Ship Time vs Belize Time

Pisgah

I am still trying to figure this out as well. I do know that Belize does not "spring forward" like we do in the US. We change the clocks ahead March 14th. I called NCL to ask about it but didn't quite understand what they meant. They said that they will go by whatever time it is in Belize so when we dock in Belize, it will be whatever time onboard as it is in Belize. If I understand correctly, that would mean that the NCL ship would have to go back one hour when we get to Belize. The NCL leaves from New Orleans and it will be one hour ahead of Belize (Belize and New Orleans are both Central Time but New Orleans will spring ahead and Belize will not). I am still confused but that is the info I received.

This has got to be one of the most frustrating issues there is, with cruising. Daylight savings time is bad enough to deal with, but SOME ships adjust their times enroute to match shore time (they will announce for passengers to adjust their watches), while others just stay the same. I really with the c ruise lines would make a policy and do it all the same way. It would make life a lot easier!

Your tour operator WILL KNOW when your ship is in. They have to. That's the only way they can organize the tour and pick you up and get you back.

I rarely book an excursion with the ship and my indy tour operator is always there to pick me up to start the excursion.

So really it doesn't matter what time the ships on as long as the excursion operator is there to start your fun.

Our issue is figuring out the water taxi with the time change. Since we won't have a tour operator, we need to understand the time change so that we can get to and from Caye Caulker in time. THe water taxis will stay on Belize time so now I need to figure out if the NCL will be on the same time as the water taxi. Does anyone have experience with this? We will be in Belize on April 1st. Our ship leaves from New Orleans, which will be on Central time (Belize is one central time) but will be one hour ahead of Belize time because Belize doesn't not "spring forward" in March like we do.

This was one of my biggest concerns while planning as well. We took trip in Dec 09 (xmas cruise). On our ship (Valor) the ship time stayed the same as Miami time. Belieze was 1 hr behind ship time. Someone told me that the ship changed clock to match island time at each port, but in our experience that is NOT what happens. so intinerary states that you arrive in belieze at 8 am , that = 7 am Belieze time. happy sailing! Peggy

We were on a cruise last week out of Fort Lauderdale with an at sea day first and then Belize and two Mexican ports. We had a note on our pillow the first night telling us to turn our clocks and watches back an hour, and we stayed in that time zone until the last day of the cruise when we had another note on our pillows to turn the clocks ahead again. A lot of people were confused and had timing problems with excursions if they didn't pay attention to the notes left in the cabins. That was the only mention about the time change.

Archived