St/ Petersburg with 4 young children

Mardonna

We did a Baltic cruise last summer with our 4 1/2 year old dd. Look further down the page for a thread on doing this cruise with kids. I have posted a lot of info there about how we did it. (Bottom line is our little princess LOVED seeing all the palaces...)

Need help with any suggestions you can offer......tour compnaies that work well with kids? maybe shouldn't even bring youngest who is 3.....thoughts?

This is a hard question to answer. I would definitely check with several of the tour companies and feel them out. You will be paying for them on any tours, as they occupy a seat on the bus.

Just from my experiences in St Petersburg, i would imagine that they would get quite bored looking at many pictures, paintings, museums etc. There are things that might interest kids such as the fountains at Peterhof, the band playing as you are by Catherine's Palace, the subway ride, the hydrofoil ride, even a canal boat ride if it is included. But, once into any of the Palaces, Churches or Museums, I would think young children would get very restless and bored.

If you are going to take them, one suggestion i might make. You can buy them all inexpensive camera's and let them take their own pictures. I know my kids, when they were young, loved the idea that thwey could take their own pictures and make their own photo album. It kept them busy all the time.

You have to pay for additional camera's, after one, but that is a minor expense if it will keep them occupied for hours on end.

Hope this helps

Len

Len:

Thanks for the suggestion on having the kids bring a cheap camera. My nine year old is dying to bring his nice digital, but we will leave it on the ship I think in St. Pete's. We decided to do a private tour with SPB and we are seeing everything, but not spending tons of time in the Museums or Churchs. We are having the boys (9 and 8) help plan the tours and they love looking up on the internet information about each place. I can understand little girls getting excited about the palaces (I am too!), but the boys are looking forward to the boat ride and the fountains!

Archived