geocaching at Ocean Princess transatlantic ports

xLibLabLady

My husband and I are thinking of taking the July 13 sailing from New York to Dover on the Ocean (Tahitian) Princess. We are cachers as well as cruisers. Does any one else ever get together to do geocaching?

We already know there are caches at many of the ports.:)

We also like to hike. Our thought is to take some shore excursions, and also to rent a car with like-minded cruisers.

Goecachers???? I even tried Dictionary.com

Geocaching is an outdoor activity in which the participants use a Global Positioning System (GPS) receiver or other navigational techniques to hide and seek containers (called "geocaches" or "caches") anywhere in the world. A typical cache is a small waterproof container (usually a tupperware or ammo box) containing a logbook. Larger containers can also contain items for trading, usually toys or trinkets of little value. Geocaching is most often described as a "game of high-tech hide and seek", sharing many aspects with orienteering, treasure-hunting, and waymarking.

Geocaches are currently placed in over 100 countries around the world and on all seven continents, including Antarctica.[1] As of January 3, 2010, there are over 950,000 active geocaches over the world.[2]

Never heard anyone mention or ask here about geocaching before. I suspect it would be good fun. I suggest that you go the the roll call for that cruise and see if anyone else is interested.

Yes, geocaching is a lot of fun. It can add another dimension to travel because often it shows you points of interest or beauty that you would not have found, or perhaps not noticed otherwise. Many times it has shown us place in our own neighborhood or area we did not know about. Often the cache containers are a tribute to creativity.

There is also a kind of caching called Earthcaches that are very educational.

Archived