Great Stirrup Cay

Jewelfine

The only island I've seen jet skis on is RCCL's Labadee. GSC doesn't have any! :( I will once again start my petition to go to Key West instead of GSC for the upcoming cruise! :)

Actually Coco Cay (right next to GSC) which is RCCL's private Bahama Island has Jet Skis but only for guests of Royal Carribean :( Bummer

CruisinMaterial:

It seems as if you were on the Sky this month. How was it??

We (wife, two teen girls and myself) are going on our first cruise at the end of March on the Sky. Reviews seem to be coming in mixed.

Thanks!!

I'm not CrusinMaterial, but I was just off the Sky last weekend. I've had other 7 day cruises under my belt, and this was my first shorter cruise. So for me, the shorter cruise was a little more disappointing, just because I was used to the longer ones. My complaints were it was too casual (a very high percentage in jeans and shorts at dinner, fewer formal activities than longer cruises), shows weren't as good as the longer cruises, and the ports didn't excite me as much as the Caribbean ports I've previously visited.

That being said, if you go in with it being your first cruise, knowing it's pretty casual and researching the ports well (not a ton to do other than beaches and shopping), you'll be pleased, I think. Also know the food will be average, not what people used to talk about 10 years ago or more in cruising. Think Applebee's quality, with more innovative menu choices and sometimes presentation in the main dining rooms. Specialty restaurants, for a fee, are higher quality, but for a short cruise, I don't think it's particularly worth it if you are on a budget. If it's in your budget-do it, they are a good experience!

Your teens will enjoy the White Hot Nights party!

I'm not CrusinMaterial, but I was just off the Sky last weekend. I've had other 7 day cruises under my belt, and this was my first shorter cruise. So for me, the shorter cruise was a little more disappointing, just because I was used to the longer ones. My complaints were it was too casual (a very high percentage in jeans and shorts at dinner, fewer formal activities than longer cruises), shows weren't as good as the longer cruises, and the ports didn't excite me as much as the Caribbean ports I've previously visited.

That being said, if you go in with it being your first cruise, knowing it's pretty casual and researching the ports well (not a ton to do other than beaches and shopping), you'll be pleased, I think. Also know the food will be average, not what people used to talk about 10 years ago or more in cruising. Think Applebee's quality, with more innovative menu choices and sometimes presentation in the main dining rooms. Specialty restaurants, for a fee, are higher quality, but for a short cruise, I don't think it's particularly worth it if you are on a budget. If it's in your budget-do it, they are a good experience!

Your teens will enjoy the White Hot Nights party!

Weltek:

Thanks for the info. Another question for you or anyone else. We are supposed to get 2 books (one for each room) for discounts or on board credits (not sure which). Have any of you seen these? Are they of any use?

Thanks again!!

The snorkeling is average at best. There were probably 10 different kids of fish I could see, and they were plentiful in the drop off near the rocks. There's no colorful coral. You are slightly limited in area that's good for snorkeling, though it's comforting to know lifeguards are watching.

It was worth it to snorkel, but defnitely not "amazing" by any stretch of the imagination. Any snorkel-addicts will be disappointed if this is the only place the snorkel on their vacation.

It's actually quite a nice place for first time or infrequent snorkelers, though, to feel safe with a lifeguard and lots of people nearby.

The only island I've seen jet skis on is RCCL's Labadee. GSC doesn't have any! :( I will once again start my petition to go to Key West instead of GSC for the upcoming cruise! :)

Sign me up!

I would take Key West over GSC anytime.

This is one place I have always wanted to visit. We had booked a cruise on the Gem specifically because it had a stop at KW. then two months before the cruise, they changed the itinerary and cancelled the KW stop and added a second Bahamas port which was close to anything except a small shoppping village.

The snorkeling is average at best. There were probably 10 different kids of fish I could see, and they were plentiful in the drop off near the rocks. There's no colorful coral. You are slightly limited in area that's good for snorkeling, though it's comforting to know lifeguards are watching.

It was worth it to snorkel, but defnitely not "amazing" by any stretch of the imagination. Any snorkel-addicts will be disappointed if this is the only place the snorkel on their vacation.

It's actually quite a nice place for first time or infrequent snorkelers, though, to feel safe with a lifeguard and lots of people nearby.

Exactly.

Do you know if they still charge for snorkeling if you bring your own equipment? We have ours, but if they're gonna charge me anyway for "average" snorkeling, I guess it wouldn't be worth it..

Do you know if they still charge for snorkeling if you bring your own equipment? We have ours, but if they're gonna charge me anyway for "average" snorkeling, I guess it wouldn't be worth it..

You're supposed to rent one of their vests, but I don't know if they enforce it. I want to say it's $6 to $7.

You're supposed to rent one of their vests, but I don't know if they enforce it. I want to say it's $6 to $7.

Yes they do. If you try to get in the water in gear without their vest they are on you like white on rice (at least they were in 2008). If you have a vest with a CO cartridge you can use your own. MIne that is just inflatable doesn't count

Me too KW!!! I love KW and not very excited about GSC! Hear us NCL?!?!?

Donna

Archived