Dalmatian Gems October

sandyruns

Hi Everyone. I'm a newbie, and I'm thinking of booking the Dalmatian Gems on October 2 on the Sprit. Saw some positive reviews of this cruise on the thread. Will this cruise still be OK in the beginning of October, or will the port towns be essentially shut down?

The other choice is the Aegean Odyssey (Turkey to Greece) on 9/25. Intrigued by this one as well.

We are mid-late 30s, and haven't gone to any of these countries. Has anyone done both of them? Appreciate the help in advance. The choice is tough!

Sandy

I should think that the weather would be divine in early October. I have done some of the ports in the summer, and they were,of course, busier. However, I think with the world economy the way it is, most ports would be open when cruise ships arrive. It's also truffle season, so if you get the chance, a truffle hunting excursion would be fun. I am sure others will chime in as well. I particularly loved Kotor. If you check Captain G-A's photo website, there are pics of many of the ports thre.

Hi Everyone. I'm a newbie, and I'm thinking of booking the Dalmatian Gems on October 2 on the Sprit. Saw some positive reviews of this cruise on the thread. Will this cruise still be OK in the beginning of October, or will the port towns be essentially shut down?

The other choice is the Aegean Odyssey (Turkey to Greece) on 9/25. Intrigued by this one as well.

We are mid-late 30s, and haven't gone to any of these countries. Has anyone done both of them? Appreciate the help in advance. The choice is tough!

Sandy

We have done most of these ports on both these cruises. VERY difficult to decide if you have not been to any of these places. The weather should be good - not too hot - for both, and nowhere should be shut down in Sept. or Oct.

Spirit - sailing out of and into Venice is a very special experience, and if you could stay a day or two at the beginning or end of the cruise it would be worth it. The sail into and out of Kotor is also very special, and Dubrovnik is also lovely - the ideal thing to do is walk round the old walls. It could be busy if there is a large ship in also, in town.

Odyssey - sailing out of Istanbul is also lovely, and again a night or two before the cruise would be good. Pergamum and Ephesus are very well worth seeing, if you are at all interested in ancient times, and if they do the evening in Ephesus that is a lovely experience. Santorini is also a one-off, very beautiful, though not good news if there is also a large ship there. (Last time we were there the large ship sailed off at 1 p.m., meaning the town and cable car were easier in the afternoon.

You should see all these places sometime - try to do one this year and one next year!!

lincslady -- I like your thinking! This one is for our 10th wedding anniversary, but after this, I'm sure we'll be hooked and will do another! Which of the boats did you prefer?

JaneBP -- thanks for the truffle idea! That sounds fabulous.

lincslady -- I like your thinking! This one is for our 10th wedding anniversary, but after this, I'm sure we'll be hooked and will do another! Which of the boats did you prefer?

JaneBP -- thanks for the truffle idea! That sounds fabulous.

Hi again sandyruns. We have not yet tried the Odyssey, but I am glad we started on the little ships. Most posters like both, but a few still prefer the small ones, and I personally think that the Venice trip would be very special for you partly because it IS Venice, and would be a romantic start and finish to your anniversary holiday.

I was aboard the Spirit last Oct. and the Odyssey in Nov.Weather was grand! For an anniversary I would definately book the Spirit.

The Odyssey is lovely but celebrating a special day the smaller Spirit "takes the cake!":D The Staff/Crews on the 'lit Sister ships specialize in "occasions." They know how to go all out ~~I've enjoyed special birthday dinner parties (on the Pride) that were held in the Constellation Lounge ~~(not an easy feat serving dinner to 25 guests)

Enjoy your sailing and have a most wonderful anniversary ~:p

Martita B.

A further thought to confuse you more - I imagine you are a long flight away from Europe? If so it seems a shame to do just one week - if you could afford the time and funds to do two weeks you could stay on Spirit and have a free day in Venice before going on to Rome, with more nice ports.

I would LOVE to do that. Problem is, we are leaving our child with grandparents and we can't be away more than 10 or 11 days. That leaves us with the cruise and 3 days or so on land.

I called last night and it seems to be filling up, so I think I'll book the Dalmatian Gems, based on everyone's advice. I can do another itinerary/ship next time, right? I agree that a smaller ship might make for a better anniversary experience.

We did this cruise in May and I LOVED it. Stayed at the Hilton Mulino Stuckey and saw the ship dock from our window. The hotel has a courtesy shuttle that leaves you off two blocks from the ship. If you choose to go by water taxi that will be the fastest $100 you ever spent. My travel agent arranged a special tour in Slovenia that was definitely a highlight. It included the salt pans and a winery. The entry into Montenego was spectacular. If on the Spirit ask Chef Willy to get you a fish from the local market. His preparation was impressive.

>"Any other tips?"

If you plug tips into this forum search, there are many threads. Need to check them, since some are itinerary-specif and many others are of a more general nature, such as Martita's time-honored suggestion to move the chair from the vanity to the window or by the divan and replace it with one of the stools to have more space.

Jane

The "vanity chair replacment" is an all-time favorite tip ~~

Here are 2 other ideas: ask your stewardess for an extra blue soft bathmat. I enjoy the cold bathroom floor to be partly covered.

Another: ask for a brown wicker laundry-shirt basket for your vanity. I place my make-up in the basket ~~it's handy for odds & ends as well. (during rough seas your vanity items won't slide to the floor ~~or even worse, in the trash basket ~~which happened to my jewelry on a rough sea Crossing)

Dining tip: when requesting a special dinner or a tableside flambe' desert give the Maitre'D a 2 day notice.

MB

Archived