Sapphire Princess May 1/10 Mexico & May 8/10 Coastal

Buddy604

Hey everybody!

I've just booked two weeks on the Sapphire Princess in May - one week for the Mexican Riviera followed by a one week coastal repositioning from LA back home to Vancouver.

Anyone else on either one?

Cheers,

Mike

coastal here, followed by Vancouver to Anchorage on the Coral.
Hi Biggbob - yes I saw you in the other thread and figured Aaron was a Mr. not a Mrs. as the others suggested. :)

By the way, were you and Aaron on the Diamond Princess in Jun 2008, or possibly the Golden Princess last September? If so I think we may have met.

Nope. Island Jan 2006 and Sapphire Jan 2009. This double cruise is #3 and #4 for us.

I am also a software guy. You and I should have plenty in common. Aaron is a fashion designer. At the moment he works private but has ambitions for a line of his own. We have an 18 year old son and have been together for 15 years, married for 1.5 during the time that California allowed it.

Looking forward, cheers.

bob

• 2 weeks later...

We are on the Coastal along with friends JR and Jeff and Michele and Jeff. Buddy, I think we were on a cruise with you a few years ago... not sure, but for some reason it sticks in my head. I dunno, maybe not.

Hey Aaron and Jack, it's certainly possible - I see many ships in common on your signature, but sometimes the cruises all blend together. :)

Looking forward to meeting Bob, Jack and both Aarons!

Yeah its certainly not a bad thing that they blend together. Will be fun to meet everyone.

Yeah its certainly not a bad thing that they blend together. Will be fun to meet everyone.
Ok, looking over your list again carefully it has to be Dawn Princess 05/06 and/or Golden Princess 09/08. I think it might have been the Dawn - SFO to Vancouver with a stop in Victoria? The Golden 09/08 I was only onboard for the Seattle/Vancouver leg, before hopping on the Island for Vancouver/LA.

Edited to add: D-uh! I just looked at your photo album. It was both the Golden AND the Dawn! Such a small world. :)

Ok, looking over your list again carefully it has to be Dawn Princess 05/06 and/or Golden Princess 09/08. I think it might have been the Dawn - SFO to Vancouver with a stop in Victoria? The Golden 09/08 I was only onboard for the Seattle/Vancouver leg, before hopping on the Island for Vancouver/LA.

Edited to add: D-uh! I just looked at your photo album. It was both the Golden AND the Dawn! Such a small world. :)

OH how funny is that! I was thinking it was the Dawn in May 06, but had forgotten about the Golden in Sep 08. I dont think we've ever talked or formally met so I guess randomly being on the same cruise two times makes us all addicts?

That cruise on the Dawn in 06 was our first time on Princess and was officially our honeymoon cruise. It was short but there was a good turn out for the LGBT gathering. I remember thinking how fun it was that there are organized meetings on cruises.

We didnt make it out to Buchart Gardens on that cruise and have always regretted it. Its so perfect that this time we have a long port call in Victoria.

Do you live on the west coast?

OH how funny is that! I was thinking it was the Dawn in May 06, but had forgotten about the Golden in Sep 08. I dont think we've ever talked or formally met so I guess randomly being on the same cruise two times makes us all addicts?

That cruise on the Dawn in 06 was our first time on Princess and was officially our honeymoon cruise. It was short but there was a good turn out for the LGBT gathering. I remember thinking how fun it was that there are organized meetings on cruises.

We didnt make it out to Buchart Gardens on that cruise and have always regretted it. Its so perfect that this time we have a long port call in Victoria.

Do you live on the west coast?

I think I remember you both from the Dawn Princess - I remember we had an FOD get together in Magnums, and quite a large group.

And I actually live in Vancouver, so the west coast and Alaska cruises are a great cheap getaway for me, not to mention the easy flights to LA for Mexico or Hawaii!

Did you guys ever sail out of Galveston, being reasonably close? Though if you add in the drive from Houston, a direct flight to Ft. Lauderdale from DFW might be faster. :p

I think I remember you both from the Dawn Princess - I remember we had an FOD get together in Magnums, and quite a large group.

And I actually live in Vancouver, so the west coast and Alaska cruises are a great cheap getaway for me, not to mention the easy flights to LA for Mexico or Hawaii!

Did you guys ever sail out of Galveston, being reasonably close? Though if you add in the drive from Houston, a direct flight to Ft. Lauderdale from DFW might be faster. :p

We have gone out of Galveston only once, back in 2005. Its about a 5 hour drive from Dallas and seriously, its nice to drive and not have to hassle with air travel. Unfortunately, the choice of ships, cruise lines and itineraries is limited.

We've been to Vancouver 9 times and 7 of them have been either starting or ending a cruise. We love your city and it would be one of our first choices for a place to live. Its super convenient now that there is a train between downtown and the airport.

Youre definitely in a good place for cruise and air/cruise choices.

I wish some other people would join in on our conversation. It would be fun to get to know people before the cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
May cannot come too soon for me right now! I need a getaway.

We spent last weekend in San Francisco. The weather was beautiful, and then we come back to dreary, cold and cloudy Dallas. Youre right, its not gonna get here too soon. Im counting the days.

How is Vancouver with the Olympics? Is it crowded and crazy?

Nope. Island Jan 2006 and Sapphire Jan 2009. This double cruise is #3 and #4 for us.

I am also a software guy. You and I should have plenty in common. Aaron is a fashion designer. At the moment he works private but has ambitions for a line of his own. We have an 18 year old son and have been together for 15 years, married for 1.5 during the time that California allowed it.

Looking forward, cheers.

bob

Will you join our roll call? We'd love to have you and meet you onboard!

Nina

How is Vancouver with the Olympics? Is it crowded and crazy?
It was crowded, crazy and wonderful. I've lived in a city with the Olympics before, but this was something else - what an amazing 17 days.

• 1 month later...
Time is flying - 3 and half weeks until Mexico, 4 and half until the coastal wine cruise. Is everyone getting packed yet? :)

Wow, are you sure you can handle two weeks of cruises in a row? lol

Seriously, this is one of my most anticipated cruises. Ive wanted to do this itinerary for over two years so Im glad its finally happening.

Has anyone made any plans for the ports?

We are on the coastal followed by an inside passage on the Coral. Aaron and i are not on the mexriv portion that mike is taking.

For the coastal bit we have made only the slimmest of plans for the ports. For SB we will just get off and shop a little. SB is not that big a deal to us. For SF, we have already seen the sights so we will probably take some nostalgia walks or trolley rides. If we find someone on board that wants to take us with them on their walk we may do that as well. For the northern ports, we just have no idea. They are barely discussed on the boards and so they will probably end up being taxi-rides and walk-abouts. We are not really interested in flower gardens or parks. We would be more interested in architectural tours, like mansions or churches and the like. Unfortunately there are no Princess excursions that seem to be doing anything other than dumb ole flower gardens.

For Mexico, I'm booked for the Fiesta and Tequila Tasting in PV - I saw footage in the Reflections DVD from my November cruise and it looked like fun. In Cabo I'm just going to grab a water taxi out to the arches and stop for a few hours on lovers beach.

On the coastal, I have a car booked in Santa Barbara, San Francisco and Seattle. Janet is doing the Mt. St. Helen's tour in Astoria. We'll both probably just head into town in Victoria, though it's always relaxing to just stay on the ship too. :D

We just noticed this thread the other day and must have missed it before because it started with the Mexican Riviera part…but we’re also on the 5/8 coastal repositioning cruise to Vancouver. Like others, we are really looking forward to this cruise and were immediately interested when we saw this same itinerary posted for 2009, but couldn’t swing it then. We’re both really getting excited about this and it’s nice to see some others posting on here.

We actually just got back from a Western Caribbean cruise in March but that was a last minute trip we couldn’t pass up when Princess started to practically give the ship away to sail full but we’ve had this trip planned for a year and a half. We really don’t have much planned in any ports though and just figure to go with the flow and explore on our own. I think the only things on our agenda are to find the Rogue Pub House in Astoria and my partner (Steve) has never had a chance to ride the cable cars in SF before, so we’ll fit that in. Any other suggestions on a good walking tour of SF are welcome.

We’re really just looking for a laid back and relaxing trip. I hope we get a chance to meet some of you onboard.

Dave

Pittsburgh

We are on the coastal followed by an inside passage on the Coral. Aaron and i are not on the mexriv portion that mike is taking.

For the coastal bit we have made only the slimmest of plans for the ports. For SB we will just get off and shop a little. SB is not that big a deal to us. For SF, we have already seen the sights so we will probably take some nostalgia walks or trolley rides. If we find someone on board that wants to take us with them on their walk we may do that as well. For the northern ports, we just have no idea. They are barely discussed on the boards and so they will probably end up being taxi-rides and walk-abouts. We are not really interested in flower gardens or parks. We would be more interested in architectural tours, like mansions or churches and the like. Unfortunately there are no Princess excursions that seem to be doing anything other than dumb ole flower gardens.

We did Alaska inside passage last September and loved it. My favorite was Tracy Arm Fjord.

We dont have much planned for these ports yet. We typically decide a day or so in advance. We've reserved a car for SF and will possibly go to Napa Valley with two of the friends who are on the cruise with us. Me, Id be happy walking the city or renting bikes to go across the Golden Gate bridge to Sausalito. Those are still options but we have a car reserved just in case.

We've talked about going to Haystack rock in Astoria, using public transportation.

My best friend lives in Seattle so we will probably plan to hang out with him.

When we stopped in Victoria in 2006, we didnt go to Buchart Gardens and have regretted it ever since. Last year on our Alaska cruise, Victoria was cancelled due to weather so we missed our chance to see the gardens. Hopefully we can do it this time.

I know the idea of seeing gardens can seem boring but I've learned it can be enjoyable. We went through the public gardens on a cruise stop in Halifax and it was incredibly beautiful.

Whats really nice about this itinerary is that most of the port stops continue into the evening. It allows alot of time to do things.

We just noticed this thread the other day and must have missed it before because it started with the Mexican Riviera part…but we’re also on the 5/8 coastal repositioning cruise to Vancouver. Like others, we are really looking forward to this cruise and were immediately interested when we saw this same itinerary posted for 2009, but couldn’t swing it then. We’re both really getting excited about this and it’s nice to see some others posting on here.

We actually just got back from a Western Caribbean cruise in March but that was a last minute trip we couldn’t pass up when Princess started to practically give the ship away to sail full but we’ve had this trip planned for a year and a half. We really don’t have much planned in any ports though and just figure to go with the flow and explore on our own. I think the only things on our agenda are to find the Rogue Pub House in Astoria and my partner (Steve) has never had a chance to ride the cable cars in SF before, so we’ll fit that in. Any other suggestions on a good walking tour of SF are welcome.

We’re really just looking for a laid back and relaxing trip. I hope we get a chance to meet some of you onboard.

Dave

Pittsburgh

Dave (and Steve) welcome to our tiny roll call.

The Rogue Pub House in Astoria sounds interesting so tell me more about it.

Here are some ideas for you in SF:

First stop, the Ferry Building. Its near the ship along the Embarcadero. The F-line street car goes along the Embarcadero right in front of the ship, so after the Ferry Building get it and take it up Market Street to Powell. At Powell you can get the Cable Car, but first you may want to walk a few blocks up and see Union Square. There, you can get on the Cable Car, but if its a busy day you may have to walk back down to Market where it starts. (I always try to stand on the outside of the Cable Car..its more fun plus better for snapping photos) Either way, once on the Cable Car, ride it thru the city taking in the views as it crosses the hill and down to Fishermans Wharf. From there you can see the wharf area and Pier 39 as you walk back along the Embarcadero returning to the ship.

Another idea is to start with the same F-line street car and take it up Market all the way to Castro. There you can walk around Castro. To return downtown just take the same F-line. If you want to do it quicker, go underground at Castro/Market and take the Muni train downtown. You can also walk Market Street all the way back downtown.

SFs public transportation is $2 and good for a transfer within 90-minutes. I think the Cable Cars are $5.

Here are some of our San Francisco favorites-

Cafe Flore. A unique, casual coffee house serving pastries and limited food. It has indoor and outdoor seating. Located on Market at Noe.

Pomodoro in Noe Valley. Its reasonably priced Italian in a cute little neighborhood setting. Easy to get to: take the F-line street car to Church St and then transfer to J-line Church Muni to 24th. (You can also just grab the J-line Church Muni downtown) Get off at 24th and walk a few blocks.. you will see Pomodoro on the corner at 24th and Noe.

Martunis. A martini bar with unique and creative martinis, featuring a piano bar in the back. Located on Market at Valencia.

There is an In-n-Out Burger in the Fisherman's Wharf area. Also in Fishermans Wharf you can get great Clam Chowder served in a sourdough bread bowl at Boudin Bakery Cafe.

Archived