Ochos Rios with kids? Anything besides the falls?

DaniellefromOttawa

Hi!

I've search high and low on the Jamaica port board, but can't find anything to do in Jamaica besides Dunn's fall's that is suitable for kids (Ages 9 and 11) Any suggestions???

Thanks

Danielle

There is nothing safe to do there with kids unless you can find a protected resort to do a day trip at.

Personally I would stay on the ship.

We were there last March with our kids (4 and 8 at the time). My daughter was too young for the excursions so we did a little shopping at a nearby shopping complex, went swimming at a small beach there (it's small and there is a fee, but hardly anyone was there), and went to Margaritaville for lunch. My 8 year old enjoyed the pool at Margaritaville and they had a slide. It was a most relaxing day because we weren't rushing off for a timed excursion.

This was all within walking distance of the port and we could see our ship from where we were. When we ever go back to Jamaica, I would like to do an excursion because it definitely is not the place to venture out too far on your own.

We also went to the little gated shopping area. The beach there is small and I think there were a few water toys (this was two years ago and my children were 4 & 6, so we did not use them). It was pretty relaxing because it was easy to watch them there. We then went back to the ship for a later lunch and my oldest had a lot of fun taking advantage of the rock wall and trampoline on board with no lines. It worked out well a little cheap beach time and a ship that was quiet!

About five years ago we walked to a hotel near the port (past the straw market) and paid the beach fee for the day. There is a tiny beach near where the ship docks but I'm willing to bet that when you see the discharge from several island canals that end at that beach you will not be interested in letting your kids play on the sand or in the water.

• 4 months later...

I came across this thread and was curious what you may have done while in Jamaica with your family.

Has anyone recently been to the Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort in Ocho Rios with kids? Seems like the daypass with kids there may be a fun way to spend the day off the ship while in Jamaica?

Any Thoughts, opinions?

Thanks-:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

OK, a little belated, but we ended up doing exactly what Teresa recommended. After all of these posts we had decided to stay on the ship, but once we docked and the kids could see the beautiful (smallish) beach and water trampoline there was no way they wanted to to stay onboard.

So we got off the ship, walked about a block through the shopping area and went to the beach, I think it cost us about $20 for all four of us, with chairs and umbrellas. We played on the beach, jumped on the trampoline, and met other cruise people to talk to.

The water was clear and clean as was the beach. It felt very safe, other than the people working there, we saw only one other person that appeared to not be a tourist, he was a boy that spent the day entertaining the playing with the kids on the trampoline, with a great big smile and sense of humor.

After we were all tired out we went to Margaritaville (on the same beach) for some Nachos and Margarita's (no alchohol for the kids of course). The kids loved the waterslide and hot tub, we had to drag them out of there to get back to the ship in time! We did sit upstairs, as the party going on downstairs was a little too risque for kids eyes.

Although this is not a port I would go out of my way to choose, I am certainly not against returning there again.

We did not have any trouble with security getting back on the ship or see anybody that did.

Thanks!

Danielle

I came across this thread and was curious what you may have done while in Jamaica with your family.

Has anyone recently been to the Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort in Ocho Rios with kids? Seems like the daypass with kids there may be a fun way to spend the day off the ship while in Jamaica?

Any Thoughts, opinions?

Thanks-:)

This does sound like a good time and something to do with kids who are not interested in the sights of Jamaica. Anyone taken kids here recently? Any experiences to talk about?

Hi!

OK, a little belated, but we ended up doing exactly what Teresa recommended. After all of these posts we had decided to stay on the ship, but once we docked and the kids could see the beautiful (smallish) beach and water trampoline there was no way they wanted to to stay onboard.

So we got off the ship, walked about a block through the shopping area and went to the beach, I think it cost us about $20 for all four of us, with chairs and umbrellas. We played on the beach, jumped on the trampoline, and met other cruise people to talk to.

The water was clear and clean as was the beach. It felt very safe, other than the people working there, we saw only one other person that appeared to not be a tourist, he was a boy that spent the day entertaining the playing with the kids on the trampoline, with a great big smile and sense of humor.

After we were all tired out we went to Margaritaville (on the same beach) for some Nachos and Margarita's (no alchohol for the kids of course). The kids loved the waterslide and hot tub, we had to drag them out of there to get back to the ship in time! We did sit upstairs, as the party going on downstairs was a little too risque for kids eyes.

Although this is not a port I would go out of my way to choose, I am certainly not against returning there again.

We did not have any trouble with security getting back on the ship or see anybody that did.

Thanks!

Danielle

Are there public facilities at this beach? How deep is the water around the trampoline?

Hi!

Yes, the Market area had bathroom facilities, my spouse used them and said they were fine.

When I went out to the trampoline, I walked all but about the last 15 feet or so, the water under the trampoline was between 10-15 feet deep when we were there but I'm sure it changes with tides and such.

You would not need to be a strong swimmer to get there, I saw a mom with a little guy about 5 or so in a lifejacket paddle out for a jump.

Danielle

We went to Margaritaville last year, though without kids, and their tiny beach and the adjacent beach were fine. Kids would enjoy the pool too.

We did do the river tubing with 5 grandkids ages 3, 4, 5, 5 & 13. Everyone of them liked it and wanted to do it again. It is a little tame--it's not white water rafting after all-- but it was a lot of fun. We felt safe because we were with a reputable guide. We also did Dunn's falls on that trip, but the four little ones played on the beach with us rather than climbing the falls.

This does sound like a good time and something to do with kids who are not interested in the sights of Jamaica. Anyone taken kids here recently? Any experiences to talk about?

We did the Sunset resort last summer. It was nice. Good pool Lighthouse waterslide was great for my 8 year old. The drinks and food were included and we had breakfast and lunch there. We felt we got our moneys worth. Our teenagers went on the waverunners and they were the cheapest we found the whole cruse.

Archived