Does back of ship cabins make you seasick?

gdpups

I disagree. There is WAAAY more motion on higher decks than lower ones. I think it's more important to pick a lower deck (AFT or MID). I would also stay away from the bow of the ship, which moves a LOT.

If you are prone to motion sickness, stay as low as you can. Many cruise lines like NCL's Pearl put the suites on the 14th deck :eek:. Princess has suites on the AFT but also in lower decks. Look on your ship and find the nicest room that is lowest down IMHO. Remember dining rooms are always in the first 2-3 decks in the back for a reason. :)

Katherine

I get seasick, but I wear a patch on cruises or I will get sick. I just had my first aft cabin on a Mexician Riveria Cruise. It was the choppest cruise I have ever been on due to the bad weather in California. If I had not had the batch on I would have been very sick. It's really worth it to be in the back. Very quite - less traffic. I always feel vibration when I'm on a ship. It was not more so in the back. I also take a white noise machine when I travel, so I slept like a baby and did not hear the extra engine noise so many people talk about. It will be very hard for me to cruise in other than an aft cabin now that I have tried it. I have already book my next cruise for Jan 2011 and guess what - I have a corner aft cabin.

I have a cabin booked on the back of the Serenade and now have been told the vibration of the back of the ship can make someone seasick? Do I need to change cabins??? My husband was really looking forward to this cabins, but he can get seasick.

We've had aft cabins and never noticed any movement. After many cruises, the only time I got seasick was the last time when we had a mid-ship cabin on the hump. :o:confused:

Hi Do you think you could tell me what number cabin you had on

Rhapsody as we have booked our first JS aft for October and just want to be sure. I get seasick, but have never been sick on Rhapsody

Thanks

It was 8588, aft wrap around. Great Jr. Suite, great balcony just too much vibration for my taste. We knew crossing the Tasman Sea would likely be rough most of the time, it was smooth going out but rough coming back. I was prepared for the seasickness......not the vibration!!!

Lynda

It was 8588, aft wrap around. Great Jr. Suite, great balcony just too much vibration for my taste. We knew crossing the Tasman Sea would likely be rough most of the time, it was smooth going out but rough coming back. I was prepared for the seasickness......not the vibration!!!

Lynda

Hi Lynda,

Thanks for the info. We have 8088 aft wrap around. So now not sure. Have had two previous JS on Rhapsody, one with absolutely no problems and the second, well, I know exactly what you mean by the vibration. We were not prepared. We might just go back to our original JS. I was looking forward to an Aft but the balconies are a great size anyway and if I can avoid unneccessary vibration I will. Cheryle

*Aft cabins are not good at all.

*It takes you 10 minutes to walk to your room

*If you forget something it takes you twice as long to get to the pool.

*There normally are no kids running the aft halls so if you want to hear the kids stay toward the mid ship

*Sometimes you can feel the Propellers turning but you dont have to insert a quarter into the bed to get a good sleep

*At times you get smoke ashes from the ships funnels.

*You can never get enough chairs on the balcony. On my one cruise I only had 7 chairs and 2 loungers. And still had plenty of room to move around.

*You cant see where you are going from the aft balcony. You can only see it after you have past it.

*If the ship backs into port..You are first to arrive. And the last to leave.

*Before your ship leaves you have a decent view of people staggering back to the ship.

*You can often hear the crew party below at night. (But IMHO they deserve to party)

*If its raining there is a good chance that you can still sit outside unless you are on the top deck. Not much overhang.

*You can look up and see who is eating in the Windjammer...

Honestly the higher the deck on the aft the better the view. The lower you go you get more super structure. But the Balconies are to die for. If you can nail a AFT DO IT but DO NOT Tell anyone you like it as those of us that do cant find them when we sail unless we book 2 years ahead.

m_d9c1dd89068f428aa4a7eeb7e033b6f0.jpgm_8b02afb8be7740f38aeb01550b46b033.jpg

This was a Junior Suite Balcony on the Enchantment

m_460fd7f61212486db60671e6613f4765.jpgm_18bebe3335824c1eae66362251d99180.jpg

This was on the Liberty. We were right next to the Presidential Suite

m_48afed9ca5c542fb903789876aefb6b2.jpgm_f9173bc8ee1a49f88dab7d22639dd1b8.jpg

Now this is the best Balcony. the Presidential Suite.

However notice the Superstructure. The higher you go less Steel

Hi Lynda,

Thanks for the info. We have 8088 aft wrap around. So now not sure. Have had two previous JS on Rhapsody, one with absolutely no problems and the second, well, I know exactly what you mean by the vibration. We were not prepared. We might just go back to our original JS. I was looking forward to an Aft but the balconies are a great size anyway and if I can avoid unneccessary vibration I will. Cheryle

We had cabin 8088 on the Rhapsody last year and I can say that it is the best JS I have ever stayed in. That balcony is huge!!

We only really noticed the vibration when we were arriving or leaving a port.

My advice - Definitely keep hold of 8088:)

We had cabin 8088 on the Rhapsody last year and I can say that it is the best JS I have ever stayed in. That balcony is huge!!

We only really noticed the vibration when we were arriving or leaving a port.

My advice - Definitely keep hold of 8088:)

Thanks all, we have definately decided to keep the Aft balcony. We let one go on the last cruise, but have decided we must at least try. Love the ideas of the long walks to and from EVERYTHING!! and no kids down our end running around, wow, all sounds too good to be true.

Cheryle:)

Archived