Celebrity, RCCL, or Disney with 4 yr old?

alj1208

DH and I have cruised only once. It was Celebrity Constellation, Southern Caribbean, and we LOVED it! That was before our DS's arrival. We're looking at cruising next winter with our child, who will be 4 1/2. We loved the luxury of Celebrity but are worried it won't be kid-friendly. Is RCCL's service/accomodation far below Celebrity's? We're concerned that Disney would feel like too much of a theme-park. Our son is easily over-stimulated and might do better on a cruise where the child care is more like a nursery school/play group than something with characters, etc. I get seasick and like Southern Caribbean for that reason. What should we do?

I've found that on Constellation and the other Celebrity ships that do longer than 7 day cruises, they tend not to attract many children at all, unless it's summer or Christmas break. I've been on Constellation and Infinity during school periods and I could count on one hand the number of kids on board. Other times, the average age goes up quite a bit higher. I you're planning this cruise during a school holiday, you will find more kids on board. I think RCI might be a very good choice because their kid's program is excellent. Disney is great, but expensive. I don't think their program is a total overload, and it's not all characters all the time. They are known to have a very good program.

We sailed with, celebrity, royal carribean and disney. Disney and royal both are really good for families w kids and have great kids programs. Celebrity is more for adults. In personal opinion, I would go with royal then disney, becasue disney is really expensive. Ex. spring break. disney for family of 4 was like 8k for 7 nights and royal (which we booked again) was for 10 nights for 1/4 the price. Good luck..

Disney is really nice for the adults and the kids. I have only cruised RCCL once before my kids - so I can't say anything about that and we are booked on our first celebrity cruise now. We have cruised Carnival and the kids loved it but I hated it, too crowded and tacky. We did do HAL and we all had a great time but I had worried it wouldn't be kid friendly, but it was great - but my kids are 8 and 12. I guess my advice would be pick what makes you happy, the 4yo will have fun anywhere.:D

We've done RCCL and Celebrity with the kids. Celebrity kids program is more low key, which is perfect for a toddler who is shy or doesn't do well in large groups. Only issue with Celebrity was that we did get some looks, but we also had an 11 month old in addition to our 3 1/2 year old. Royal Caribbean will have more interactive activities for your child.

Royal Caribbean doesn't feel as formal or "upscale" as Celebrity, but to be honest, with child in tow you probably won't notice the difference. Disney is a whole different experience that you may want to put off until you've done a mainstream cruise with your little one.

I agree with above poster...

I prefer X, and have never had an issue with my kids or getting looks.. Only compliments...RCCL is just too crowded for me.

For a child that young, any ship will be exciting with plenty to do... For that reason I stick with X.. and both my kids love it... They will be 3 and 13 respectively when we sail again in November.

I also like that it is less of a crazy atmosphere for them... they have plenty of fun and also learn how to conduct themselves in a more adult atmosphere.. But thats just me.

kids.jpg.4290c7eb1d11775260709f3df52eb15b.jpg

Archived