Tips & kids..

Johnthed0g

I don't want an in depth argument on tips but on Celebrity they charge full fare for children AND it turns out you are expected to pay full tips too. Now on P&O none of the tips kick in until a certain age (12, I think), I was horrified by this, what do Brit cruisers think of having to pay $12 a day for a 12 month old baby?

John, this seems like a classic example of the need to read the small print before you actually book anything! At the end of the day, the cost of your cruise is the total outlay, no matter how this amount is broken down or arrived at.

Carol x

John, this seems like a classic example of the need to read the small print before you actually book anything! At the end of the day, the cost of your cruise is the total outlay, no matter how this amount is broken down or arrived at.

Carol x

Eh? I haven't got kids, nothing to do with personal details, just interested in what people think. If I may say, a classic example of not reading the question!!

£336 in tips for my 6 and 8 year old is a little expensive, but their child prices are significantly lower and in some cases free, so it's really swings and roundabouts.

What I would like to see is that all ships sailing from the UK which attract prodominantly UK passengers is including the tips in the fares as a standard charge, which would make price comparion easier and give a true reflection of costs.

Thomson and OV have all tips and gratuities included and most passengers I have encountered on these cruise ships still give a tip waiters and cabin attendants.

Tipping in America is standard, we on the other hand don't have this culture and the thought of extra costs while aboard puts some passengers off as they prefer to have paid up before they cruise.

It would also stop the dining rooms being half empty on the final night!

I thought the whole query was raised about taking a one year old on a Celebrity cruise.

Its an American cruise line, and tipping is part of the American culture, they tip for everything. So for them paying tips for a one year old on a cruise, is nothing out of the ordinary. This country different ball park.

I thought the whole query was raised about taking a one year old on a Celebrity cruise.

Its an American cruise line, and tipping is part of the American culture, they tip for everything. So for them paying tips for a one year old on a cruise, is nothing out of the ordinary. This country different ball park.

Thanks for seeing the point of the question Derek, I am interested in what people think about this, which is a major difference in the cultures between the two lines.

My use of the word "you" in my answer wasn't directed at you personally John. Maybe I should have used the word "people" instead. I meant anyone booking a cruise has to take the total outlay involved as being the cost of the holiday, however the price is arrived at.

Carol x

My use of the word "you" in my answer wasn't directed at you personally John. Maybe I should have used the word "one" instead.

Carol x

See what you mean there, but I have found that if "one" says "one" people just mock! so I understand!... I would like to know what basic "Brit" cruisers think of tips being charged for a baby..no big deal, just a discussion point.

I joined this site for the excellent port information and to possibly ask questions and respond to queries by other members if I could.

Frankly there does not seem to be much of cruise related exchange of information on this forum.

Virtual questions repeated four times, insults being thrown and general rudeness from a small minority.

I shall stick with the port information, thank you.

Now people have started actually thinking about it, the debate about a 12 month old paying full tips is changing a bit. I know us Brits are not so keen on tipping everything that moves like the Americans, but it just seems bizarre to me to tip for a baby.

Now people have started actually thinking about it, the debate about a 12 month old paying full tips is changing a bit. I know us Brits are not so keen on tipping everything that moves like the Americans, but it just seems bizarre to me to tip for a baby.

Why?

Given that they use the nursery (at least most do) and create mess for the steward, and odd requests of everywhere else, I'd almost argue for tipping extra for babies.

Archived