Anyone bring their own coffee?

ntengwall

I am not a huge coffee drinker but I enjoy my 1-2 cups of Dunkin Doughnuts coffee that I make in the mornings with my 2 cup french press. I have heard the coffee on the ships is made from syrup. Does anyone else bring their own coffee to make in their room? We're leaving from Bayonne NJ and driving there so it won't be a big deal for me to bring it...just wondering about how I will get boiling or near boiling water for my press. Thanks!

I'll sometimes take the Starbucks Via instant coffee with me and just find hot water in various locations on the ship. Failing that I believe the Starbucks and Seattle's Best coffee offered onboard the different ships (Oasis now offers Starbucks) are all brewed from grounds rather than syrup. The coffee is included in your cruise price but, if you want a specialty coffee (latte, cafe americano et....) it costs extra.

It would be FAR from boiling by the time it gets to you. I desperately missed my perfectly-made Maxwell House with my sugar free Hazelnut creamer...but for a week I survived. :) A french press would be quite easy to carry, but that boiling water thing could be an issue! :( (And make it more trouble than it's worth.)

I know it may be a forbidden item but if you look around on internet, you will find water warmers that fit into a cup so you can have your warm cuppa anywhere you are. :)

Mine is fitted to be used on the car (we usually end up in the middle of nowhere at teatime) but there are also ones to be used with a normal plug.

:)

We always do single serve drip filters which I was planning on packing and was thinking a plug in tea pot for hot water. Would this be allowed??

I bring my own electric moka espresso :) to have real italian coffee. Tea and coffee on ships not always meets individual tastes.

So does anyone know if on the Mariner they serve Seattles Best coffee using real grinds or is it syrup.

I think the syrup coffee is what is served in the Windjammer. I think the Seattle's Best coffee on Voyager class (incl. Mariner) and Freedom Glass uses real grounds.

We always do single serve drip filters which I was planning on packing and was thinking a plug in tea pot for hot water. Would this be allowed??

Does anyone know the answer to this question? All I could find on the RCI website is:

For the safely of our guests, the following items are not allowed onboard and will be confiscated upon being found: Electrical Transformers, Coffee Makers, Candles, Irons, Illegal Drugs, Flammable Liquids and Explosives, such as fireworks.

I also notice that steamers (clothing, not clams :p) are not listed, but I read somewhere on these boards that they are now prohibited (although I do always take a portable steamer...).

I too am one that must have her coffee in the mornings before leaving my room. I have struggled with the yucky coffee for several cruises until my last one in December. I now bring my instant coffee packets ( looks like tea packets) which I use 2 different brands Folgers and Maxwell House. I REALLY wish Dunkin Donuts made the Hazelnut in an instant form..... The trick about hot water is to request it from room service and then if it is not hot enough, my dearest, sweetest husband goes and fills the pot up with fresh hot water from the buffet! I will however request one of those little coffee pots from my room steward. The worst thing they can say is NO! We leave on Sunday on the Voyager of the Seas! eeeeee!

I have to have my coffee in the mornings so I use the Starbucks VIA when I travel. I believe room service on the Mariner does have Teas listed on the menu ~ so wallah :) there's the hot water. I also make sure to bring a baggie of Splenda and vanilla creamer.

We take the packs of Starbucks and packs of Hazelnut Tasters Choice with us. We order a large carafe of hot water from room service along with our pastries and watch the sun come up from our balcony, life couldn't be better! Oh, we get the 1/2 & 1/2 from the cafe promenade coffee shop.

• 2 weeks later...

We are on the Radiance on 2/22/2010. Normally when we travel we bring our own perculator, and COSTCO coffee. I am getting conflicting info on here. Is there a coffee maker in the junior suite on Radiance?

I too hated the coffee on our first cruise, but had no trouble with the coffee on Serenade. They are advertising it as "freshly brewed Seattle's Best coffee". And it didn't taste like it came from syrup. It was definitely drinkable (I drink Dunkin Donuts at home too). They do have Splenda available in the MDR and WJ.

We are on the Radiance on 2/22/2010. Normally when we travel we bring our own perculator, and COSTCO coffee. I am getting conflicting info on here. Is there a coffee maker in the junior suite on Radiance?

All I can tell you is there is supposed to be a coffee/tea service in ALL JS fleetwide. It's listed on the web site. If you don't have one I would go to the purser's desk and ask for one to be provided.

As of the middle of December 2009..............No. Only the electric tea kettle.

If you are on a Voyager or Freedom class ship, the Cafe Promenade has hot water for the tea and hot chocolate and yes it is HOT. It is right next to the coffee. Of course you need to get it by the cup but if you are just making one, you should be set!

I bring the Folgers "tea bags" that are coffee. Great flavor and tiny. I like to have something that I know I will like as a backup, and all I need is hot water. If I bring em and don't use them because available coffee is good, no problem, which I can't say for other stuff I bring "just in case" that takes more space and weighs more - those kinds of things make me feel guilty for bringing and not using!

I bring the Folgers "tea bags" that are coffee. Great flavor and tiny. I like to have something that I know I will like as a backup, and all I need is hot water. If I bring em and don't use them because available coffee is good, no problem, which I can't say for other stuff I bring "just in case" that takes more space and weighs more - those kinds of things make me feel guilty for bringing and not using!

I did this on our last cruise and they worked out great. So easy to pack.

I even brought one to dinner and then asked for a small pot of hot water (like what you get for tea). Our waiter was really impressed.

As of the middle of December 2009..............No. Only the electric tea kettle.

You know this is just not right! If they're going to put this stuff on the web site as a JS perk then why don't all ships have it by now? I think it was put up on the site as beginning 9/2009.

I would print out the perks for a JS and take it with me. Then insist on my coffee maker!

You know this is just not right! If they're going to put this stuff on the web site as a JS perk then why don't all ships have it by now? I think it was put up on the site as beginning 9/2009.

I would print out the perks for a JS and take it with me. Then insist on my coffee maker!

The new suite enhancements program actually started around March/April of 2009 because when we did our b2b on Radiance around South America in April we had the electric tea kettle but that was it. I just thought that being in a JS, we didn't warrant the 2 cup coffee maker and I didn't think a thing about it.

i bought a $10 small coffee maker years ago (Walgreens) and have taken it on every cruise. I like setting it the night before and pushing the button in the morning and presto....GOOD coffee out on the balcony! I've never had it taken out of my luggage and my room attendant said he always knew when we were up because he could smell the coffee. ;)

What about the room service coffee? Is that the Seattles best?

Just returned from the Voyager. Room service coffee was inconsistent. Some days "not too bad" and others undrinkable - no amount of creamer could help it. We switched to tea after that. Our relatives in next cabin experienced the same. I guess it depends on who makes the coffee that day...

Archived