What to wear

sophiethd

We will be on GEM leaving from NYC... I realize that when we leave it will definitely not be warm however the next morning, will we be able to wear shorts ?

What do people mostly wear during the day, shorts or capris ?

I'm really at a lost for packing for the Cruise, i'm usually going to an all-inclusive South Resort where you wear swimsuit pretty well all day.

Help!

We will be on GEM leaving from NYC... I realize that when we leave it will definitely not be warm however the next morning, will we be able to wear shorts ?

I'm really at a lost for packing for the Cruise, i'm usually going to an all-inclusive South Resort where you wear swimsuit pretty well all day.

Help!

I am thinking that you will be,on the first sea day, somewhere off the coast of the Carolinas, and it will still be cold. I live in Charleston South Carolina and it was a high of 45 today.

From the NCL Website "FAQs"

What Should I Pack?

To give you an idea of what to toss into your suitcase, we've got answers to some of your questions like:

Can I wear something casual to dinner? Do people dress up at night? Can I wear my swimsuit day and night?

The answer to all the above is "yes" - with Freestyle Cruising, you're pretty much welcome to wear whatever, whenever. Our philosophy is "resort casual" and with the widest range of dining venues, tons of entertainment options and bars & lounges, you'll find there are places for your style all over our ships, day and night.

Daytime, it's basically all fine since we know you're probably headed to the pool or out for a fun Shore Excursion. Casual shorts, jeans, tops and sundresses are welcome everywhere. You can even wear your swimsuit to the poolside grill or the buffet.

Resort casual dress gets you into every venue at night too. Some people like to add a jacket, or when celebrating a special occasion, get all decked out. This too is welcome everywhere. And if you're tired from a long fun day and just want to wear shorts; our buffet is the place for a casual dinner. Some people prefer nice jeans. They're welcome in many of our restaurants as well, but not in all. It's your vacation on NCL so dress comfortably, and you'll find a venue that suits your style.

Since all suitcases are collected the night before we return home, don't forget to bring an overnight bag packed with a change of clothes, prescriptions and need-to-have items. Thanks to Freestyle Disembarkation, you'll have time on your final morning on board for breakfast and some last minute sunbathing or even a workout.

------------

Shorts are fine except at night in the restaurants (OK in Buffet and Blue Lagoon) ...although that can depend on the ship and restaurant staff at the time. Capris seem to be fine at dinner anywhere.

If you are comfortable in shorts in 65-70 degree weather, then wear them if you prefer except at dinner.

I don't know if this will help because you leave later than I did, but I was on the Gem 1/3. I wish I had brought more long pants. We really had cold weather and it wasn't until day 3 when it started to warm up. The last 21/2 days were also a little cold so I say pack equal amount of shorts or capris with sweaters and a tank or such. It really doesn't matter though because as long as you have sweaters your good. I just wish I had brought more capri's. Plus the country was in a deep freeze that was when Fla had 25degree weather. You should be good, have fun

Help!

We are leaving Feb 13th and we are bringing capris, short sleeved shirts and sweaters. Think layers.

Since you are coming from Canada, I would think 40's, 50's and 60's would be pretty mild weather for you.

I have cruised over the coldest winter days and you will always see people in the hot tubs and sometimes in the pool.

I also like to take a nice velour sweat suit with me for daytime lounging.

Have fun!!

Dawn

In 2008 i basically sailed the same week you are going to be sailing. It really depends how you handle the cold. On day 2 it was around 60 degrees and the pools were packed. My FIL and I on the other hand were in jeans and pullovers, but it was nice enough to hang outside. It didn't turn into shorts weather until we hit Florida on Monday/Day 3.

Help!

Day time capris once you get to warmth bathing suit cover ups and short/capris/ sundresses all work. As for evening; cocktail dress unless you do the formal thing. Most NCL crusier's I have seem (NCL 5 crusies) dress up casual some get into the formal nights thing and even I have seen jeans in the dining room although I don't think they belong (dining room or speciality rest.) but hey if I want fancy I will crusie Princess or Celebirty, that being said; resort wear is cruise wear!

Archived