Saffron & Cinnamon & Vanilla

gehrandt

If I recall correctly someone suggested bringing back saffron, cinnamon, and vanilla as they are considerable less expensive in Mexico then in the US. My question is, do you have to declare them to get through customs - would they go through the agricultural inspection upon arriving back in California? Since they are in bottles I would guess not but would hate to buy some and then encounter a major problem/delay getting through customs. Tks.

If I recall correctly someone suggested bringing back saffron, cinnamon, and vanilla as they are considerable less expensive in Mexico then in the US. My question is, do you have to declare them to get through customs - would they go through the agricultural inspection upon arriving back in California? Since they are in bottles I would guess not but would hate to buy some and then encounter a major problem/delay getting through customs. Tks.

Yes, you would declare your purchase on the appropriate form when coming back into the country. We typically list it as "spices" and leave it at that.

AG doesn't get involved with any processed, packaged goods. We routinely bring back vanilla and cinnamon (along with a wide variety of cooking spices) in their factory packaging. Haven't done saffron.

Vanilla is a topic of discussion on this board as some product can be found that isn't the best quality. Know what you are getting. We often buy our in one of the local grocery stores vs. the tourist gift shops or the flea markets one finds right at the port.

Enjoy!

The price of Mexican saffron is cheaper because it is not true saffron such as you would get from Spain where it is picked from crocus flowers; Mexican Saffron is made from orange marigolds and has none of the pungent taste of the real mccoy. Similarly, Mexican vanilla is not nearly as good as the best which is made from Bourbon vanilla orchids native to Madagascar and Fr Polynesia. You get what you pay for and some cooks are satisfied with less than the best:)

Thank you - think someone mentioned buying it at Walmart right near the ship.

We have neighbors who are going to take care of our cat, George, and was trying to think of some good ideas of things to bring back to them - both love to cook and don't need knick knacks, jewery, etc.

just make sure that the label on the vanilla says 'no coumarin".

There are 3 main versions of vanilla. Madagascar, Indonesia and Mexico. Mexican is more bitter than the other 2. Unless you are a vanilla snob, you can't taste a difference in the baking.

From what I have read, the Walmart has moved. We got most of our P.V. souvenirs here. Also picked up some water and pastries.

The price of Mexican saffron is cheaper because it is not true saffron such as you would get from Spain where it is picked from crocus flowers; Mexican Saffron is made from orange marigolds and has none of the pungent taste of the real mccoy. Similarly, Mexican vanilla is not nearly as good as the best which is made from Bourbon vanilla orchids native to Madagascar and Fr Polynesia. You get what you pay for and some cooks are satisfied with less than the best:)

I'm not even sure what this post means? Real vanilla is make from the vanilla bean and you can get very good quality vanilla in Mexico. Most of the US vanilla is vanilla extract not 100% vanilla. Make sure to read the label to make sure you are only getting 100% vanilla.

Bourbon vanilla orchids?

Can you get vanilla beans at any of the Mexican Riviera ports? They are $2/bean where I live and I would like to find a less expensive source.

Good questions. We shop in the local grocery stores in Cabo since we stay for 2 weeks at a time but I have never looked for vanilla beans.

There are 3 main versions of vanilla. Madagascar, Indonesia and Mexico. Mexican is more bitter than the other 2. Unless you are a vanilla snob, you can't taste a difference in the baking.

From what I have read, the Walmart has moved. We got most of our P.V. souvenirs here. Also picked up some water and pastries.

Really, the Walmart in PV moved?

Mexican vanilla is not nearly as good as the best which is made from Bourbon vanilla orchids native to Madagascar and Fr Polynesia. You get what you pay for and some cooks are satisfied with less than the best:)

I'm not even sure what this post means? Real vanilla is make from the vanilla bean and you can get very good quality vanilla in Mexico. Most of the US vanilla is vanilla extract not 100% vanilla. Make sure to read the label to make sure you are only getting 100% vanilla.

Bourbon vanilla orchids?

Might be referring to wikipedia for vanilla:

* Bourbon vanilla or Bourbon-Madagascar vanilla, produced from V. planifolia plants introduced from the Americas, is the term used for vanilla from Indian Ocean islands such as Madagascar, the Comoros, and Réunion, formerly the Île Bourbon.

* Mexican vanilla, made from the native V. planifolia, is produced in much less quantity and marketed as the vanilla from the land of its origin. Vanilla sold in tourist markets around Mexico is sometimes not actual vanilla extract, but is mixed with an extract of the tonka bean, which contains coumarin. Tonka bean extract smells and tastes like vanilla

Let quality be your goal and guide, not low prices. My experience has been, over many years, that items such as you ask are better bought at home - not in Mexico. I find higher quality spices, etc. at home in Chicago than I do in most of Mexico where I travel.

Where have you read that Wal Mart has moved? I was just in P.V. in October and it was still there.........:confused: I am going again next Sunday.......so I need to know.......

Can you get vanilla beans at any of the Mexican Riviera ports? They are $2/bean where I live and I would like to find a less expensive source.

Last time I was there, (October) I believe I paid $3 for a glass tube filled with 3 bean pods. I think I bought it in PV at a Mall=huge street facing building with what seemed like 1,000's of vendors of everything. I also bought the bottled vanilla. I found it for less (more than half) at Stater Bros-same brand, when I returned to the states. Such is the import export business!

debbi

WalMart has NOT moved but there are two others now open.

We do have Safron here, imported from Spain, that is real saffron. Sold in little tiny jars.

My favorite vanilla is from Madagascar and I buy it at Costco.

We like vanilla alot at our house, we do not just bake with it, but put it in our tea and in milk( with a teaspoon of sugar,, yum).

My SIL brought us back a big bottle from Mexico a few years ago. We didn't like the taste,, it was not the same. My MIL gave us her bottle as she didn't like it either,, we ended up just using it for baking.

I do think quality counts.

That said,, a real vanilla bean,, even if not from Madagascar , is still going to give a better taste then cheap vanilla,, so I would think buying a few beans wouldn't be a bad idea.

WalMart has NOT moved but there are two others now open.

Thank you. I saw a thread on CC somewhere that it had moved. I'm glad to know that it is still there next to Sam's Club and the Mall. I wasn't looking forward to taking a taxi there.

I'll let everyone know when if WalMart across from the cruise ship dock (Maritime Terminal) closes but so far, it is open and busy :)

Vanilla beans are hard to find but they are worth looking for but not really any less expensive here than in many places NOTB (North of the border)

If you are going from downtown to the southside, right before you go over the bridge on the Rio Cuale is the new parking garage (Benito Juarez) and there is a vanilla shop on the outside in a little tiny store. Not sure the name but they have nice vanilla beans for about $1.20 US- also try Rizo's grocery at the front desk. Usually 16 Pesos each.

I like to take one, slit it lengthwise, open it and keep in it a large sealed container with about a kilo of sugar- makes an awesome infused vanilla sugar for baking, to using in coffee and tea.

Archived