OSLO Must sees

Mardonna

For you vetern cruisers....I am moving on to other ports for our June sailing.....

We will be Disney magic 4 kids under 9 and 3 adults......the Disney Shorex they are offering always seem to leave something out.....what are the must sees? They have a great excursions to Peinsula....with all that stuff.....and then I could also fir one in of the city highlights but then would miss Nobel.....so perpelxed...thought about doing on our own with buses or hoho but feel like we should really be "guided " per se with kids and such......

HELP!!!!

You will be hearing from me on other ports as they days progress....

Hi Mardonna,

With two exceptions we tackled all of the Baltic ports on our own as the shore excursions never covered exactly what our family wanted to see and were far more costly than it was going to be to see them on our own. The two exceptions were St. Petersberg where we had a 2 day private tour with Anastasia and Gdansk where we took a ship tour because we were were docked in Gdynia which was quite a distance from the city and I didn't want to risk missing the ship.

We had a short day (I think we were there from 8-2) in Oslo and it was the one day where we returned to the ship feeling disappointed that we hadn't seen enough of the city. We used the HOHO bus to get around to the places that we wanted to see. Our first stop was the Vigeland Sculpture park. We were only able to spend about 45 minutes but could easily have spent a couple of hours wandering. My daughters were fascinated by the sculptures.

From there we got back on the bus and headed to the Nobel Peace Centre. We spent probably an hour and a half there. My 12 year old daughter and my husband spent a fair bit of time perusing the exhibits. My 6 year old daughter and I went through the exhibits at a much quicker pace and spent time in the children's room learning about peace from a child's perspective. We felt that it was very important for our children to see the Peace Centre and it was definitely time well spent.

From there we wandered around town and to the Palace - it was very important to my 6 year old to see every possible palace. We walked back through Akershus Fortress where our ship was docked.

Oslo is a lovely city and, along with the Stockholm, is high on our list of places we would like to return to.

Lisa

The must-sees really depend on your interests. With kids, I would put the Norsk Folkemuseum and the Polar Ship Fram Museum near the top of the list. Also, the Nobel Peace Center has some cool interactive exhibits, including a "magic book" that explains a little of Nobel's history.

My top picks overall:

• Norsk Folkemuseum - Open-air museum with historic buildings from around Norway. Lots of old houses and cabins that can be explored. Demonstrations of traditional crafts and cooking. (Bygdøy Peninsula)
  • Vigelands Sculpture Park - The central area of Frogner Park contains a large collection of sculptures by Gustav Vigeland. The sculptures are predominantly human forms (nudes) celebrating all walks of life from childhood to old age. (northeast of central Oslo, Tram 12)
  • Polar Ship Fram - Museum housing the Fram polar exploration ship. Visitors can explore inside the ship itself, and there are exhibits about arctic and Antarctic expeditions along the walls. (Bygdøy Peninsula)
  • Viking Ship House - This is on a lot of people's must-see list. The building was designed to house the iconic Viking burial ships along with a few artifacts from the archaeological sites. (Bygdøy Peninsula)
  • Kon Tiki Museum - This museum dedicated to the explorations of Thor Heyerdahl is best received by those who are interested in the subject matter. I've really enjoyed it, but other visitors complain that although it shows the basic rafts Heyerdahl used in his trips, the museum as a whole contains too much reading for a long museum day. If you have the Oslo Pass to visit the above three Bygdøy museums, it might be worth stopping in for a quick look. (Bygdøy Peninsula)
  • National Gallery - Seeing Munch's The Scream is on a lot of people's Oslo list, and the National Gallery's free admission and central location makes that easy to do. Although there are signs pointing the way directly to Munch's work, there is also an extensive collection of Norwegian artists and a few pieces by the big names of Europe (Monet, Degas, Picasso, etc). (central Oslo)
  • Nobel Peace Center - The high-tech interactive displays at the Nobel Peace Center are interesting in their own right, but the center tries its best to educate people on all of the laureates through their "garden" of winners and a computerized wall display with details of their work. (near the cruise pier)
  • Oslo Rådhus - I personally don't understand the must-see appeal of Oslo's city hall, but the murals painted in each of the rooms are indeed interesting. It's also extremely close to the cruise pier, making it an easy thing to squeeze in if you have some extra time on the way back to the ship. (near the cruise pier)

Normally, Holmenkollen Ski Jump would probably also be on my list, but it's still under construction. Although I've heard reports that it is supposed to reopen in time for the tail-end of this winter's season, it's not certain. Last year the jump was completely closed, but cruise companies still included it on tours (there was a center outlining plans for the new jump that people could visit instead). I'm not sure if the new jump will be open to visitor's this summer or not.

As for needing a guide, it really isn't necessary in Oslo at all. The public transportation is easy to use, and the OsloPass is a simple way to pay for museum admissions and transit in one go. And if you don't want to deal with transit, the HOHO bus covers all of the major sights.

yeah 1 DCL tour deos the peninsula part, viking museum, fram, and stuff like that and another tour does the city stuff.....

do you think if we did hoho we would no what to see once we got into ports....I guess I could book with DCL and as it gets closer I can decide whether to purchase oslo card in advance or do tours......

For you vetern cruisers....I am moving on to other ports for our June sailing..... We will be Disney magic 4 kids under 9 and 3 adults......the Disney Shorex they are offering always seem to leave something out.....what are the must sees? They have a great excursions to Peinsula....with all that stuff.....and then I could also fir one in of the city highlights but then would miss Nobel.....so perpelxed...thought about doing on our own with buses or hoho but feel like we should really be "guided " per se with kids and such......HELP!!!! You will be hearing from me on other ports as they days progress....

You have gotten lots of the basic options already suggested. You can't see it all. Don't worry about one tour leaving something out!!! My sense is that you either do the "arts direction" by going to Vigeland Park and/or the "folk art museum" path with the nearby old ships. In the main downtown, the City Hall, shopping area, old fortress, etc. are all fairly close together.

Before you post on your next port, TELL US MORE, about your budget flexibility, where your are from, what the four kids and three kids like to do, your travel style, things you seek to avoid, past Europe travel experiences, etc. With more detailed information from you, we can make better, more specific suggestions on what best fits your needs and personal interests. Below are some visuals examples on what you can see and enjoy in Oslo. I also suggest using the "search function" on these boards on the other cities to help you get more info and ask more targeted questions.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Vigeland Park has a wide variety of wonderful outdoor sculptures in a wonderful setting:

1A-Oslo-VigelandParkFount.jpg

1A-Oslo-VigParkStat5.jpg

Nice Oslo park, water feature in the heart of the shopping area:

ParkKids.jpg

Oslo’s City Hall exterior and interior. The Nobel Peace Prize is awarded here annually:

1A-Oslo-CityHallExt.jpg

1A-Oslo-CityHallInterior.jpg

The main, historic fortress where many cruise ships dock in Oslo:

1A-Oslo-Harbor-OldFortress.jpg

Thanks.....

My husband and I have toured Europe before....once with A & K.....5 star first class the whole way, and the 2nd time with our kids on the Disney TA crossing.....both were fantastic in different ways.....

this trip will be my husband and I and the 4 kids.....but also a close family friend traveling alone who has traveled extesively through Europe but not through this part.....I can't really worry about what his wants will be in each port because he has the option of doing anything alone.....just trying to find the balance of seeing things that my kids will enjoy and are highlights of each of our port city...we have a budget but iit is padded very well and I don't want to cut corners enough to sacrifice what will make the trip more enjoyable for everyone.

the remainng ports after Stp (we have a private tour booked) Berlin (another private tour) we have Stockholm, Oslo, tallin, copenhagen ports to still figure out.....we still have plenty of time and Pre booking for our cruise begins feb 22 and that may help as well sinnce we will have an idea what tours can be booked backk to back....

Thanks for your help.

Your photos are fantasic by the way....makes me excited to go.

Thanks..... My husband and I have toured Europe before....once with A & K.....5 star first class the whole way, and the 2nd time with our kids on the Disney TA crossing.....both were fantastic in different ways..... this trip will be my husband and I and the 4 kids.....but also a close family friend traveling alone who has traveled extesively through Europe but not through this part.....I can't really worry about what his wants will be in each port because he has the option of doing anything alone.....just trying to find the balance of seeing things that my kids will enjoy and are highlights of each of our port city...we have a budget but it is padded very well and I don't want to cut corners enough to sacrifice what will make the trip more enjoyable for everyone. the remainng ports after Stp (we have a private tour booked) Berlin (another private tour) we have Stockholm, Oslo, tallin, copenhagen ports to still figure out.....we still have plenty of time and Pre booking for our cruise begins feb 22 and that may help as well sinnce we will have an idea what tours can be booked backk to back.... Thanks for your help. Your photos are fantasic by the way....makes me excited to go.

THANKS, Mardonna, for the nice comments on the pictures and the great added background information! Clearly with your past travel experiences and a flexible budget, it sounds like you are on the right track. You are planning and thinking ahead, which is 90% of the challenge. Another key is being flexible. We had great weather (as you see by the pictures) and hopefully yours will be good to great, also. BUT, as you plan and think, you need to have options to be ready to shift to, if needed, should the weather end up crappy. Vigeland Park is a very interesting setting and can be done in a fairly time-efficient "walk through", but it is not as important if it is pouring rain.

Looking forward to sharing more and answering questions on Stockholm, Tallinn and Copenhagen. Lots of nice things there. Very charming places there!!! Below are a few more visuals from Oslo. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Oslo’s new Opera House just open right on the waterfront:

1A-Oslo-NewOpera.jpg

Two more visual samples from charming Vigeland Park:

1A-Oslo-VigParkStat6.jpg

1A-Oslo-VigParkStat8.jpg

This is the museum for the Nobel Peace Prize that is located on the harbor near City Hall:

1A-Oslo-NobelMusPeach.jpg

Inside the National Gallery, here is one of Munch's famed "Scream" pictures and other art:

1A-Oslo-NatGalMunch.jpg

At the Munch Museum, this is a sampling of this famed artist:

1A-Oslo-MunchArt.jpg

The sculpture park looks amamzing....and my kids will love it.....they loved the gaudi stuff in barcelona....

the viking stuff on the peinsula is my other draw for kids as well as Nobel peace center....

I will just keep reseraching....my insight books should arrive this week,,,whch should also help me.

The sculpture park looks amamzing....and my kids will love it.....they loved the gaudi stuff in barcelona....

the viking stuff on the peinsula is my other draw for kids as well as Nobel peace center....

I will just keep reseraching....my insight books should arrive this week,,,whch should also help me.

GREAT NEWS! Glad to hear that the Vigeland Park sculpture would be of interest to your daughters. Below are a few more visual samples from that park to help get you and them excited about visiting this very nice area in Oslo. The park is three km northwest of the city center and covers 80 acres. It features 212 bronze and granite sculptures created by Gustav Vigeland. Vigeland personally sculpted every figure out of clay and individual craftsmen fabricate the pieces into what they are today. These works of art reside along an 850 meter axis divided into six sections: Main Gate, Bridge, Children’s Playground, Fountain, Monolith Plateau and Wheel of Life.

I looked through the Insight book for Norway and was impressed in their visuals and details for all along the western coast. Keep doing your planning and researching. You're making great progress.

More visuals showing the wide range of art by Vigeland at the large park named for him in Oslo:

1A-Oslo-VigelandPk.jpg

OslVigPdKids.jpg

OslVigPkIronGate.jpg

OslVigPkMother.jpg

OslVigPkSunDial.jpg

OslVigPkWaterScul.jpg

• 2 months later...

We are on the DCL in June. We are a family of 4 with 2 kids ages 9 and 11. Here is my plan for Olso so far. I am going to get the Olso Pass. Our ship docks at 8:30am @ Sondre Akershuskai. Take the Tram to Vigelands park 1st. Then head over to Bygdoy and see the 4 museums there. I really want to go to the Folk Musemum here because I will not be able to go to the one in Stockholm because our port time was shortened. Take the ferry back to the ship and if we still have time go to the Nobel Peace Center and Akershus Castle. Does this sound doable? Thanks for all of your help.

Carol

We are on the DCL in June. We are a family of 4 with 2 kids ages 9 and 11. Here is my plan for Olso so far. I am going to get the Olso Pass. Our ship docks at 8:30am @ Sondre Akershuskai. Take the Tram to Vigelands park 1st. Then head over to Bygdoy and see the 4 museums there. I really want to go to the Folk Musemum here because I will not be able to go to the one in Stockholm because our port time was shortened. Take the ferry back to the ship and if we still have time go to the Nobel Peace Center and Akershus Castle. Does this sound doable? Thanks for all of your help.

Carol

You're trying to do lots with four people during a short period of time. Oslo is a fairly compact and very nice city. Maybe it will "ALL" work. Maybe you want to slow down and enjoy some of their nice downtown, harbor, etc., places, too. Docking at 8:30 am doesn't mean you will get off of the ship at 8:31 am. Be flexible. As you connect with the various forms of public transportation, there are some delays, waits, etc. The weather could impact your schedule and/or your schedule priorities. I assume you are docking right at the main castle (Akershus Fortress), right? That's a great and handy location. Be ready to "adjust" and still be able to enjoy this charming city. Be up on deck to see the sights as you sail in and sail out. Below is a sailing out picture from Oslo's harbor. Lot to enjoy there.

Sailing out from Oslo:

1A-Oslo-SailingOut.jpg

You're trying to do lots with four people during a short period of time. Oslo is a fairly compact and very nice city. Maybe it will "ALL" work. Maybe you want to slow down and enjoy some of their nice downtown, harbor, etc., places, too. Docking at 8:30 am doesn't mean you will get off of the ship at 8:31 am. Be flexible. As you connect with the various forms of public transportation, there are some delays, waits, etc. The weather could impact your schedule and/or your schedule priorities. I assume you are docking right at the main castle (Akershus Fortress), right? That's a great and handy location. Be ready to "adjust" and still be able to enjoy this charming city. Be up on deck to see the sights as you sail in and sail out. Below is a sailing out picture from Oslo's harbor. Lot to enjoy there.

Hi Terry - Thanks for your advice. I do plan to be flexible. And if we do not see something that will be okay. I have enjoyed reading your advice and looking at your pictures from the Baltics. I even have some of your advice bookmarked especially about taking pictures.

Carol

[/color][/font][/size]Hi Terry - Thanks for your advice. I do plan to be flexible. And if we do not see something that will be okay. I have enjoyed reading your advice and looking at your pictures from the Baltics. I even have some of your advice bookmarked especially about taking pictures. Carol

THANKS, Carol, for the super nice comments on the pictures, etc.! Much appreciated. I'm glad to hear you are preparing and trying to do "lots", but are being realistic and reasonable about it. That's a great approach. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. As you could tell from our pictures, we had a wonderful weather days in Oslo and most of the stops in southern England and the Baltics during our 2008 trip. Good luck on your weather and trip. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Oslo is a great city to visit. So much to see and do, it is not possible to see it all in one day. We on our visit made up our own tour with a list of what we thought we must do and a list of things we would like to do if the time presented itself. We used Rick Steves and various web sites to pull it all together. We made a budget for each city we visited and compared what we wanted to see and the cost to the city passes that were available. We were usually within an a dollar or two of the city passes so we never purchased one. I personally loved the Viking Ship Musuem. It was first on my list of must visits in Oslo. My very patient wife had to drag me out of it.

The only port in which we used a guide was St. Petersburg. Used SPB which was great and I highly recommend. They were very accommandating and change the tour on the fly at the groups request.

Archived