Accessibility on Oasis

Peery5

We are planning our next cruise, possibly on the Oasis, for January, 2011. I am disabled with MD and use a scooter for mobility. I know that the ship, for the most part, is fairly easy to maneuver around using a scooter. My concerns are the ports of call, being Western Caribbean, i.e. Cozumel, Jamaica, etc.

For you Oasis veterans, can you tell me how steep the gangplanks were at the various ports when you were disembarking and would you think it would be safe taking a mobility scooter down them. I know that the RCCL staff will take them off and on for me if I ask but this is a safety concern on my part as I almost turned my over on our Alaskan cruise this past June.

I thought that I would post here before going to the Disabled board. Thanks for any answers.

The gangplanks do tend to be quite ramped, mainly due to the height of the access doors, and the ramps built up to them. However many guests with scooters have used these ramps, and there is always staff at hand to assist. It will be no more difficult than any other ship.

We are planning our next cruise, possibly on the Oasis, for January, 2011. I am disabled with MD and use a scooter for mobility. I know that the ship, for the most part, is fairly easy to maneuver around using a scooter. My concerns are the ports of call, being Western Caribbean, i.e. Cozumel, Jamaica, etc.

For you Oasis veterans, can you tell me how steep the gangplanks were at the various ports when you were disembarking and would you think it would be safe taking a mobility scooter down them. I know that the RCCL staff will take them off and on for me if I ask but this is a safety concern on my part as I almost turned my over on our Alaskan cruise this past June.

I thought that I would post here before going to the Disabled board. Thanks for any answers.

As for the ports, it depends on your interests. I am a T5 para and in Cozumel I have gone to Paradise Beach, let Tom know and he has lots of people to help you. His ramp is very steep but 4 men were waiting when I got out of the cab to help me. Also the large park in Cozumel where the dolphin swim is has beach wheelchairs you could use if you have someone to push them. In Jamaica there are lots of taxis with lifts. I even did a river tubing trip there.

• 2 months later...
Thanks for the replies. JSR be sure to post your review of the Oasis when you get back. We just booked her last night and can't wait unit Jan./2011

Peery 5- I am terrible about posting reviews. Please feel free to email me when I return and I can answer any questions. rtravel at aol dot com. Jean

The ramps on Oasis are better than on any other ship. I had to laugh at the other ships because they would have a steep skinny ramp from the ship to the pier. The Oasis cuts that in half by having that same length ramp only extend to a permanent platform at half the height with a permanent ramp then leading the rest of the way. It's one of those details I had never though about until seeing the drastic difference between the Oasis way and the usual way.

Peery5,

We are already booked for Jan 22, 2011. Please consider joining us, then you and DW can have scooter races down the halls knocking folks on their Keisters.

Although that seems funny I know you wouldnt do that, DW wouldn't either.

• 1 month later...

MedicKen:

We would love to go on the 22nd but we have a narrow window for cruising in January aboard any cruise line. And since we will be cruising with 4-6 more friends, we had to decide early so everyone could get the time away.

In addition, we just found out today that RCCL had changed it's Western Caribbean Itinerary due to the unrest in Jamaica which leave us with 2 stops in Mexico. :mad:We may change to Eastern Caribbean which sails on 01/09 [i think]. It goes to Nassau [which I love] and the Virgin Islands.

Although I must use my scooter for cruises, I wish I did not have to. Some fellow cruisers are very understanding but others aren't.:confused: I waited an hour to get an elevator on our last cruise when I made the mistake of going out of the cabin by myself. Seems as though no one would hold an elevator for me. But that's OK because I always hold them for other people. I did learn a valuable lesson, don't leave the cabin without someone going with you. Good Luck on your cruise.

Tom

PS By your screen name you must be a paramedic. I was also in the 80's before I became a nurse. Now I am disabled.

Archived