Staying overnight then catch ship in next port

stever

We did this last year on RCCL, stayed in Paris and rejoined the ship the next afternoon in Brugges. It worked great, but it was necessary to notify the cruise company in advance, and then again once you are on the ship. They put a notice in your onboard file, and it shows up when you leave and reboard the ship. They do an additional scan and make notes when you return. We also notifyed our cabin steward so that he didn't report us as "missing".

No, I didn't miss it.....The night before, just let the Guest Relations Department know what they have planned. I don't see any reason it would be a problem

Let me clear it up for you; if you simply inform the Guest Relations Department the night before you would not be permitted to leave the ship overnight as doing so would be ILLEGAL! It is not legal to remain in a foreign country once the cruise ship departs unless you have been cleared by local authorities. This requires advance notice.

What I dont understand is why people will pay for a say, 10 night cruise but then only stay on the ship for 7 of those nights? Why pay thousands of dollars for a ship cabin only to be paying for a land hotel as well? If you want to do land things, do a land tour before or after a cruise? The idea of going to rome/florence/naples while your ship sails without you just doesn't make sense to me. Why book a cruise if you want to stay on land??? Seems like an epic waste of money to me.

What I dont understand is why people will pay for a say, 10 night cruise but then only stay on the ship for 7 of those nights? Why pay thousands of dollars for a ship cabin only to be paying for a land hotel as well? If you want to do land things, do a land tour before or after a cruise? The idea of going to rome/florence/naples while your ship sails without you just doesn't make sense to me. Why book a cruise if you want to stay on land??? Seems like an epic waste of money to me.

Maybe look at it a different way.... 2nd to last day of the cruise the ship is in Le Havre.. if you want to do a post cruise stay in Paris, why would you stay on overnight and go to Southampton to only have to make you way back to Paris?

Civitavecchia is way out there and if your interest is spending some time on the Amalfi Coast, why have to make your way back down to Naples?, you're not missing much on last night of a cruise and it sure saves some travel time getting to where you want to go.

Let me clear it up for you; if you simply inform the Guest Relations Department the night before you would not be permitted to leave the ship overnight as doing so would be ILLEGAL! It is not legal to remain in a foreign country once the cruise ship departs unless you have been cleared by local authorities. This requires advance notice.

I didn't realize that regulation, and , if illegal he would be nuts to do it, and I think it affirms my initial reaction. I say, tell the cruise line what you want to do, and ask them how you can accomplish it. I'm a firm

believer that our society is losing sight of the value of honesty, and

everyone is always trying to "get over" on someone.

I would love to know your basis for saying that this would be ILLEGAL.

And you don't even mention any specific country by name.

Please point me to the facts/regulations for any specific country that would have a problem with this.

gary

Maybe look at it a different way.... 2nd to last day of the cruise the ship is in Le Havre.. if you want to do a post cruise stay in Paris, why would you stay on overnight and go to Southampton to only have to make you way back to Paris?

Civitavecchia is way out there and if your interest is spending some time on the Amalfi Coast, why have to make your way back down to Naples?, you're not missing much on last night of a cruise and it sure saves some travel time getting to where you want to go.

Cruise Junky -

If you were disembarking early, that would be one thing as yes, convenience, flights could be more economical, etc, but I just still dont get the hop on hop off nature of getting off and back on mid trip as was suggested in this thread.

I pay for the ship because I want to be on the ship and experience that as much as i want to experience the ports it's taking me to, but maybe that's just me. :-)

I would love to know your basis for saying that this would be ILLEGAL.

When visiting most counties by cruise ship an actual visa is not required as your legal residence while visiting is the ship, which is not a part of the country you are visiting. The cruise company provides a manifest to local immigration for the day visitors. The only exceptions are the counties that are even more stringent and require visas even for a day visit, such as the British Virgin Islands. There are no counties left in the world where a non resident can legally just wander about without notification to and authorization by local immigration of your actual itinerary. None.

When visiting and staying overnight in any country a visa is required. It is standard visa protocol in virtually every country to clearly and accurately state the date and manor you will be leaving the country. To wander off the ship and stay the night without the consent of local immigration is most certainly illegal. Probably not going to end up with 10 years in prison, but a small mishap of any kind could end up being a major headache.

But to answer your point, it is technically illegal anywhere in the world.

When visiting and staying overnight in any country a visa is required. It is standard visa protocol in virtually every country to clearly and accurately state the date and manor you will be leaving the country.

I'm not sure that I agree with your statement that a visa is required in any country. Having just gone to Europe in the fall, we did not need visa's for Germany, Austria, The Netherlands, or Switzerland. We were only asked how long we were planning to stay at the airport when we flew in.

My son, who did a round the world trip a few years ago, did not need a visa for all countries he visited wither.

Archived