Barbados cruise--excursion advice needed!

Kayceeoh

My husband & I are going on the Feb 14th sailing of Windsurf from Barbados, ports of call are: Bequia, Grenadines; Roseau, Dominica; St. Lucia; Mayreau, Grenadines; Grenada; Tobago; and back to Barbados.

We are cruise newbies, ages 49/50, more and less physically fit (I'm more into fitness than he is at the moment), not scuba divers, into walking, snorkeling, food, some shopping but not to any extreme, and just looking for a stressfree, relaxing cruise. :cool:

We're thinking of booking 3 or 4 excursions during the 7 day cruise, and would like to know which ones we should not miss, and which ports of call are nice just to stroll around in, or walk to a nice beach and loll on the sand, with a pleasant eatery nearby.

To add to the brief, we know nothing about the Caribbean either, having spent most of our travel time in Europe. So not only cruise newbies, but Caribbean newbies as well! :confused:

I would appreciate any feedback, suggestions, hints and reviews of the excursions you may have been on.

Thank you!

Karen

• 3 weeks later...

I think it is worthwhile doing the Rain Forest & Argyll Falls nature walk in Tobago. Don't bother with the glass bottom boat ride to Goat Island because there's a good chance it will be cancelled due to choppy waters.

Definitely book the sail to the Tobago cays when you are in Mayreau. You will have enough time for the beach bbq but the Tobago Cays were the highlight of my trip.

Don't bother with an excursion for Bequia. You can walk to nice beaches from the main village.

You definitely should do a hike in Dominica -- it is spectacular.

Grenada: You don't have to do an planned excursion. St. George is a nice port town. You can take a taxi to the beach.

Have fun. I loved my cruise.

My husband & I are going on the Feb 14th sailing of Windsurf from Barbados, ports of call are: Bequia, Grenadines; Roseau, Dominica; St. Lucia; Mayreau, Grenadines; Grenada; Tobago; and back to Barbados.

We are cruise newbies, ages 49/50, more and less physically fit (I'm more into fitness than he is at the moment), not scuba divers, into walking, snorkeling, food, some shopping but not to any extreme, and just looking for a stressfree, relaxing cruise. :cool:

We're thinking of booking 3 or 4 excursions during the 7 day cruise, and would like to know which ones we should not miss, and which ports of call are nice just to stroll around in, or walk to a nice beach and loll on the sand, with a pleasant eatery nearby.

To add to the brief, we know nothing about the Caribbean either, having spent most of our travel time in Europe. So not only cruise newbies, but Caribbean newbies as well! :confused:

I would appreciate any feedback, suggestions, hints and reviews of the excursions you may have been on.

Thank you!

Karen

Don't know where you live, but LUCKY YOU getting away to somewhere warm next week-end!

We have done your cruise. There is a great hike on Dominica to a waterfall area. Bequia is one of our favorites. The locals are very friendly there. I would just walk along the harbor and have lunch at one of the places you pass. Grenada is called the "Spice Island" and is really beautiful. There are many lakes and parks you can go to there. We also had a beach barbeque at St Lucia (Pigeon Island) That was fun, too. I don't remember much being in Roseau. From Tortola we took a local boat over to Peter Island for lunch which we all really enjoyed. I think we also had a beach barbeque on Mayreau on a different trip. (We have done the Caribbean on Windsurf 4 times.) You will have a blast! I am jealous living here in snowy Chicago!

Have a great trip!

Just came off this itinerary. Did a cooking demonstration in Dominica. That was fun. In Grenada, got off the ship and dealt with the local taxi people. Got a two hour trip (the falls, the rain forest, and a spice shop) for $25 p/p (just the 2 of us), that was worth it. Did 2 hour snorkeling in Tobago (ship excur), they take you to the Atlantic side, very strong currents and not alot of fish. In Mayreau, go to Salt Whistle Bay, neat bar set-up and a beautiful beach. In St. Lucia, we took a cab from Pigeon Island to Rodney Bay ($15) and walked around there and the Marina. Had a drink at a happening bar called Spinnakers. Just walked around the harbour in Bequia, not much happening here. All in all, this is a fairly laid back itineary, beachy and not alot of shopping.

Tim

Thank you for your input; we are soooooo looking forward to getting away from the snow in eastern PA, oh yes we are! We have booked the tubing one and the hike; can't wait to chill out in a GOOD way.:cool:

Thanks again.:)

When we were in Dominica a few years ago, on a different cruise line, we did a private tour with Levi of Bumpiing Tours. Highly recommend him as he is a great guide. You must book in advance as he stays booked up.

MexicoBob

Archived