Help! Tour not offered!

BroncosFan2010

I just found out that the Silvermoon Cats tour that DH and myself were going to do is not offered on the day we will be in Barbados. I am now looking for something else to take its place. We are a young couple in our mid-20's and we are cruising in August. The last time we were in Barbados we did the ZipLine. We are active and adventurous. We would probably like to do a private tour that is 4-5 hours and involves snorkeling and swimming with the sea turtles.

Do you have any suggestions for us?

As nobody has answered, may I suggest you browse the posts, there has been quite a bit of discussion on what to do.

I have read many of the posts here and have contacted Shasa cruises in hopes of securing a reservation. I was hoping to get some recent feedback and perhaps a few reviews to help me make my decision.

We just did an island tour of Barbados. We are a married couple in mid twenties. We booked our tour through scenic Barbados tour and we had a car with a driver for just the two of us. It was excellent. we could go wherever we wanted. We went to St Lawrence gap, a beautiful bay with cosy surroundings. Then we were taken to another beach besides Hilton hotel. He then took us to Oystin’s bay where we fed the turtles with fish. We then went to Crane beach which is full of pink sand. Then we went to Bathsheba where we saw some rock formations, people surfing in the Atlantic waters and then had some tender coconut water. We drove through the banana and sugarcane fields and reached St John’s church look out point for beautiful views. We were then taken to Paynes beach where we took a catamaran to do the snorkelling and swimming with turtles. Again We were the only two in the catamaran . We did snorkelling and saw turtles, sting ray and various fishes. After 45 minutes snorkelling we returned to Paynes beach and spent an hour relaxing on the beach. Before going back to the ship, we went through Bridgetown and even stopped at the Kensington oval cricket ground. All this for 70 dollars each incuding tips! Hope this helps!

OOps.. the name of the driver is Marson (a local Barbadian with excellent knowledge.. unfortunately he does not have his own website, but you may get him via Edwin Lowel (scenicbarbadostours.net)

We just did an island tour of Barbados. We are a married couple in mid twenties. We booked our tour through scenic Barbados tour and we had a car with a driver for just the two of us. It was excellent. we could go wherever we wanted. We went to St Lawrence gap, a beautiful bay with cosy surroundings. Then we were taken to another beach besides Hilton hotel. He then took us to Oystin’s bay where we fed the turtles with fish. We then went to Crane beach which is full of pink sand. Then we went to Bathsheba where we saw some rock formations, people surfing in the Atlantic waters and then had some tender coconut water. We drove through the banana and sugarcane fields and reached St John’s church look out point for beautiful views. We were then taken to Paynes beach where we took a catamaran to do the snorkelling and swimming with turtles. Again We were the only two in the catamaran . We did snorkelling and saw turtles, sting ray and various fishes. After 45 minutes snorkelling we returned to Paynes beach and spent an hour relaxing on the beach. Before going back to the ship, we went through Bridgetown and even stopped at the Kensington oval cricket ground. All this for 70 dollars each incuding tips! Hope this helps!

OOps.. the name of the driver is Marson (a local Barbadian with excellent knowledge.. unfortunately he does not have his own website, but you may get him via Edwin Lowel (scenicbarbadostours.net)

This sounds like an awesome deal for the price, however, DH and I are not much for island tours. I am hoping that the Shasa tours will turn out to be great. The beaches you saw sound amazing, especially the one with the pink sand.

We have done Silvermoon in the past and loved it but it was booked for our cruise in May, so we have booked with Calabaza tours which sounds similiar to Silvermoon because they sail with only 12 passengers and serve drinks and lunch and also do the stops with the turtles and the shipwreck.

we have done the Heatwave twice and have always been satisfied, they have always found turtles and flying fish, although these are said to be getting scarce around Barbados due to over fishing, watch out for Portugese Men of War when you are in the water, very nasty!!

We have also used the glass bottomed boats off Paynes Bay for shorter ( and cheaper) trips.

The Atlantis submarine offers a very good trip, diving on the reef, cost is about $100US, but worth it for a once in a lifetime experience.

That is provided you want to do a tour.... Barbados is one of the safest and easiest islands to DIY. As you said you are young and adventurous (like us).

We went everywhere on the local bus in Barbados. The bus system is great, busses are cheap and plentiful and there is a busstation between the port and town where they are very helpful. We took a small guidebook with a small map, saw everything on our own and had a great day. We visited one of the best known caves called Animal Flower Cave (they provided a super local guide included in the entrance fee). There is a lovely sandy beach with a small beach restaurant there. I honestly don't know where you can swim with turtles, but you could probably DIY that too. Nowadays you can find everything on the internet. BTW: People are really chatty and helpful everywhere on Barbados. Take small dollar bills, as bus drivers normally don't have a lot of change.

Maybe it is not for you or not what you are looking for, it is just a suggestion considering your age, and the fact that you mention you are in for a bit of an adventure. We always see tour groups in the same places we visit, but we use local means of transportation interacting with the locals. The difference is that people on a tour spend maybe $100 and we only spent $5. That leaves us $95 for the souvenirs and the great local lunch...

That is provided you want to do a tour.... Barbados is one of the safest and easiest islands to DIY. As you said you are young and adventurous (like us).

We went everywhere on the local bus in Barbados. The bus system is great, busses are cheap and plentiful and there is a busstation between the port and town where they are very helpful. We took a small guidebook with a small map, saw everything on our own and had a great day. We visited one of the best known caves called Animal Flower Cave (they provided a super local guide included in the entrance fee). There is a lovely sandy beach with a small beach restaurant there. I honestly don't know where you can swim with turtles, but you could probably DIY that too. Nowadays you can find everything on the internet. BTW: People are really chatty and helpful everywhere on Barbados. Take small dollar bills, as bus drivers normally don't have a lot of change.

Maybe it is not for you or not what you are looking for, it is just a suggestion considering your age, and the fact that you mention you are in for a bit of an adventure. We always see tour groups in the same places we visit, but we use local means of transportation interacting with the locals. The difference is that people on a tour spend maybe $100 and we only spent $5. That leaves us $95 for the souvenirs and the great local lunch...

Thanks for the advice about bringing the small bills.

Archived