Which itinerary?

nywritestuff

I just got back from a Caribbean cruise on the Connie. Let's just say it was so awesome that I already want to do another cruise next year. The problem is, I'm not sure which itinerary to choose. I have an 11-year-old boy, so the adult-only cruises are out.

I'm pondering cruises to Hawaii, the Mediterranean, the Baltics or Alaska (which my guys definitely want to do, although I'm not as anxious to go there).

Of course, I will be going on a Celebrity ship because everything is sooo outstanding!

So, I'm seeking advice from all of you expert cruisers.

What is your favorite itinerary and why?

Thanks in advance!

I have to second that.

I love Hawaii, the Med cruise was my favorite, but getting to Hawaii from NY is a nightmare and ditto Europe. Make the travel to the cruise as simple as possible and you will enjoy the whole experience more.

I'd recommend Alaska too. We have lived in the Northwest for more than a decade so before the cruising bug bit, I had no interest in seeing it, thinking "oh, it'll just be more of the same like home, maybe with a few chunks of ice." Then last year rolled around, we yearned for a summer cruise WITHOUT flying anywhere, we found ourselves on Infinity RT out of Vancouver -- and had an INCREDIBLE time. Every moment of the scenery, starting with the Inside Passage, is breathtaking, even to those of us somewhat jaded by mountains and forests and rivers. And even if you just do what we did -- rent a car in each port and pick some sights to see -- you'll have awesome experiences. Our son was 7 1/2 when we went last year. He and I loved it, my husband (who was skeptical of a non-tropical cruise) was TOTALLY bowled over. And if you haven't been to Vancouver, B.C., it's worth a day or two on each side of the cruise as well -- or you can fly here to Seattle and take Mercury icon_smile.gif we are looking forward to seeing "our" latest ship sail in each Friday during the heart of the summer.

Good luck in your decision! Oh, one more thought -- any chance you might consider a Panama Canal cruise? I went through the canal on a spectacular month-long cruise when I was just a bit younger than your son, and the memories linger even now.

trc

Millennium 12/12/04

Mercury 4/04, Infinity 8/03, Century 3/03 & 9/02

I guess I'm the dissenting vote here...

I don't choose my cruises based on keeping my kids happy...We've taken them on a number of cruises over the years--to the Caribbean, Mexico and Europe...and, somehow, they always manage to enjoy them...

So, all things being equal, no question my favorite cruise EVER is the one I took this past August: A 13 night Mediterranean on the Millenium:

Venice - Dubrovnik - Corfu - Santorini - Athens - Naples - Rome - Livorno - Villefranche - Barcelona...

All of the ports are absolutely spectacular...We spent an extra 2 nights in each of the begin/end cities...

Hawaii, frankly, is better done on an Air/Land trip...Fly to Maui, check into the Grand Wailea and relax...

The Baltics were great (we took the kids in 2001...but the crowd was considerably older with few kids whereas the Mediterranean had a number of kids)...and worth doing...it's just that the Mediterrannean has far more to offer all around, including more variety...

Again, all things being equal, it's the...

M E D I T E R R A N E A N...

Summit, July 3, 2004: Alaska: 13 night cruisetour

I agree with Steve, especially since we were on the exact same Mediterranean cruise last August. We took our son 13 and our friends took their son who was 11. They had a blast and it actually helped my son in Social Studies this year because they were studying Ancient Rome and Greece.

I'd give anything to be doing it again this summer but the Powerball and MegaMillions Gods have not shone done upon me yet.

Anne Maria

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;4;18;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

7 Night Eastern Carribean on Infinity

Big Red Boat II – New York to Canada/New England, August 2000

Regal Empress – New York to Canada/New England, August 2001

Millennium – 10 Night Southern Caribbean, August 2002

Millennium – 13 Night Mediterranean, August 2003

Infinity – Eastern Caribbean, April 2004

Hello!

I was on the Celebrity w/nywritestuff and too am ready to book another cruise! Wow, the one we just got back from was awesome!

Thanks for posting the question nywritestuff (and please email me at bellaeast@aol.com - sorry we didn't catch up w/you the last night).

And, thanks to all posting their comments - keep them coming! I think I'm leaning towards the Alaska itinerary in 2005; however my son (also 11) is already begging me to book the Baltic cruise next year (one of the crew/musicians was telling us about it)! He was as impressed as my hubby and I were!

Heather

Hey Bella!

I loved meeting your family. I will send you a note when things calm down at work. Things have been hectic this week since I got back to work. UGH.

It's too funny. My son wants to go on ANY cruise. He wouldn't mind if we did the Connie again, even the same tours that he's been talking about nonstop since we came home.

My husband loves the idea of Alaska but I'm a warm weather person myself and want to do the Mediterranean. We have a lot of time to decide, though.

icon_confused.gif

I agree that Alaska would make a good change of pace for your family cruise. Mom, I too had my doubts about the weather being from New England. It is hard to pack, but no worse than lets say a vacation in the mountains. We sailed Father's Day; brought a polartec lined Lands End short squall jacket, turtlenecks, sweatshirt, jeans, short sleeve jersey's and thick rubber soled shoes. We spend lots of money on ship tours: Helicopter landing on a glacier. Flight over Mendinhall glacier landing in Haines and then a rubber raft float down an Eagle preserve. We took the White Pass Railroad tour and went to Satchman's Indian village. In betwwen the tours, we walked throughout the towns and checked out the historic buildings, churches, Dolly's House, and witnessed the salmon swimming up stream. Ship life if great on sailing days and viewing a glacier while it is caving, is neat to experience.

Also, Vancouver is a very interesting capital city to explore pre-cruise.

European cruises are nice but very port intensive with little time to enjoy the ship's amenities. How much history and cathedrals, museums will your son tolerate? Good Luck.

Bon voyage

Celebrity Millennium 2/22/04

Carnival Conquest 10/26/2003

Carnival Legend 4/11/2003

Carnival Pride 2/23/2002

Celebrity Galaxy 11/2001

Grand Princess 3/2001

Celebrity Millennium 9/9/2000

Sea Princess 2/22/1999

Vison of the Seas 10/28/1998

Rhapsody of the Seas 3/1998

Celebrity Century 3/1997

Celebrity Zenith 11/1996

Legend of the Seas 6/1995

Celebrity Horizon 4/1994

I can't agree more with those talking about Alaska, we've done 4 Alaskan cruises in 4 years. It's spectacular! We've gone in late May, June, August, and mid-September. August was the warmest ... mid-sixties to low seventies, great hiking/walking weather. The sea life and animals are incredible. We're also done the float trip thorugh the eagle preserve out of Haines (also offered as a Skagway excursion). The White Horse railroad in Skagway is quite a trip and lesson in history. In Juneau, the Mendenhall glacier is good, plus right at the cruise ship dock is the tram up Mt Roberts which is really nice. The whole top of the mountain is owned by native americans, they have a nice visitors center, film, gift shop, plus you can take a nice hike around the top of the mountain (short -- maybe 1/2 mile, and easy). Do Alaska ... once you do, you'll go back! icon_biggrin.gif Plus crusing the Inside Passage is astoundingly beautiful!

High Seas Gal

Northern California

NCL Sky Jun. 2000 (ALASKA)

NCL Sky Aug. 2001 (ALASKA)

Princess Regal Princess Jul. 2002 (ALASKA)

NCL Sun Sep. 2003 (ALASKA)

Celebrity Mercury Oct. 2004 (Mexico)

All of your input is so great. It has really made me start thinking.

high seas gal, your excursions sound awesome. But 70s in August seems a bit too cool for me.

For all you experienced Alaskan fans: Can you actually swim in the ship's pool? I'm wondering whether the breezes would make it feel much cooler on board. Or is it too cold, especially in the late afternoon/early evening?

And keep your suggestions coming. I enjoy learning more about these itineraries. It's been invaluable.

Archived