Unlocked luggage?

SeaScout

We just got off the Triumph in NOLA yesterday and we always lock our suitcases with cable ties. I have not heard of this policy until today but no one tampered with our cable ties. I do not know how long this policy has been in effect.

Joan

How do YOU open your luggage when you receive it now that they have banned scissors knives and tools? Regardles of what they say, I will continue to lock mine. I WILL NOT turn it over to a porter at the the ship unlocked.

I am a part time TA and I received this directly from Carnival in a news letter yesterday. This will begin with the ships in Miami and then the rest of the ships will follow. And, yes, they will be looking for "unauthorised" items such as alcohol in luggage.

SECURITY SCREENING AND PROHIBITED ITEMS POLICY

In order to maintain a safe and secure environment, Carnival prohibits certain items onboard, i.e., weapons, candles, irons, alcohol, or other dangerous goods. According to our policy, Carnival conducts security scanning of all luggage and if prohibited items are found, they will be removed and stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. Retained item(s) will be delivered to the guest’s stateroom on the last night of their cruise. Unsealed liquids that are prohibited will be discarded, as well as any unclaimed items left after the voyage, and no compensation will be given in either case.

IMPORTANT - All luggage must be unlocked before being turned over to the porters in order to avoid any inconvenience or delay in delivering the luggage to the guest’s stateroom.

For additional information, please refer to the terms and conditions located in our cruise ticket contract and related FAQs on Carnival.com.

This policy will now be strictly enforced effective with January 30th sailings of all of our Miami ships, with the rest of the fleet to follow shortly thereafter. We kindly request your assistance in making sure your clients are aware of this policy so they can be properly prepared once they arrive at the port for their cruise departure.

Hope this info helps in this discussion.

In order to maintain a safe and secure environment, Carnival prohibits certain items onboard, i.e., weapons, candles, irons, alcohol, or other dangerous goods. According to our policy, Carnival conducts security scanning of all luggage and if prohibited items are found, they will be removed and stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. Retained item(s) will be delivered to the guest’s stateroom on the last night of their cruise. Unsealed liquids that are prohibited will be discarded, as well as any unclaimed items left after the voyage, and no compensation will be given in either case.

Sounds like there will be some glug, glug, glug as the rum runners are emptied

I've never ever locked my luggage. I always assumed that if someone really wanted to go through my bag, they'd do it whether it was locked or not. I also know that it's not just the baggage handlers at the airport that steal stuff out of bags. The TSA has a few bad apples too, and I always figured why mess with a lock when they have the keys anyway.

WELLLLL....just last weekend I was on a flight to Baltimore. My luggage made it....but not my underwear! Everyone talks about valuable things being stolen, but my digital camera laid untouched. I would 100% rather have had my camera stolen than my underwear. All my friends laughed, but I was seriously freaked out and have never felt so violated in my life!

I'm paranoid now, and I'm not going anywhere without locking my luggage. Even if someone does have the keys, and even if someone is capable of getting in my bag with a lock on it, I'm not taking chances anymore. My luggage will be locked! Period.

I just spoke with a customer service agent at Carnival about unlocked luggage and she said that it is for guest who fly and use the transfers from the airport. Guest who drive to the port can lock their luggage. I didn't read it that way. :confused: I'm calling my PVP tomorrow to see what is required.

i also used the carnival transfer both ways. my bags were locked both ways.

A land excursion had resulted in my losing the lens from one eye of binocs:mad:

I put damaged binocs back into their carrying case:o

Luggage unlocked left outside last evening - binocs, no longer usable, put in luggage:(

Arrive home - NO BINOCS -:eek: case was there, glasses gone . They would have been with me in carry on if they were still of value:rolleyes:

Interesting outcome there!

I am a part time TA and I received this directly from Carnival in a news letter yesterday. This will begin with the ships in Miami and then the rest of the ships will follow. And, yes, they will be looking for "unauthorised" items such as alcohol in luggage.

In order to maintain a safe and secure environment...

IMPORTANT - All luggage must be unlocked before being turned over to the porters in order to avoid any inconvenience or delay in delivering the luggage to the guest’s stateroom.

...This policy will now be strictly enforced effective with January 30th sailings of all of our Miami ships, with the rest of the fleet to follow shortly thereafter. We kindly request your assistance in making sure your clients are aware of this policy so they can be properly prepared once they arrive at the port for their cruise departure.

Hope this info helps in this discussion.

Wow! I guess this gives us clarity on when they are starting with the increased security.

Anyone's guess when it will start besides in Miami.

Can anyone really object to Carnival scanning and inspecting luggage for security reasons? No, well any liquids would need to be checked to make sure they aren't dangerous (just like the airlines do) and while they're in there I suppose it makes sense to remove any alcohol as well, since it has been their policy forever.

They are also going to confiscate any prohibited unsealed liquids - not sure how they are going to determine what's in those containers, though. Taste tests, anyone? :rolleyes:

I still don't know why Carnival is insisting on unlocked luggage. They've already added to the ticket contract language that allows them to enter and search your luggage :eek: (your presence is not required) and remove any alcohol and any other prohibited liquids or prohibited items.

All they need to do is add something like if your luggage is locked they will cut the lock if they need to search the bag.

Surely, they can afford several pairs of small bolt cutters.;)

i just got off the victory 24jan10. my bags were locked going on and off the ship.

The notice mentioned this policy will begin on January 30th starting with the Miami port...I guess we will have to wait until the folks get back from those cruises to update us as to what is really happening...

Originally Posted by cricket32000 viewpost.gif

I just spoke with a customer service agent at Carnival about unlocked luggage and she said that it is for guest who fly and use the transfers from the airport. Guest who drive to the port can lock their luggage. I didn't read it that way. :confused: I'm calling my PVP tomorrow to see what is required.

That doesn't make much sense- perhaps it was supposed to be reversed? meaning guests who drive will need to have unlocked luggage? If you just got off the plane- I would think your bags would definitely not be carrying dangerous weapons/explosives, etc since it had to go through the TSA/airport screening machine. But if I drive to port, I can put anything my little heart desired into my bag...KWIM...:eek:

Archived