Embarkation Security

shadowyone

This thread reminded me of something we saw while going through security at Mobile earlier this month.

One of the guys ahead of us in a group (who actually cut into the VIP line) was having problems getting through the metal detector. He removed shoes, belt, and jacket. Still set it off. When he was "wanded", it turned out to be all of the "hardware" (piercings) in his face, ears, and head............. Also, one lady in this 'group' had a Tidy Cat jug with her. I didn't ask..............:eek:

While they had the metal detector and were X-raying the carry-on bags, the actual level of sensitivity seemed a lot lower. Their metal detectors seemed to be set low so, for example, they weren't picking up rivets in jeans. I think they were just making sure no one was walking on with a gun or an 8" knife.

Similarly, for the bag scanners, I think they were just looking for major weapons and excessive amounts of unauthorized beverages.

Not quite a strict as airports, I've never had to take my shoes off, laptop out, etc. You do have to go through medal dector and anything you carry on has to go through scanner.

my last 2 cruises have been from san juan. it's harder for me to get into an SEC football game than to get on a cruise ship in san juan. that's no joke.

This thread reminded me of something we saw while going through security at Mobile earlier this month.

One of the guys ahead of us in a group (who actually cut into the VIP line) was having problems getting through the metal detector. He removed shoes, belt, and jacket. Still set it off. When he was "wanded", it turned out to be all of the "hardware" (piercings) in his face, ears, and head............. Also, one lady in this 'group' had a Tidy Cat jug with her. I didn't ask..............:eek:

Not housebroke?

Shoes, glasses -- no. Laptops (even in check-thru bags), belts, jackets, pocket change, camera -- yes.

As of Jan 9, Port Canaveral.

Same in Long Beach, Jan 15.

In New Orleans we went through a sniffdown by a very nice German Shepherd in between the welcome aboard picture and the metal detectors.

We got the AG dog in San Diego on debark. (I'm sure that there is a pun in there somewhere)

Last cruise, I was wearing a removable cast thing on my wrist, and I only had to take it off the first time we went onto the ship. All the other times, returning from port onto the ship, I asked security if I should take it off and they always told me no. I only set off the detector half the time, and they always just waved me right through, never got wanded or anything. For all they knew, I could have been hiding an explosive under my swimsuit coverup.

But my fellow cruisers don't need to worry about me, I enjoy cruising far too much to ever blow one up :D

We jsut went on the elation. I have a 15 inch titanium knee replacement (and most of my thigh). Anyways, I always "beep" during the metal detector. I told the girl "I always go off, I have a knee replacement". She wanded my knee, and that was IT. I was shocked, my friends were shocked, and we went right on......

We jsut went on the elation. I have a 15 inch titanium knee replacement (and most of my thigh). Anyways, I always "beep" during the metal detector. I told the girl "I always go off, I have a knee replacement". She wanded my knee, and that was IT. I was shocked, my friends were shocked, and we went right on......

Same with me, My right tib/fib is bionic. They take one look at all the scars, usually make a funny face and say "Have a nice day".

Archived