Roll Call Celebrity Summit 6 March 2010

ConradMZ

Hey guys! Sorry, we have been so busy recently that I haven't had a chance to get on this board. We are in the process of looking for a new condo here in NYC and working at the same time. Looking forward to the cruise. Is there going to be an FOD meeting, or do we have to request one? Either way, you might recognize us around the pool as the tall bearded short-haired guy with his shorter, tan filipino sidekick.

Emil is 27, works for a major hospital here in NYC. I'm 21, opera singer/full-time student. Can't wait!!!

That is correct. We could switch, I suppose. But on the RSVP/HAL cruise last summer, we tried the fixed dining one evening (I think the second evening), and it was no different from the open seating dining, and we found the early seating too early and the late seating too late (same sort of holds true for this time round, though I suppose things are meant to match the show times?), so just went with the open seating every other evening. It was a good way to get to know other people. Sometimes we would go with other people and be our own group which was either part of a larger table or even filled the table (depending on the size of the group), but when we just went as a couple, we always (except once at lunch) got to know other people.

One nice thing about the celebrity century cruise we took last year was the sushi set-up every day around 5pm in the back of the buffet area (near the sunset deck). Not super high quality sushi, but better than average. It was a nice late afternoon snack in case our lunch plans were derailed by the port days (they also had a pasta bar and other stuff set up as soon as the normal lunch buffet ended around 2 pm).

I'm assuming summit will have the same setup. You won't go hungry!

Browsing through the celebrity forum there is a lot of feedback pro and con for anytime dining. Seems it works well if you're a small party and want to meet new people every night, doesn't work so well if you want to dine with a larger group. Show times are built around traditional seating (the shows aren't that great.... but there's not much else to do after dinner). Some people say the dinner service is rushed for anytime dining (I know how Germans are at restaurants :D).

Ken: if you want to eat at the same table, e-mail me with your reservation number and booking name and I can link the two reservations on the website (will contact X if needed, e-mail is on my profile). Maybe Brian and Emil #2 can join us?

Christian is 6'3" and korean, so he's hard to miss. He's a choral singer and thinking about medical or nursing school, so ya'll (sorry) will have plenty to talk about. I'm just an average working stiff (pic above, in the fur coat.... jk).

I've read on the X forum that the summit showtimes are 7 pm and 9 pm, so the early show is for the late seating and the late show is for the early seating. That probably makes it tricky to hold an FOD party between dinner seatings (which is typical). (Would be easier if we had more do-nothing sea days!).

Where are others staying before the cruise, or are you arriving the same day? We will be at the Atlantic Beach Hotel the morning before embarking. After boarding, we are in Cabin 8046, in case we should not meet up by chance. I don't think we want to switch to the fixed, late seating--for the first couple of nights, anyway, we might be eating on the earlier side and gradually shift later as we get accustomed to the time zone. 8:30 pm Atlantic time is 1:30 am German time. If the waiters rush us, I have few qualms about sending things back until I am ready for them--of course, the tips are pre-paid with open seating dining, but presumably everyone still wants to get along... :-)

BOOOOOOO GREG CAVED.

He didn't ask me! He just did it..... He was terrified of getting stuck at a table with a bunch of chatty puerto ricans or creepy old people.

So as punishment I signed us up for the connections party so he can be tortured by all the perky middle-aged women. :D

Should we set a tentative time/location for the FOD gathering in case there is not one prearranged by the cruise director? I was thinking 8 pm at the Champagne bar -- which is across from the Martini bar. I'm sure the Martini bar will be the most popular spot, so it'll be easier to find people at the Champagne bar (we can always wander over if we need something stronger to kill the norovirus :)). 8 pm is more-or-less between the dinner seatings and show times, and those who dine 7-ish can wander over after dinner.

Hello all... another couple here, from Seattle, looking forward to some R&R in sun! Had a great experience on the Millennium last July in Alaska, so decided to give Celebrity another try for our winter vacation. We're in a sky suite on Deck 8 - staying at the Conrad in San Juan 2 days prior to departure. Say "Hi" if you see us onboard -we tend to be kind of shy...;)

Hey there - the other half of the Canadian couple here.

Will be great to meet you all on board. It's our first cruise of any kind, so we're looking forward to the experience.

I'll check back in before we leave Toronto and we'll definitely connect for a cocktail once we set sail.

Hi all, crashing your thread...my partner and I are on the Summit one week before your cruise (leaving Feb 27) and I noticed that we are in the same cabin as ConradMZ. We'll leave it in good shape for you!

We were to have been in San Juan by now but due to another snow storm in the northeast US, we couldn't get a flight out today. The weather's looking better for tomorrow - looks like we'll be fine.

Hope you all have a great cruise!

Glad to hear Greg and Christian have switched to open seating! What is the Connections party with the perky middle-aged women? Is that the gathering at 4 pm that is being set up on the general roll call thread? If so, then hopefully we will see you there and maybe even make plans for dinner!

What a coincidence that 8046 goes from one gay couple on Cruisecritic to another!

What is the Connections party with the perky middle-aged women? Is that the gathering at 4 pm that is being set up on the general roll call thread? If so, then hopefully we will see you there and maybe even make plans for dinner!

Yep, I'll be around the mast bar 5-ish (not sure about Christian), maybe we can do dinner 7-ish. You bring the sauerkraut, we'll bring the kimchi!

Toronto & Seattle: first names? dinner times? (cabin # optional, we might be stalkers :rolleyes:)

I'm looking for ideas for Tobago and Barbados. I was thinking a beach in Tobago (pigeon point?) and maybe a cheap trashy island tour in Barbados (I think this island may have more personality than most). Going to Orient Beach in St Martin and doing a waterfall hike through the ship at 12:30 pm in Dominica (Middleham Falls). Not sure about Grenada yet -- Christian wants to visit a medical school and I may tag along, depends on weather and how my tan is coming along).

How about 8 pm at the champagne bar Sun thru Fri? But not on sail away day (Sat). I love to be on the top deck when the ship is pulling away.

I think Sat dinner is open seating for everyone since not everyone will be on the ship by 6 pm, so turn the crank on your gaydar and see if you can find us at the cruisecritic gathering around 4:30 or 5 at the mast bar (which i think is near the pool). Then we can do dinner 7-ish after the muster drill.

Archived