Church of spilled Blood inside

Mardonna

I have noticed that on mnay city intro tours....they don't offer time to go inside.....is this a must see? same with St. issac's.....they offer photo stops.....how long does it take to go in and walk around? What do you give up if you want to do this?

I have noticed that on mnay city intro tours....they don't offer time to go inside.....is this a must see? same with St. issac's.....they offer photo stops.....how long does it take to go in and walk around? What do you give up if you want to do this?

The inside of the Church of the Spilled Blood is magnificent. It is NOT a long stop with most tours, but it usually is included. it should be a must see. With our group, we were there for about 1/2 an hour, inside, but we left the group to go outside to take some other photo's and to do some quick shopping at some of the local vendors.

I am including a short video of the inside of the church. it will give you a good prospective of what to expect.

http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/?action=view&current=europemaster840.flv

Len

Question has come up before and I'll give you the same answer-

Try to find a tour that gives you some time inside both.

For different reasons both are magnificant inside but my first choice would be to see Spilled Blood.

Most of the intro tours are not going to give you enough time but most boat or private tours will at least offer time inside one or the other.

JKW

Look a little down the pages for more discussion and pics from both sites.

I suppose that it depends on what kind of tour you are on. We had a small group with Alla and spent as much time as we felt was needed. It did not take long to walk around the cathedral and I would recommend it.

What was most interesting was the placement of the monument dedicated to Alexander II who, in 1881 was assassinated here. The foundation of the church was actually moved into the canal so that the memorial could be at the exact spot.

At least that was one thing we learned and were able to see. I won't belabor the pictures of all this that are posted in our Baltic cruise portion of our web site (except this one). The spot where Alexander II died.

b251.jpg

Our group has booked a tour with Alla based on her 'strenuous tour' which includes inside excursions to most must-see museums and churches. You can contact Alla at www.alla-tour.com.

The interior of Spilled Blood is a must see. Please don't consider skipping it. It is, in a word, breathtaking!

If you arrange a private tour you don't have to skip anything. You may be looking at a prepackaged tour. Hands down the best way to see St Petersburg is with a private tour in a small group where you work with the guide or company to determine what you want to see. You can add others to your group through your roll call - it will probably even work out to be less expensive than using a prepackaged tour. Win, win, win.

I agree with the other posters. Please do not miss the inside.

The Church of the Spilled Blood was the highlight of Russia for me. I didn't expect it to be and we did see so many fantastic things but this church, especially the mosaics inside were simply amazing to me.

For sure a do not miss church.

Archived