Travelling to Southampton from Scotland

Gugi

I would be interested in any advice on how Scots join cruises in Southampton. Cunard's web page shows coach travel but only from as far north as Carlisle. Air travel seems prohibitive as far as weight restrictions are concerned. We live near Hamilton:confused:

I would be interested in any advice on how Scots join cruises in Southampton. Cunard's web page shows coach travel but only from as far north as Carlisle. Air travel seems prohibitive as far as weight restrictions are concerned. We live near Hamilton:confused:

Totally agree about flying - I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. If you are in a position to drive down to Soton, you may want to consider going down the day before your cruise and booking an overnight stay in one of the local hotels. You should also be able to find one that does a deal on parking for the duration of your cruise. The Holiday Inn, for example, does a pre-cruise package that includes parking and transfer to the ship. That way you won't have to get stressed about making the departure time on the day of your cruise.

J

Although I live in Oakland, I'm from Glasgow. We flew with BA between Heathrow and Glasgow. You can take a 50lb suitcase each for free, which really holds a lot. You can take an extra 50lb suitcase, if you prepay online, for twenty eight pounds each way. I then use "Smiths for airports" each way from airport to port. They charge seventy pounds for a nice sedan. If you fly into Southampton with Flybe, you still need to take a taxi to and from the airport. Smiths is waiting right at the door for you. You can also share a mini-bus from Smiths with another couple of people from these boards between the port and airport. The mini-bus costs ninety-two pounds. While it's not the cheapest way to do it, it's completely smooth and hassle free.

BA cancelled our flight from Heathrow to Glasgow on January 11th, by email, with no rebooking. We were on the ship at the time! I managed to rebook us online out of Gatwick,four hours after the original time, at no extra charge, and when we got to Gatwick, BA gave us thirty pounds in vouchers for lunch (I had to ask for them). Smiths just took us to Gatwick instead of Heathrow.

We've done by train, by car and Fly(may)be.

The car journey is less than 7 hours at a reasonable speed, but rather than risk any problems on the day, you are better booking a hotel, and preferably one that looks after the car when you are away. The Hilton package is about £440 for 2 and that includes a bus to the terminal, but you have to be prepared to sit around for hours for the return bus trip. It's better to disembark "self help" early and take a taxi back to the hotel to beat the rush.

The train will probably require at least one change, although there are a few direct. The problem is the weekends, as that's when they carry out their maintenance and timetables go out the window. Our last Soton - Glasgow was over 10 hours.

Fly(may)be I'm afraid to say, is probably the best option. There is never a problem taking cases from GLA, but on the way back they are waiting to pounce. You are also allowed 10 kg worth of carry-on luggage plus the 20 kg hold, so if you plan it right it and acquire a couple of "grip" type bags that are within their size, then its not so bad. Wear at least one jacket and your heavier shoes for the journey and remember to fill your pockets.

The taxi from the airport is a set price and including any tip would be less than £20 and takes around 20 mins. We've always managed to team up with others so that reduces the cost further.

So unfortunately there is no easy answer. P & O (also part of Carnival), do run buses from Glasgow so I've never understood why Cunard don't.

Last Summer I used the train to travel to Southampton. Involved a change in London, including a taxi from one station to another. This year I intend to fly Glasgow to Heathrow and then on by train or bus. Will do this the day before sailing and will stay at Jurys. I shall be cutting back on luggage as even the transatlantic flight home with AA restricts me to 23kg .I reckon I can carry most of what I need without extra charges on BA down to Heathrow. Lots of shoes in hand luggage!

Would be nice if Cunard could show some consideration to those of us who live north of the border!

I checked Trainline.com and you can get a single ticket Glasgow to Southampton for GBP 57.50 by changing at Euston for Waterloo. I don't know when you are going but I picked a day in March. That fare seems pretty reasonable. I use this site several times a year and did so for four train journeys this past January via FGW.

I found another on National Rail, change at Wolverhampton, for GBP 65 single. That's even better as you change at the same station.

When I go to Southampton by train I get one direct from Manchester via Birmingham New Street, so you sould be able to change at Birmingham, with not need to go via London and change stations.

The coach leaves Carlisle at about 3am so I would not even think about that.

It would not be too bad a drive down, but I would go the day before and stay overnight in Southampton.

Why not consider the London sleeper, it gets you into Euston around 7-8am Or what l tend to do when travelling from Elgin is take the London train from Aberdeen, Book it far enough in advance and First class can be about £60 each way, well worth it, East Coast seem to have improved much since the National Express crowd. Overnight in London then catch Southwest trains train onto Southampton.

I would love to fly down but sadly the luggage allowance wont allow it

Many thanks for all your advice. I have looked on the Flybe site and they have changed their baggage policy. You can check in a second bag for £28 which gives you a 40kg allowance. In view of the short journey by air I think that will be the way we will go but I agree that going the day before and having an overnight makes sense.:)

Many thanks for all your advice. I have looked on the Flybe site and they have changed their baggage policy. You can check in a second bag for £28 which gives you a 40kg allowance. In view of the short journey by air I think that will be the way we will go but I agree that going the day before and having an overnight makes sense.:)

CAn you point me in the direction of this - we use them alot & it would be useful, but I can only find

under FlyBe Economy -

Passengers travelling Flybe Economy are allowed to carry 20kg of luggage in the hold as well as one piece of hand luggage (maximum 10kg) on board.
at https://www.flybe.com/flying_flybe/economy.htm

and under FlyBe Economy Plus

With Flybe Economy Plus you can enjoy the largest baggage allowance of any UK low cost airline at no extra cost. You can check-in up to 40kg¹ of luggage into the hold free of charge, plus bring a laptop bag on board in addition to the standard one piece of hand luggage.

https://www.flybe.com/flying_flybe/economy_plus.htm

Ok just Found it :D

http://www.flybe.com/flightInfo/baggage.htm

Pity they didn't update all the pages!

From Tuesday 01 December 2009 as well - we flew with them over XMas & didn't know this - thanks:)

This is a brand new policy as I was caught out in 2008 when I booked, and paid for, a total of 3 bags. They pointed to the small print where is stated that the max weight was still 20 kg each regardless of how many bags you book and pay for.

The old policy nearly caused riots, so perhaps they have taken note at last.

Stewart

Archived