VIA rail train Montreal to Quebec

We are cruising on the Crown Princess on Sept 27 from Quebec to NYC. There will be 4 of us. We are planning to taking the train from Montreal to Quebec on the 26th and overnight at the Hilton Quebec. My question??? I am sure the 3 trains that run that time of year will be very full with other cruise ship passengers are we safe ( assured we will get a seat) if we just buy the economy ticket or should we spend double the price and buy a business class ticket? From my research if you book business class you have a actual seat assigned. How about our luggage, are you able to check it or do you have to carry it on?

Thanks

We took Via Rail last October from Quebec to Montreal after our cruise on the Crown Princess ended in Quebec.

We bought economy tickets and had assigned seats; I can't understand why that wouldn't be the case with you unless they've changed drastically. We were able to check our luggage. Really nice train. Biggest problem they ran out of food to sell on board. We were planning to eat lunch on board (their rolling trolley) but only thing left was Pringles and drinks.

Have a wonderful trip...we did!

thanks so much for the info. That will save us a few dollars. Did you go directly to the ship or did you stay in a hotel first? We are at the Hilton Montreal Bonaventure before the train. I understand the train station is acoss the street from the hotel. In Quebec we have 1 night prior to sailing at the Hilton Quebec. Not sure how far it is from the train station.

In Quebec we have 1 night prior to sailing at the Hilton Quebec. Not sure how far it is from the train station.

Is there a compelling reason for you to stay at the Hilton (points, etc.)? It's an excellent hotel, but it's further away from the cruise terminal than the train station. You could alternately take a short taxi ride (or even a 15-20 minute walk) to one of the boutique hotels within walking distance of the cruise terminal.

To Missbsmom, The train station in Quebec city is in the lower part of the town and the Hilton is in the upper part of the city. The distance is in direct line less than 3 milles. The taxi just climb the hill and you are almost there. The cruise terminal is in the lower part of the town and almost the same distance of the train station. Enjoy your stay in Quebec. I was raise there and i still like to go there often. Have a nice cruise.

Boucalatrem

Driving distance by taxi from train to Hilton is less than 1 mile.

just staight up the hill which takes about 2 minutes

from the hilton to the cruise terminal, is about a 5 min taxi ride.

the whole sum of about 10.00 at the most.

• 2 months later...

Check with VIA regarding baggage, not all trains have a baggage car, those without have a limited rack in each train car (think airport rental car shuttle) plus overhead bins.

An economy ticket is usually open seating on non-express trains. Unlike the airlines, I dont belive VIA oversells. Infact I recall friends who walked onto sold out trains without a ticket, as tickets were sold out, and would buy on board and occupy a no-show's seat (I beleive security concerns may have ended that practise). Although you may not be guaranteed seats together, or even in the same car you will ahve a seat. In economy all food and drink is buy on board and limited to premnade sandwiches and snacks plus drinks.

A business class ticket guarantees a specific assigned seat, a slightly more comfortable and roomy seat (nothiong wrong with teh economy seats though) and pre-boarding. The big perk is that you get a full meal, wine, plus unlimited hard/soft drinks and more attentive service. At the larger (main) train stations business class passengers also have exclusive use of an appointed departue lounge.

I have taken VIA in both classes within and between Ontario and Quebec and business class is a farily affordable and welcome way to travel.

This will be our first time on these trains as well. We are getting off the Crown on the 27th and taking the train to Montreal. I have a paid reservation for two economy discounted fare-$68.85. I also have a car and seat assignment. I believe the fare classes can sell out. I think the fare I have is more than one I had seen a few weeks earlier.

We spent two nights in Montreal at the Hotel Nelligan which is one of the boutique hotels that were mentioned and is very close to the port.

Really great hotel.

Glad to hear it as we are booked there. They did tell me that they no longer do the wine and cheese in the afternoons.

Is it in walking distance to the cruise terminal?

I think it's within walking distance to the pier, but can't guarantee that. We walked from the hotel to a pier but I'm not sure if that's where your ship docks.

Ours docked in Quebec and we took a train to Montreal. Maybe someone else can answer your question.

Have a great time!

Archived