newbie re: disembarkation/embarkation port timing

christiecruise

Hello,

I am planning a few private tours from Jade West. Med. ports. Our guide says pick up at 8 am, reurn at 5:30 pm. Our ship is scheduled to arrive at 8 am and depart at 7 pm, and after calling my NCL rep. today, she says plan to disembark 2 hours after arrival and embark 2 hours before departure from the ports. Do I need to change my private tour plans? Any info. from Jade travelers who have visited the Livorno, Civi., and Naples ports would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

Hello,

I am planning a few private tours from Jade West. Med. ports. Our guide says pick up at 8 am, reurn at 5:30 pm. Our ship is scheduled to arrive at 8 am and depart at 7 pm, and after calling my NCL rep. today, she says plan to disembark 2 hours after arrival and embark 2 hours before departure from the ports. Do I need to change my private tour plans? Any info. from Jade travelers who have visited the Livorno, Civi., and Naples ports would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

The two hour limit is for original embarcation and debarcation. NOT for ports, however if you arrive at 8 a.m. you won't be off for a bit. I would change your plans. I don't know if you need to tender at all, but if you do you need to add a lot of time for that, since ship sponsored excursions get priority tendering, other than that you would need to get down and get a low number to get off early. Even not tendering you have to wait for the ship to be cleared.

normally you should be able to get off about an hour after arrival at the latest, and you need to be back on board at least 30 min prior to sail a way.

Most reputable tour groups in any ports the ship stops at, know exactly what time the ship docks and passengers will getting off. If you sign up for a tour with them, let them know beforehand that you won't be disembarking until, say 9:00, and see what they say. They all know the ships times better than NCL probably does.

None of those ports are usually tender. I agree with the other that the tour guide should know the usual time people are off the ship after clearing. Hopefully, you found the guide here. The times you got from NCL seem overkill.

Slight adjustment possible. But as said, the locals know all about how this works.

As usual, the NCL reps give out bad information. As is reported here weekly, the two hr rule is for the FIRST day the ship leaves, usually in the U.S. At most ports you need to be on 30 minutes in advance, and people have been know to show up a few minutes before leaving.

You will get off around the announced arrival time. Variances are tied to local officials, weather, etc. But nowhere near the delays in U.S. ports.

Thank you all for your help. The guide service, I first found as a reply on this board. He also ranks near the top on tripadvisor and gets all 5 star reviews on independent websites. As you all said, I'm sure he will be aware of how the timing works.

I appreciate the info. about returning to the ship. We are planning 3 days on our own - and while I have no intention of cutting it too close - it would be a shame to return 2 hrs. in advance if not necessary.

Garycarla - so sorry to have asked a frequently answered question. I thought I'd spent hours searching the boards before asking :( At least I didn't ask if I could bring alcohol onboard! :D

Archived