Underwater Camera?

barberesr

Many of the manufacterers have recently announced upgrades to their underwater offerings (Olympus 3 new models, panasonic, and fuji one each). In addition Casio has just entered this market segment and there are rumors that Sony will offer a underwater model later this month. About the only one NOT to annouce something new/upgraded is Canon, so I am wondering when they will be announcing a new model to follow up on the D10 which was originally announced on Feb 19 of 2009 (which makes it an old model). Perhaps a new model soon from Canon.

How often are you going to use an underwater camera?? The disposable ones you can buy are great for kids and non-professionals. Be sure to buy a name brand though. I used to work in a photo lab and we got a lot of cheapies that did not seal properly-- lost pictures and unhappy kids. Ask to get the camera back, it makes a great addition to a toy box.

How often are you going to use an underwater camera?? The disposable ones you can buy are great for kids and non-professionals. Be sure to buy a name brand though. I used to work in a photo lab and we got a lot of cheapies that did not seal properly-- lost pictures and unhappy kids. Ask to get the camera back, it makes a great addition to a toy box.

I disagree. The disposable underwater cameras have two distinct drawbacks.

First, you are limited in the number of pictures you can take (24 or 36 exposures) and you can not review the picture after it is taken. The film has to be developed which is not exactly cheap. Over the last 5 years, I have spent more money in disposable cameras and film developing than I would have spent on a underwater digital camera, plus I would have a lot more pictures to show for it.

Second a digital camera that has underwater capabilities is not limited to just underwater use.

i disagree. The disposable underwater cameras have two distinct drawbacks.

First, you are limited in the number of pictures you can take (24 or 36 exposures) and you can not review the picture after it is taken. The film has to be developed which is not exactly cheap. Over the last 5 years, i have spent more money in disposable cameras and film developing than i would have spent on a underwater digital camera, plus i would have a lot more pictures to show for it.

Second a digital camera that has underwater capabilities is not limited to just underwater use.

ditto!!!

I want good pictures of the fish I see on my snorkeling excursions and a disposable just doesn't come close. And I have tried several bands, several times. Besides, the cost of an underwater capable digital pales in comparison to the cost of getting the shots ;). After spending several thousand dollars to put myself in a position to snap pictures of gorgeous reef fish, why settle for using a $15 camera?

I disagree. The disposable underwater cameras have two distinct drawbacks.

First, you are limited in the number of pictures you can take (24 or 36 exposures) and you can not review the picture after it is taken. The film has to be developed which is not exactly cheap. Over the last 5 years, I have spent more money in disposable cameras and film developing than I would have spent on a underwater digital camera, plus I would have a lot more pictures to show for it.

I agree. Disposable cameras usually deliver disposable photos.

I am going to start looking at an underwater digitals for our cruise in april. I do have a nice 10 mp samsung point and shoot. (a couple of yrs old). I will probably wait another month and see how much last years models are since the new ones are coming out.

My main question is would it be worth it to even buy one if we are not going on a snorkling excursion, but just plan on snorkling on our own. We will probably be snorkling in Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, and St. Johns/St. Thomas.

We were in Jamaica at a sandals resort in Aug. of '08 and still have not got my disposable underwater camera developed. Trying to avoid this again if a camera is worth it.

. . .

My main question is would it be worth it to even buy one if we are not going on a snorkling excursion, but just plan on snorkling on our own. We will probably be snorkling in Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, and St. Johns/St. Thomas.

We were in Jamaica at a sandals resort in Aug. of '08 and still have not got my disposable underwater camera developed. Trying to avoid this again if a camera is worth it.

Not sure about the beach snorkeling in Grand Turk. Beach snorkeling in HMC was not good when I was there. Coki beach in St Thomas is decent as is Trunk Bay in St John.

Where were you in Jamaica and how was the snorkeling?

Not sure about the beach snorkeling in Grand Turk. Beach snorkeling in HMC was not good when I was there. Coki beach in St Thomas is decent as is Trunk Bay in St John.

Where were you in Jamaica and how was the snorkeling?

My first snorkeling experience was at Grand Turk. I thought it was great. There's a beach to the left as you get off the pier, and snorkeling right up close to the pier is great, lots of fish to see.

I will be taking a day sail snorkeling trip with Island Girl sailing Yacht in St Thomas/St John. On these boards, navigate to " ports of call " then click on "Caribbean" and schroll down to St. Thomas/St John. go to page 9 or more and find a post by "TheStaples" and click on the link to his facebook pictures of his snorkel trip on the same yacht. You'll really get excited. I found it on page 9 two days ago so it's probably past that now. It's really something to see.

My first snorkeling experience was at Grand Turk. I thought it was great. There's a beach to the left as you get off the pier, and snorkeling right up close to the pier is great, lots of fish to see.

I will be taking a day sail snorkeling trip with Island Girl sailing Yacht in St Thomas/St John. On these boards, navigate to " ports of call " then click on "Caribbean" and schroll down to St. Thomas/St John. go to page 9 or more and find a post by "TheStaples" and click on the link to his facebook pictures of his snorkel trip on the same yacht. You'll really get excited. I found it on page 9 two days ago so it's probably past that now. It's really something to see.

My nephew took an excursion at Grand Turk and said it was the "best ever". Glad to hear that the snorkeling off the beach is also good. Sadly, I wasn't able to go in the water that day but I do recall watching the fish as I walked along the pier.

I couldn't find the post you mentioned. Nor could I find the poster in the Member List.

My nephew took an excursion at Grand Turk and said it was the "best ever". Glad to hear that the snorkeling off the beach is also good. Sadly, I wasn't able to go in the water that day but I do recall watching the fish as I walked along the pier.

I couldn't find the post you mentioned. Nor could I find the poster in the Member List.

Hi broberts, I'm sorry for giving you miss-information. The thread is " snorkeling with Island Girl dec 8". Then you can find "TheStaples'' post and there link in facebook. It's worth hunting for. I just quoted to it so it's now on page one at ports of call " St Thomas/St johns" under that thread. Good luck you'll enjoy seeing that.

I am going to start looking at an underwater digitals for our cruise in april. I do have a nice 10 mp samsung point and shoot. (a couple of yrs old). I will probably wait another month and see how much last years models are since the new ones are coming out.

I tend to go on lots of adventurous trips with my family. Living in California, I've actually had the pleasure of going to the beach one day, and to the snow the next.

In addition to being waterproof, many of these cameras are also freeze resistant, shock resistant, and seal out sand and dust as well.

Even if you are not planning on taking a bunch of underwater shots...an all weather camera can also be extremely useful in a variety of other settings, including the normal "point and shoot settings".

One of the main shortcomings of such cameras, is that many lack the optical zoom of their counterparts. This doesn't bother me too much however, because when it comes to zoom, I haven't really been all that happy with regular point and shoot cameras either.

Archived