebrity, never how long the cruise, rest casual, & formal isn't as formal either. Depending on the ship with P&O 14 nights could mean 4/5 full formal 4/5 semis, rest casual Of course one of the less formal ships would only be 4 formal, still a culture shock to some.

Thanks to all who responded to my post. Yes, I think my son would complain about too many formal nights. I rather enjoy the thought of him wearing his suit/tux for a few festive nights:o. He might just need to quietly suffer giving up his jeans and tennis shoes.

To the wise person who guessed I was from the USA, you are correct. My son and I will be traveling from Dallas, Texas.

I was very fortunate to spend a semester abroad at the University of London, many years ago. I gave my son the option of choosing where he wanted to go for his senior gift trip. He wants to see some of England along with a few other places. The P & O cruise seems to have a great itinerary.

Again, thank you to all who so kindly responded. Since it has been many years ago that I visited the area, I would appreciate suggestions for must do's while we are there. I would think we would fly into the London area, spend some precruise time there, before making our way to the port.

What a generous father! London is great as you will know.

The Big Red Bus Company open-top bus tours are a good way to see a lot of the sights with a commentary, and you can hop-on-hop-off.

The Tower of London is a unique experience.

Our grown-up kids enjoyed the Mediaeval Banquet at St. Catherine's dock one evening.

St. Paul's Cathedral and the climb up to the "whispering gallery" if you are fit!

You can google all these for more information.

Carol x

There's plenty of people who are aghast at the thought of donning a tux, especially on their holidays, but then it is quite fun to do it as its not something one gets to do in everyday life. If your son really doesn't like the thought, in general people can avoid the dress code by heading to the buffet in the evenings.

I'm curious that the P&O itineraries seem to be particularly interesting, as they don't tend to be that unusual, although this might change a bit when the new Adonia enters service. You'll find NCL, RCI and Princess cover pretty much the same ground, all of whom cruise from British ports.

In terms of must dos in London...well, how long have you got:eek:. In the west of town you've all the major museums around S.Kensington, the National and Tate Galleries, Westminster Abbey, Trafalgar Sq, Piccadilly Circus, Buckingham Palace, Harrods, the Parks (Hyde, Regents and St. James) and Convent Garden; around the City (East) you've got the Tower, St. Pauls Cathedral, Tower Bridge, Tate Modern, National Theatre, and further afield Greenwich. Not forgetting Borough Market, Leadenhall Market, Spitafields, the whole of the River Thames, London Eye, The Globe, all the theatres (West End and beyond), and countless pubs, restaurants and clubs. There's 2 weeks there to begin with, morning noon and night...no chance of getting bored!!

Things to do near Southampton :

What about Portsmouth and the Historic Dockyard where they have Nelson's Victory in dry dock as well as the Tudor Mary Rose and the finds they brought up from the latter. There are other more modern ships on the site (can't remember the names) and you can also do a harbour cruise. The best part of a day to do it properly.

Also Porchester Castle - Roman fort and castle by the sea.

If you have a few days you could always take the ferry to the Isle of Wight. Queen Victoria's place, Osborne House, is there (somewhere I haven't yet visitied)

The above have a historic bias (my passion). I would recommend you google for the local tourist information office as most parts of the UK have them and they are a great source of information not only for the local sights but also if there are any special events going on whilst you are over here.

London, as has already been mentioned, is a must do and a lively city for young and old alike.

Have a great trip!

I see all our Southern Cousins are not mentioning the North of England. We also have lots of history if you wish to travel a little further. How about YORK where we have Roman and Viking History.

Google, York, North Yorkshire on your computer and see what we have to offer.

Archived