Ketchikan Excursion - Adventure Kart Expedition

CALMOM

Has anyone done the Adventure Kart Expedition? The cost is $229/person and I was just wondering if it was worth the money. What type of Kart is it? Is it like a Dune Buggy? Did you see any wildlife?

Thank you in advance.

I remember reading something about this excursion on this board - but it was quite some time ago. Try using the search feature and see if it brings anything up. What I recall is that it was a fun excursion, but some had problems w/karts breaking down half way thru and they had to ride w/guides part of the time because of the breakdowns. I don't think you'd see much wildlife, simply because these things are loud. Sounds like a fun time though! Did something similar on Rhino 4X4's in Sitka back in 2006, and it was a blast! I believe these karts are more like go-karts at an amusement park rather than dune buggies though.

I remember reading something about this excursion on this board - but it was quite some time ago. Try using the search feature and see if it brings anything up. What I recall is that it was a fun excursion, but some had problems w/karts breaking down half way thru and they had to ride w/guides part of the time because of the breakdowns. I don't think you'd see much wildlife, simply because these things are loud. Sounds like a fun time though! Did something similar on Rhino 4X4's in Sitka back in 2006, and it was a blast! I believe these karts are more like go-karts at an amusement park rather than dune buggies though.

Thanks, I guess I'll take my chances, I think the kids will love it.

Talent - go to alaskaatvtours.com - a picture is worth a thousand words - and there you will see lots of 'em! That tour in 2006 was probably our absolute favorite AK excursion to date, well, atleast til we went whale watching with Harv and Marv in 2008! But still a very, very close second! Have recommended it to friends who have since done it and loved it too. If you're sailing on HAL, check out their Alaska shore excursions, I believe it is being offered again this year. I know it books up fast-they usually do two a day - morning and afternoon, and I think there are only 4 or 5 Rhinos, so the max on your excursion would be 10 people (2 to a Rhino). There is a short (maybe 20 minutes to half hour) small boat ride over to an island (we saw lots of eagles, sealions, and otters on the way), where you suit up and choose your Rhino (try to get in the last one in line - you can hang back, then gun it thru puddles!). You travel thru all different types of terrain - old logging roads, rain forest, meadows, black sand beaches, across salmon streams, etc. It can be, and is a rough ride - no doubt, but since we 4 wheel quite a bit, it was just fun and exciting for us. Perhaps not for someone with back problems, etc. The guide who is in the first Rhino communicates with you via radios in the helmets you wear, providing commentary about what you are seeing or are about to see. Some time is spent ripping it up on the beach with a snack (coffee, hot chocolate, smoked salmon, and tomatoe soup was what we were offered), with time to beach comb, etc.

I see this year that HAL is also offering a combined ocean raft/Rhino 4X4 excursion, with the 4X4 portion going up and around the top of Mt. Edgecomb instead of on the island - this also sounds great and we'd try it if we weren't already booked with Capt. Davey there!

Hope you get to experience this excursion if it fits the bill for you. Enjoy!

Hi,

I took my three boys on this excursion and they LOVED it. Unfortunately my oldest son managed to get his kart stuck on the rocks ( not easy to do ) and had to ride back with the guides. It was a highlight of the trip for the boys ( I thought it was fun but not a highlight for me ). Here's the link to the review I wrote about it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=372662&highlight=adventure+kart

1383264975_ATVkartsalaska.jpg.d8a12e36c4ec1c0c04cfcf425330a359.jpg

583404759_BrandongothisATVkartstuck.jpg.0ec6742a4c20907593357fdee44a01fe.jpg

915150845_ATVkartonthemove.jpg.b4a6d70f5cd91c2c4d734258ec9a5e8f.jpg

Thank for the pics. This maybe a stupid question but are the Karts automatic or manual? I've never driven a manual transmission. Thank you all for the info.

Now I don't know this for a fact, but it's just my hunch based on what I currently see. I'm willing to wager that these will have automatic transmissions. I base that assumption on the fact that few, if any, driver's ed programs exist anymore that teach a new driver to operate a standard transmission. Those of us who do know either learned through the school of hard knocks (and jolts) or through a vocational program which required the drivist to learn a standard trans.

Archived