Is the Volcano worth seeing?

ColleenThomas

I would appreciate some input on our day in St.Lucia.

We have already booked Frank to take us to Jalousie Beach, which is our primary destination, but asked to also visit the volcano. Is the volcano worth seeing? Or is it just kinda stinky? I am not that impressed by the pictures of it, but maybe it really is neat to see???

We have kids with us, so we thought they might enjoy seeing this. What are some experiences with this place, and how long would we be there? I am just worried about taking time away from Jalousie, which is where we really want to go.

Thanks!!

I recently went to the Volcano sight with Spencer Ambrose Tours and thought it was worth seeing once . It did however take at least a half hour of our Jalousie beach time . I didn't hate it ,as this was our second visit with a third coming . I won't do it again because all it is is a brief but interesting history lesson and some bubbling sulphur stinky lava . I am the type that want to see

everything but my wife and father in law stayed up at the road and I really couldn't tell them they missed anything too special . More I think about it save it for another time if you can if the beach is your end game . Jalousie beach is AMAZING !! Take your mask and snorkel and a box of cheerios from the breakfast . The fish love cheerios and come right up in your face to eat them .

great snorkeling in standing depth water , sureal ! Enjoy !!! Just my opinion !!

Ted

I would appreciate some input on our day in St.Lucia.

We have already booked Frank to take us to Jalousie Beach, which is our primary destination, but asked to also visit the volcano. Is the volcano worth seeing? Or is it just kinda stinky? I am not that impressed by the pictures of it, but maybe it really is neat to see???

We have kids with us, so we thought they might enjoy seeing this. What are some experiences with this place, and how long would we be there? I am just worried about taking time away from Jalousie, which is where we really want to go.

Thanks!!

I think you have it right. It's okay but its a big stinky hole. If you think of Kileaua when you think volcano, this is nothing like Kileaua. Its more stinky than any interpretation of impressive.

I think you have it right. It's okay but its a big stinky hole. If you think of Kileaua when you think volcano, this is nothing like Kileaua. Its more stinky than any interpretation of impressive.

But, But, But... Its the world's ONLY drive in Volcano!!! :D

Seriously, if I was at a beach that I loved and had to go to this again I'd be upset. Stinky and hot a good combo? You can decide after going your first time. Some bubbling black goo with noxious fumes. Been there done that-Did NOT get the Tee-shirt. Won't do it again.

We've booked with Spencer for March 4th and decided to skip the "stinky" volcano in order to spend more time at the beach. Sounds like a good call after reading this thread! If others want to join us, we have 4 in our tour. We are also taking the water taxi back instead of driving.

We've booked with Spencer for March 4th and decided to skip the "stinky" volcano in order to spend more time at the beach. Sounds like a good call after reading this thread! If others want to join us, we have 4 in our tour. We are also taking the water taxi back instead of driving.

What is the tour that you have booked with spencer?, we are two + 1-4 year old chatterbox, we may be interested in joining you

Hello,

I just would like to know, how Spencer meets different interests within the party of guests: What if some people like to go to the vulcano and others only to the beach and some other want to do ALL the sights at soufriere?

Do people split up and meet at a certain place at a certain time?

Frank

Berlin / Germany

Please DO NOT take a box of cheerios to Jalousie beach. The fish come right up to you without them. Feeding the fish food not in their natural diet will lead to more aggressive species coming. Its much like feeding bears in Yellowstone National Park. It use to be legal, now the bears have grown accustom to the food source. Go and enjoy Jalousie beach, and the wonderful snorkeling it has, but please leave the human food on the beach!

Thanks for asking this great question. It's an opportunity to discuss an issue that so far isn't a huge issue on Bonaire. As Bonaire becomes more populated and attracts more marine tourism, I'm hopeful that we can develop a no-feeding norm to avoid the problems that developed in places like Hawaii and the southeastern U.S.

"Five Good Reasons Why We Shouldn’t Feed Marine Wildlife:

Feeding removes one of the greatest pleasures of venturing into the wild – observing natural behavior. Marine animals that are fed behave very differently from those that forage and hunt on their own.

Marine animals in the wild have very particular diets. Eating other foods can weaken and sicken wildlife.

Feeding causes marine animals to lose their natural fear of humans. These animals become easy targets for people who do not respect wildlife and would hurt them intentionally. Also, people who become fearful may injure an animal in an attempt to defend themselves against a mistaken “attack.”

You always risk injury when you do not keep a respectful distance from marine animals who may misinterpret your actions. Marine animals defend themselves with teeth, spines, venom, and toxins to name a few adaptations. There is no guarantee that a marine animal knows where the food stops and your fingers begin. Sadly, it is usually the animal which loses when the person feeding complains of being “attacked.”

Feeding causes injuries and harmful interactions between marine animals by forcing competition and confrontation among individuals and species which otherwise would not interact." http://www.bonairetalk.com/newsgroup/messages/22932/396725.html?1244138379

http://www.coral.org/fishfriendly

"Do not touch the animals. Even a gentle caress can disturb the mucous coating that helps protects fish from disease. Do not feed the fish. If fed by humans, after a while they become dependent on handouts and lose the ability to forage. Also, they lose their natural wariness, which makes them easy prey for poachers. Even though harvesting fish for tropical collectors is illegal in the national parks, it still goes on."

http://www.npca.org/marine_and_coastal/coral_reefs/snorkeling.html

Archived