Kids on board

Has anyone cruised with an 18month on Majesty of the seas? Just wondering if there are kids pools and activities for him.

Thanks.

Little ones (it's the diapers) are not allowed in the swimming pool.

Adventure Ocean is for age 3 and up.

There will be a daily activity period in one of the lounges for you and your child. Look for information in the Cruise Compass.

We have sailed on a couple different cruise lines and RCI does not let kids swim in any of the pools including the kids pool if they are not fully potty trained no swim diapers allowed..(yet they sell them on the ship!!!)...i understand why but swim diapers are designed to help take care of any accidents. But rules are rules, i just wish i new before i sailed.

They do have kids programs where the parents and kids on the same age group get together in play groups...if was everymorning. When we went to our room there was a letter inviting my daughter to the play group.

Have a great cruise!! We are sailing on the Jewel this Feb with a 3 yr old and a 7 month old. It was so much fun the first few times we thought we would try it again now with 2 kiddies!!! Yicks...

Swim diapers do NOT take care of accidents (think poop teabags). The rules are placed there by the CDC, not the cruiselines. A small child or weak older person could die from ecoli poisoning caused by an accident. The swim diapers are probably sold for port stops.

The newer ships (Freedom Class, Oasis) have splash zones for the diapered crew that have separate filtration systems and no standing water.

We have sailed on a couple different cruise lines and RCI does not let kids swim in any of the pools including the kids pool if they are not fully potty trained no swim diapers allowed..(yet they sell them on the ship!!!)...i understand why but swim diapers are designed to help take care of any accidents. But rules are rules, i just wish i new before i sailed.

They do have kids programs where the parents and kids on the same age group get together in play groups...if was everymorning. When we went to our room there was a letter inviting my daughter to the play group.

Have a great cruise!! We are sailing on the Jewel this Feb with a 3 yr old and a 7 month old. It was so much fun the first few times we thought we would try it again now with 2 kiddies!!! Yicks...

I'd guess it's for parents who need them for shore excursions or at the beach and so forth.

Swim diapers are designed to hold in solid matter, that's it. Bacteria and other pathogens in the poop (and yes, we all have them) cannot be contained by a swim diaper, so they circulate right into the pool. On land, many large public pools allow children in swim diapers because (1) they are very large and the volume of water helps dilute the contaminents and (2) they are uber chlorinated/chemically treated. Neither of those is possible on a cruise ship, so the CDC has regulations banning the use of swim diapers in cruise ship pools except where very strict requirements, including a completely separate and specialized filtration system, are met.

I have to mention that my mother attends an aqua fitness class at a local college therapy (warm water) pool. It's about eight times the size of the largest ship pool I've seen. There are "parent and baby" water classes, as well as summer swim lessons, at other times. Last summer, the pool had to be closed on about 20 separate days--for 24 hours each time--because a swim diaper leaked or a parent allowed their not quite trained toddler into the pool. Twice it was because unsupervised children intentionally pooped in the pool while their clueless parents were not watching them.

Every year, we here about how, for example, 250 people were sickened and some hospitalized because of a contaminated pool or water slide facility. And that is with a large volume of water and intense filtrations. (The example I used happened locally 2 years ago; last year there was a smaller outbreak of something else in a water slide park a few counties over.)

beachchick

Has anyone cruised with an 18month on Majesty of the seas? Just wondering if there are kids pools and activities for him.

Thanks.

There is a daily play group(about 45 mins.) for children 18 months to 36 months called Aquatots. It is held in one of the lounges and the child must be accompanied by an adult caregiver. There are a bunch of Fischer-Price toys and one member of the kids program staff. I believe there is also a program in place where you can "borrow" some toys to take to your cabin.

We cruised a couple of years ago on Majestywith our 23 month old GD and she was with us pretty much 24/7. There is not a lot of stuff for the under 3 set. The Adventure Ocean for those 3 and older(and totally potty-trained) is wonderful. Our 5 yr. old GS LOVED it. We could not drag him away from it !!

Until a child is 3 and fully potty-trained, there's not alot for them on the ship.

You're right that there's not a lot (or any) swimming for them, but there is a play program every morning for babies/toddlers plus parents. Plus, the ship is new and big and exciting.

I am speaking for my 2.5 year old who just had the week of his life on the Serenade and cried profusely when we had to get off, saying "I don't want to go home; I want to stay on the boat!" I think he was just putting words to what all of us felt ;).

He loved riding in the elevators the most (and yes, we made sure he only pushed one button ;)). He also did very well in the MDR each evening and enjoyed playing "rabbit hole" (hiding under the table/tablecloth, then reappearing with a huge grin). He loved putt putt golf too, though I doubt he'll be winning any tournaments soon. Overall, he just loved being in a new place, seeing new things, and having constant attention from Mommy, Daddy, Grammy, and the entire wonderful crew :).

Your kid may be different, but ours loved the cruise and I'm so glad we took him!

Archived