Wine in carry-on and check bagged

Carnival allows one bottle of wine a person. I heard that technically you could put one bottle in your checked luggage and one in your carry-on because they dont check these at the same time. If they did see it in one or the other they would assume it was your one allotted bottle. Does this really work?

Don't forget your corkscrew, because if you want one onboard or if you wish to enjoy your spirits in the dining room, you pay a hefty $15 corkage fee for them to open the bottle/s. I am one to enjoy a bottle of my favorite dinner wine and have no problem paying them to open/seal/store my bottle for the cruise as one bottle would last at least 4 days. Plus I checked their price list and the prices are terribly inflated. My $8 bottle of Merlot in my local supermarket costs more than $30 on board. So, by bringing it onboard and paying their stupid corkage fee, I am still coming out cheaper than buying the bottle onboard.

It really depends on the cruiseline, and time of year, and how diligent the "searchers" are...bring what you want...if they "catch" it...they'll hold it for you (if it's in the original bottle) and give it back to you before you leave the ship.

Have found that if you put wine (or any liqueur) in a heavy duty plastic bottle that does not look like a wine/liqueur bottle, it has always gotten through screening. Trick is squeeze liquid up so no air is left and it has some negative pressure when you put the cap on and wrap in zip lock bag, no spills yet.

A group of us are cruising soon for my birthday. I have planned on giving them "favors" of a small bottle of wine, eye mask and pedicure set all inclosed in a gift bag. The bottles are plastic and probably about 6oz. each. I have 8 bags to hand out. I will have thone person who is driving take them with her, but once she gets to the port, can she bring them in a box wrapped up as gifts or should she put them in her suitcase? Hopefully they will not be taken. Any suggestions? I will ask this question on the CCL site also.

Archived