Smuggling Booze No More?

sailor44

Because apparently there is a new policy stating that checked bags must be unlocked. I think the reason for that would be for security purposes and not specifically checking for booze.

i've never locked mine anyways, and have always stuck a bottle or two in there.

Security sweeps??? sounds like prison. The first time they do anything like this, I will no longer cruise.

I will take my two smuggled bottles of liquor, as well as my $1000 S&S bill for just me, and I'll take another type of vacation.

By the way, would you like the cabin number, sail date, color, size of luggage so you can report me to Carnival???

G'Ma is on every smuggling discussion on CC I've read, making these outlandish remarks. Everyone just ignores.

I'm just not thinking they will have the time, personnel, or inclination to open and search thousands of checked bags. It's enough that they scan the carry-on.

At this point I'll wait and see. Besides "Rum Runners" don't show up on x-ray.[/quot

On my last cruise Glory 04/2009 We were on the ship still at the port. I happened to look down and was watching how they x-ray the luggage. There was a small building (like a garage with 2 open ends) The fork lifts with the crates of luggage would drive into the building and back out to go to the ship.I knew it was where they x-ray because of the huge radiation symbol on theside. It was a very,very fast process .I was hoping my luggage was at the bottom ..because there was no way that they would see what was in it:p I don't know how they could look at all that luggage more closely and still get us out of the port on time. It seems like "new" rules sound alot like the old ones. just my 2 cents:)

Looks like Carnival may be cracking down on smuggling - changes to their liquor policy.

From Carnival's FAQ website:

Can I bring liquor on board?

A liquor and beverage consumption policy was created in order for Carnival to be able to control the liquor consumption of minors and the quantities consumed that lead to the disruptive behavior of others on board.

Liquor and Beverage Policy

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages onboard. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring on board one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, only in their carry-on luggage. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the main dining room; $14 corkage fee per bottle in the steakhouse. Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages. All prohibited alcohol, excessive quantities of wine/champagne or non-alcoholic beverages will be removed and stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained item(s) will be delivered to your stateroom on the last night of the cruise. Unsealed containers with prohibited liquids will be discarded, as well as any unclaimed items left after the voyage, and no compensation will be given in either case.

Isn't this what their policy has always been? I'm not seeing what is new here?

Nice idea! We take vodka and I buy a 6 pack of water in shrink wrap. Same method; wiggle the bottles out, empty and refill with vodka and wiggle them back in. No problem. Since this trip my sisters are coming along and like rum coke, your idea is perfect!

LOL.....

BIG crackdowns now......I wonder why? :p *shakes head*

Everyone insists on bragging about their ingenious ideas knowing that CCL reads these boards.....enough posts like yours and I imagine that water and soda will also be prohibited before long.

How would they know the difference between what you ordered from the Bon Voyage dept. vs. contraband?

Well, one clue would be: the order from Bon Voyage is a matter of record.

Another might be the brand of booze.

Another might be that Bon Voyage rarely includes several bottles of alcohol and enough beer to float the Titanic.,

If they are' date=' indeed, about to tighten down on smuggling, those days might be coming to and end, huh?:D[/quote']

I just have to laugh ..this is a moment, like when my kids get frustrated with their grandmother ...they just say '" oh grandma !!! :rolleyes: with that look on their face hehe:p

I don't think many stewards are college graduates and am not sure they can read and write English. Of course, I'm not sure many college graduates can, either.

In any event, the stewards know who butters their bread. Their tips are far greater than the insult of a salary that Carnival pays.

Packing booze is not a crime and not even in the same league as wearing jeans on formal nights. :D

G'Ma is on every smuggling discussion on CC I've read, making these outlandish remarks. Everyone just ignores.

Honestly, some folks are really naive about this.

Do you really think that your cabin has never been looked at?

For years I was a Tour Manager/Cruise Host. I spent about 200 days a year either going somewhere, on something, floating somewhere. 2 companies I worked for did large cruise groups and I spent many spring and summers doing back-to-back for months...from foreign ports and domestic.

The Tour Managers were always notified when a sweep was going to be done. At the end of that, if any of the people in my group had items confiscated, I was given the list of names and cabin numbers...and it was up to me to notify these folks. Happened EVERY cruise....

Folks, don't think for a minute you are pulling the wool over anyones eyes on a ship. They look for destruction or damage to their private property (namely THEIR cabin), signs of drugs and drug paraphenalia, prohibited items like knives and/or weapons of any kind, missing items like lamps, balcony chairs, stored linens. They check for candles and other items that might present a fire danger.

They have that right....and they do it. It's their ship and it's up to security to make sure everything is OK.

If it makes you feel better to think otherwise, well, go ahead.

Don't ever pay attention to any "voice of experience" on CC, no matter what.

Oh, and, totally ignore this clause found in the passenger ticket contract altogether:

All Guests agree Carnival has, at all times with or without notice, the right to search Guest’s baggage and/or personal effects for any of the prohibited items, at any location, to ensure compliance with these restrictions. Any Guest who refuses any such search or screening, or any Guest traveling with such items, may be denied boarding or disembarked and no refund of the cruise fare will be issued. The Guest will be solely responsible for any and all damage and/or loss caused by his violation of this policy.

Interestingly, G'ma is on a lot of threads, smuggling is one of them....as are many others.....

Security sweeps??? sounds like prison. The first time they do anything like this, I will no longer cruise.

I will take my two smuggled bottles of liquor, as well as my $1000 S&S bill for just me, and I'll take another type of vacation.

By the way, would you like the cabin number, sail date, color, size of luggage so you can report me to Carnival???

I'm with you I've been on 40 cruises and have NEVER heard of security sweeps like G'ma said....Dennis

Well' date=' one clue would be: the order from Bon Voyage is a matter of record.

Another might be the brand of booze.

Another might be that Bon Voyage rarely includes several bottles of alcohol and enough beer to float the Titanic.,[/quote']

G'ma, G'ma, G'ma....

[quote name='halos']LOL.....

BIG crackdowns now......I wonder why? :p [B]*shakes head*[/B]
Everyone insists on bragging about their ingenious ideas knowing that CCL reads these boards.....enough posts like yours and I imagine that water and soda will also be prohibited before long.[/quote]

Has anyone ever filled a bottle of B12 -the type that has the 1 oz measure and is called 1st step cherry charge- with Scotch and putting a little red food coloring to make it look like the real thing?
Imagine DH's surprise when I gave him his nice red Johnnie Walker RED! Too funny but it worked.

[quote=G'ma;22816718]
Folks, don't think for a minute you are pulling the wool over anyones eyes on a ship. They look for destruction or damage to their private property (namely THEIR cabin), signs of drugs and drug paraphenalia, prohibited items like knives and/or weapons of any kind, missing items like lamps, balcony chairs, stored linens. They check for candles and other items that might present a fire danger.
[/quote]

Maybe in the good old days.

With today's cutbacks in staff levels, there is no time or personnel for this kind of nonsense.

[quote name='qaturah']What exactly is classified as '[B]contraband[/B]'?

We are just wondering if you can actually buy a whole bottle of alcohol, like vodka, or liqueur like Bailey's or whatever, on the ship for consumption in your cabin or if they make you only buy the drinks by the glass.

Also wondering what the cost of a such a bottle of booze would be? Has anyone ever bought a whole bottle of booze on Carnival and how much was it compared to getting in a liquor store?

[/quote]

You can buy bottles of liquor ahead of time only through the Bon Voyage department.

Less expensive spirits are about $40 for a liter and things like Jack Daniels are $55, Stoli, $60...

On the ship you can not buy any bottles of liquor for consumption on the ship.

[quote name='beckymomof2']Isn't this what their policy has always been? I'm not seeing what is new here?[/quote]

The parts that are different are the parts in red. The policy never used to specify that your allowed bottle had to be brought on in the carry on luggage only.

We always packed 2 bottles of wine in each checked bag and then also carried 2 on giving us 6 bottles for the week. Under the old policy they would have no way of knowing that the 2 bottles in the checked luggage were not the allowed wine (1 per passenger).

Prior to this change any alcohol found in excess would be confiscated and discarded. Now it will be removed and returned.

Why would they make changes if they weren't planning on checking the checked luggage more than they do. Maybe they got a new scanner for Christmas :rolleyes:.

Does this mean that they will change their practice? Who knows?

[B]Liquor and Beverage Policy[/B]

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages onboard. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring on board one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, [B][COLOR=red]only in their carry-on luggage[/COLOR]. [/B]A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the main dining room; $14 corkage fee per bottle in the steakhouse. Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages. [B]All prohibited alcohol, excessive quantities of wine/champagne or non-alcoholic beverages [COLOR=red]will be removed and stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained item(s) will be delivered to your stateroom on the last night of the cruise. Unsealed containers with prohibited liquids will be discarded, as well as any unclaimed items left after the voyage, and no compensation will be given in either case. [/COLOR][/B]

Archived