Port of Rome (Civitavecchia) to AVIS

Edward50

If it's the one on Via Settembre, the street is about a half mile from the shuttle stop. But then Via Settembre is a long street. The free shuttle bus stop is in front of the Fort. You probably should call or e-mail the actual Avis Rental agency and ask how far they are from the Fort.

I doubt you want to drag your bags that far without a taxi. Most taxi's at the pier (and there aren't very many) will not want to drive you a mile to Avis. They want fares to the airport.

Once you are at the Fort. you may be able to find a taxi in town. Or maybe you take the free shuttle to the Fort, have someone wait with the bags while you go get the car. Or maybe Avis will pick you up.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks so much for the reply FBLACK. Sorry to take so long to update the link. The delay was the partly to do with waiting for AVIS to reply but mostly it was me.

AVIS advised me that they do not supply a shuttle to the Fort on Week-ends and holidays. Unfortunately I will be arriving on a week-end. From the Fort to AVIS it looks like about 3 miles. We will have to find a taxi or bus once we arrive. Failing that one of our group will have to walk and come back for the luggage.

I was thinking of changing to Hertz as they have a much closer office but they do not supply GPS at that location and AVIS has a great rate through Costco whereas they seemed to be a lot of add on cost with Hertz.

RCCL does not seem to have much information on the Port of Rome so your reply has been very helpful.

Cheers.

Both Avis and Europcar are a bit far from the main port entrance...which is a good reason to try to rent from Hertz (a short walk from the main entrance). However, there is a back gate from the port that can get you within a few blocks of either Avis or Europcar. If you get a friendly port shuttle bus driver, he will drop you next to back gate which than makes it only a few minute walk to Avis (or Europcar). Otherwise, you have quite a hike from the main port entrance or you will need to find a taxi to take you on the short haul (not an easy task).

Hank

I have never been a fan of GPS but having one in our car in France has been wonderful, especially for navigating around in cities. We can get from City A to City B by ourselves, but for finding hotels, or our way back to the motorway, it has been a great help. That said, sometimes we let it have its head and it has taken us on some pretty untraveled roads--one step way from being unpaved. We have lots of time, so that's okay, but you do have to keep an eye on where they decide to take you. Mind you this has been way out in the country where we've been staying, not in cities or towns. Today in Nantes it was trying to get us to our hotel but the road it insisted on is closed to cars and that was a bit of a hassle, although it did get us within 3 blocks and we managed frm there.

The other benefit is that they notify you by a loud beep when a speed camera is coming up (most of the time anyway) so you can slow to the speed limit and save yourself a big fat ticket when you get home!

Have fun!

Cathy

We think a GPS unit makes life so much easier and it has probably saved my marriage. When I used to ask my wife to read the map and figure-out where we were she would ask me "how can I find where we are on a map when I don't have a clue where we are?" We finally bought our own Garmin Nuvi (with both North America and Europe maps) and now wonder how we managed without the gadget.

Hank

Archived