***Alert*** first timers

jcruise67

Message for first time cruisers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

those of you first-time cruisers that are not familiar with your ship-board Sail & Sign account, here is a few things that you need to know.

1. Your Sail & Sign account is opened on the pier prior to boarding with a credit card or cash deposit.

2. You will be issued a credit card type room key that also doubles as you Sail & Sign account card.

3. Everything you purchase on board, including drinks, photos, on board shopping, etc. is executed by producing your Sail & Sign card.

4. Be sure and save all your receipts (when you produce your Sail & Sign card, you will sign a receipt for items purchased) Make sure you receive a copy of all receipts with your signature on them.

5. In the evnt you lose your Sail & Sign card (Also your room Key), report it immediately at the ship's purser's desk.

6. Be careful sharing personal information with other pax. (Last name, cabin #, etc. (Your room key/Sign & Sail card has your name and room number on it)

7. To avoid losing your card or someone retrieving your information, be sure you keep your card in your possession at all times.

8. Pax fraud is not uncommon. I've seen other pax use other pax info to purchase drinks at bars and by the pools. (Again, make sure you sign and get a copy of your receipts)

9. If at any time you are unsure of any purchase or of a fraudulent signature on your recipts, you can refute the charges at the purser's desk. (This is why it is imperative to maintain possession of all your receipts while on board.)

10. I can assure you that you will observe other pax refuting their bill because of the reason #9.)

11. On ocassion, cruise line staff will not always ask you for your card, especially if they know who you are, or you have the same waiter or waitress staff by the pool or anywhere else on the ship. (Just be sure and get a copy of every receipt that you sign for in the evnt of a purchase.)

12. Your Sail & Sign account card.room key is used everytime you come on and off the ship (Shore excursions, deboarding for any reason while docked in the islands) Also make sure you take your passport or identification with you when you leave or board the ship.

I've shared this information with you as a result of my own cruise experiences. Many pax are not aware of how significant their Sail & Sign accounts are, especially because it doubles as your room key. I've been on many cruises and I have had many teriffic experiences. I have provided you with this information just to highten your awareness as a first time cruiser. It is not meant to take anything away from your cruise experience. This info was very valuable to me when I first was advised of it. As a result, I've been fortunate to have wonderful cruise experiences.

John

I'm really hesitant to take my passport off the ship...is that a common practice? I'm so paranoid as it is of my bag being taken while in a foreign country, I'd be screwed if it were and my bag contents AND my passport were taken. would it be acceptable if I were to make copies of it and take that with me in port as proof of ID?

Yes, it is acceptable to make copies of your birth certificate or photo I.D. However, I would still check with the cruise line and confirm that you can do that. Some cruise lines differ in policy. My wife and I never had any problems or worries traveling abroad with our passports. You just have to be attentive and aware of your surroundings at all times. I have heard of locals in the islands that prey on tourists, but you just have to use good judgement. Definitely check with the cruise line you are sailing and inquire about their policies. Certain ports of call it is required to have your official documents, no copies.

John

A copy of your passport is fine in port, no need to take your original document.

You are absolutely right about treating your sail and sign card like your credit card, essentially that is what it is onboard a ship. BTW, if you have seen pax using others cards for purchases, did you happen to report it? I've never seen, or heard of anything like this on any of my cruises, though it could happen if your card is lost or stolen. But, if your card is lost or stolen, you cannot get into your room (most ships) and you cannot get on or off the ship in any port.

You do have to sign your receipts for any purchases, they will have a copy of the receipt. Any charge made to your card will be easily identifiable. I just wanted to add this because the original poster sounded a bit panicky, people really don't need another thing to worry about. Just be careful and report your card missing ASAP if that should happen to you.

While I'm here, I'd like to add, do not carry your card, or any credit card in a magnetized money clip. On our last cruise, DH used his money clip while in port, it wiped out the magnetized strip on both his CC and his Sail and sign card. He was careful to keep his cash between the magnet and cards, but it still happened.

Are they also charged to your account? How many sea pass cards do you get? This is our first cruise and it will be me, my husband and two girls. I would assume both adults could each get a card? Thanks for your replies.

Are they also charged to your account? How many sea pass cards do you get? This is our first cruise and it will be me, my husband and two girls. I would assume both adults could each get a card? Thanks for your replies.

Depends on Cruise line. Disney charged excursions to our account only after we boarded even though we reserved 60 days out. RCI requires you if you want to book ahead of time to pay up front with a credit card.

We are taking RCI Mariner of the Seas in March. I knew you could reserve excursions online, just wasn't sure if you had to reserve with a credit card. Thanks again.

You're welcome. Good luck.

mcgovern - you can take what you like with you, but it may not help you should you need to travel to another port. I wouldn't worry too much. I don't take originals ashore with me either.

Message for first time cruisers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

those of you first-time cruisers that are not familiar with your ship-board Sail & Sign account, here is a few things that you need to know.

1. Your Sail & Sign account is opened on the pier prior to boarding with a credit card or cash deposit.

2. You will be issued a credit card type room key that also doubles as you Sail & Sign account card.

3. Everything you purchase on board, including drinks, photos, on board shopping, etc. is executed by producing your Sail & Sign card.

4. Be sure and save all your receipts (when you produce your Sail & Sign card, you will sign a receipt for items purchased) Make sure you receive a copy of all receipts with your signature on them.

5. In the evnt you lose your Sail & Sign card (Also your room Key), report it immediately at the ship's purser's desk.

6. Be careful sharing personal information with other pax. (Last name, cabin #, etc. (Your room key/Sign & Sail card has your name and room number on it)

7. To avoid losing your card or someone retrieving your information, be sure you keep your card in your possession at all times.

8. Pax fraud is not uncommon. I've seen other pax use other pax info to purchase drinks at bars and by the pools. (Again, make sure you sign and get a copy of your receipts)

9. If at any time you are unsure of any purchase or of a fraudulent signature on your recipts, you can refute the charges at the purser's desk. (This is why it is imperative to maintain possession of all your receipts while on board.)

10. I can assure you that you will observe other pax refuting their bill because of the reason #9.)

11. On ocassion, cruise line staff will not always ask you for your card, especially if they know who you are, or you have the same waiter or waitress staff by the pool or anywhere else on the ship. (Just be sure and get a copy of every receipt that you sign for in the evnt of a purchase.)

12. Your Sail & Sign account card.room key is used everytime you come on and off the ship (Shore excursions, deboarding for any reason while docked in the islands) Also make sure you take your passport or identification with you when you leave or board the ship.

I've shared this information with you as a result of my own cruise experiences. Many pax are not aware of how significant their Sail & Sign accounts are, especially because it doubles as your room key. I've been on many cruises and I have had many teriffic experiences. I have provided you with this information just to highten your awareness as a first time cruiser. It is not meant to take anything away from your cruise experience. This info was very valuable to me when I first was advised of it. As a result, I've been fortunate to have wonderful cruise experiences.

John

Wow. Great post. Thanks John.

Dave

Happy Ks,

I'm not aprehensive about any aspect of cruising. I've cruised enough to know better. I posted this information just to share it with first time cruisers. On my first cruise in 1998, the cruise line overcharged me $300. If I didn't hold on to all my receipts, I would not have had the ability to refute it. As a matter of fact, many of the receipts either did not have my signature on it, or the signature they produced was not mine. I sign all my receipts a certain identifiable way just for this reason. BTW...I have seen other pax use another pax info to purchase drinks by the pool. They manipulate the pool bar staff (sometimes) by telling them they left their card at the room or at their chair by the pool. It just so happens I knew what was going on and I reported it right away to the bar staff. I also knew the other pax's so it made it easier. I'm not saying this occurs on a regular, but its just something first time cruisers, or any pax for that matter should be aware of. I'm only sharing information, thats all; I'm not at all trying to scare anyone. Just a little advice.

John

Hi to All....

The information is logical and should not scare the newbies, but remember that common sense is the key. I keep a copy of my passport, Driver's License, and credit cards in the room safe. Going off the ship, I would encourage taking 2 wallets, one with the ship's card, ID, and Large Bills, the other, small bills. Never pull the "big" wallet out in the street, only in the stores. Onboard, most people are honest, just make it easier for them and safeguard your information.......Dennis

Will the Sea Pass be on a lanyard or will we need to pick up one ourselves?
You'll have to pick one up yourselves. You can spend a lot for one (see the Cruise Critic Store for an example), or you can get one very cheaply at an office supply store, among other places. One of the first things we do when we get on board is to go to the Purser's desk and ask that our Sea Pass cards be punched so that they will go on a lanyard -- they know exactly where to put the hole so the card will still work wherever it needs to, and they're quite used to this kind of request.

John

Will the Sea Pass be on a lanyard or will we need to pick up one ourselves? And just out of curioisity, if you didn't want to use a credit card, how much would the cash depost be? TIA. :)

I wouldn't lanyard it - though you certainly can if you prefer. I normally keep mine in a mini wallet, you can also get around the neck holders and wallet.

Cash deposit policies are line-specific. Check with your line. Some don't require any, IIRC.

• 4 weeks later...

Katricia, yes, it is pretty much the same for all cruise lines.

BTW, children are issued their own sail and sign cards, they can use them to make purchases, so you do have to keep your eye on them, too. We have always gotten our kids the soda sticker and instructions to not use their cards for any purchases. We want to approve anything they buy first.

I don't know about other lines, but on Carnival, your cabin # is NOT on your sail and sign card.

Also speaking for Carnival, you can set up your children's sail and sign card so that they are not able to make any purchases on them.

When travelling abroad, it is advised that you carry your original passport with you at all times. A copy of it will be of absolutley no use to you in the unlikely event that you miss the ship. If you are going to make a copy, leave the copy in your cabin and take the original with you. Why did you get a passport in the first place? To facilitate travel between the U.S. and other nations. If the U.S. government allowed people to come here with a photocopy of a passport, we'd all be in serious trouble. Do yourself a favor and read the U.S. Dept. of State guidelines on travelling abroad.

Archived