Conche shells don't waste your £ or $

britsbest

I doubt that the customs people will know the difference between a Queen conch shell and anothervariety.

I have three gigantic (I don't know if they are Queen variety or not) that I got when on a diving trip with a local friend in Jamaica. I carried them on the plane in visible site through customs, security, etc.and they weren't confiscated.

People have been screaming about the worldwide fish shortage for years. This is a part of it, IMO.

Please take the time to read the initial post.

The conche available in the Caribbean are not farmed.

The point of the thread was to save cruisers from wasting there hard earned £ on items that are liable to be taken off them when they return home.

Of course some if not most will avoid detection by the authorities, but the fact remains that the export and import of the Queen Conche is prohibbited with out the required permits.

Naturally you may eat conche meat but that has nothing to do with the matter.

They may not be looking for this in the US but here in Europe they take this sort of thing very seriously. The ladies and gentleman in the front line may not be able to ID it but the first thing they will do is confiscate it and make you pay a fine for not declaring it and then it will be forwarded to the apropriate depart. for correct ID and then heaven help you it is a spiesies on the red list because the the fine can and ist HUGE!!

I think that perhaps in other countries the customs agents are looking for the shells. But being from the US, I have 3 pieces of art and jewelry that are made from conch shells, purchased in Providenciales in the T&C islands. We have stayed there three times in the last year and a half and always bring something home when I find what I like. Never have been asked to do paper work or been held up. I list it on my customs forms too.

So... guess it is up to the individual countries and their handling at customs points. It obviously isn't the same everywhere.

This OP created a stir over on the Princess board re this same topic.

The OP is from the UK and doesn't believe those of us that actually live in FL and travel the Caribbean islands on a regular basis.

The moderators on the Princess board removed her last few posts.

This IS the current LEGAL situation. I am a retired wild life protection/border agent (they called us Customs Officers).

So if you see a tiger skin coat for sale in say India would you have the same opinion?? or an Ivory Tusk or need I go on??:confused:

Law is the law whether or not you agree with it!:eek:

This is the last thing I'm going to say on this topic. The OP is NOT correct in asserting that it's illegal across the board to export or import queen conch shells. Some Caribbean countries have banned their export and some countries have banned their import....some but not all. Several countries engage in Queen Conch mariculture with the express purpose of exporting the meat as well as the shells. That is an undisputable fact.

I can appreciate the OP's passion for this topic, but to continue to insist that they are correct AND to imply that those who disagree are not only wrong, but support illegal poaching of endangered species such as tigers or elephants, is preposterous.

We buy conch meat at the fish market here all the time to make conch fritters..so does this mean I am buying illegal conch?? It's from a caribbean market, too and I think this particular batch at the market comes from the Bahamas.

People need to find some bigger fish to fry besides debate about conch meat..(no pun intended!) LOL

Archived