Kids without Supervision

tdwhite81

On 2/6/10 I will take my 5th Cruise. I am taking my 2 children ages 10 and 12. We will sail on the Ecstasy. This is my childrens 2nd crusie. They will be in 2 different groups. My daughter with 9-11 and my son with 12-14,Circle C. My concern is for my son. He would like to be able to go along with the other children alone. On their 1st cruise parents could give permission for their child to sign themselves in and out as they wished.I didnt allow this on their first cruise but I am considering it for our upcoming cruise. He doesnt have a behavior problem or anything like that. He is just a normal boy, short attention span and likes to joke alot. I am just a concerned parent.:confused:

I know their is an orientation on first day but I didnt attend on their 1st cruise because I didnt plan for them to walk around without adult supervision at that time.

Are walkie talkies or something like that available? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

On 2/6/10 I will take my 5th Cruise. I am taking my 2 children ages 10 and 12. We will sail on the Ecstasy. This is my childrens 2nd crusie. They will be in 2 different groups. My daughter with 9-11 and my son with 12-14,Circle C. My concern is for my son. He would like to be able to go along with the other children alone. On their 1st cruise parents could give permission for their child to sign themselves in and out as they wished.I didnt allow this on their first cruise but I am considering it for our upcoming cruise. He doesnt have a behavior problem or anything like that. He is just a normal boy, short attention span and likes to joke alot. I am just a concerned parent.:confused:

I know their is an orientation on first day but I didnt attend on their 1st cruise because I didnt plan for them to walk around without adult supervision at that time.

Are walkie talkies or something like that available? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

we took our twelve year old last year, and we were going to do the walkie talkies, but figured they would eventually get left somewhere and lost. he ended up hanging out all week in the game room, pool, or hot tub, so he was always easy to find. we just gave check in times, or a place to meet, and it worked out fine. my wife was a bit worried at first, but the ship is a fairly safe place to be. i would say it is safer than walking home from school.

You sound a bit anxious about leaving him unsupervised. You know your son the best and what he is capable of doing. Go with your gut instinct

Set up some rules and everything should be fine.

My #1 rule is that they have to use the buddy system, no exceptions. There is safety in numbers. This is an excelent rule for adults as well.

My son can go with other youth he has met, but must tell us where he is going, and who he is with.

He is not allowed in anyone elses cabin. He should be only in public areas, with the exception of going to/from his room.

My 9 year old didn't use Camp Carnival last week. It took him a good 4 days before he was comfortable enough to go out on his own. But after that he took his 7 year old brother with him and they did fine. They went to the arcade and the room and the Lido deck. We set meeting times and everything worked out. I'd say tour the ship a few times to let them get familiar, then off they go.

Boy are times different, at 12 I would leave the house in the morning and wasn't expected home till dark. Set some ground rules like the ones listed here and enjoy your trip. Thats my two cents. Of course your going to worry, but don't let that ruin you or your DS trip. ;)

Archived