Skagway to Emerald Lake -- how different than other scenery?

recker

Hi folks --

I've seen quite a few recommendations for renting a car in Skagway and driving as far as Emerald Lake.

I know that you will get different scenery by driving inland than what can be seen from the ship. My question is, will it be significantly different/more spectacular than the scenery driving from, say, Anchorage to Glennallen to Valdez?

We will have spent 9 days pre-cruise doing an independent land tour, and while I like the idea of getting out of Skagway, after two days on the ship, I suspect Mrs. recker and I might want something more active at this port (hike or kayak or both).

Is there anyone who has done this drive who could recommend it as a substantially different experience than driving in Alaska?

Hi folks --

I've seen quite a few recommendations for renting a car in Skagway and driving as far as Emerald Lake.

I know that you will get different scenery by driving inland than what can be seen from the ship. My question is, will it be significantly different/more spectacular than the scenery driving from, say, Anchorage to Glennallen to Valdez?

We will have spent 9 days pre-cruise doing an independent land tour, and while I like the idea of getting out of Skagway, after two days on the ship, I suspect Mrs. recker and I might want something more active at this port (hike or kayak or both).

Is there anyone who has done this drive who could recommend it as a substantially different experience than driving in Alaska?

I could be wrong, but I don't think that you can drive a rental car into Canada.

john

I could be wrong, but I don't think that you can drive a rental car into Canada.

You are most definitely wrong, MrGreen! Actually, as a Canadian YOU can't, but everyone else in world including the OP can.

The scenery on this road is unique - not better or worse than the other top mountain highways in the region, just unique.

I haven't done the trip yet, but am also looking at options. I've found that there are several tour operators offering horse back riding, kayaking, and hiking around some of the lakes on that rout, including Emerald lake. You might look into doing a combination of the drive and something more active. That's what we are trying to put together for our stop in Skagway.

I found this on the internet, hope it helps. I just take the Train/Bus up to Emerald Lake, it is a must see.

This 26-page, mile-by-mile guide (with 52 photos) will show you the points of interest along the South Klondike Highway and the Dyea Road. The South Klondike Highway runs 98 miles (157.7 km) from Skagway (Alaska) through Fraser (British Columbia) and Carcross (Yukon) to the Alaska Highway at a point 10 miles east of Whitehorse. Officially it is just the Klondike Highway, running 443 miles (713 km) from Skagway to Dawson City, but in practical use the highway sections north and south of Whitehorse are used separately. This 2-lane paved highway takes you through an amazing variety of scenery, from granite peaks to desert, with pristine lakes around every corner. It is truly a photographer's dream trip.

The vast majority of the people who have used this guide since it was first posted in 2003 have been cruise ship passengers who rent a car in Skagway to make the drive, so the guide runs from Skagway north. I recommend that a minimum of 5 hours be allowed for the trip from Skagway to Emerald Lake and back. For cruise ship passengers, I recommend Emerald Lake as the turn-around point so that they have time to see Skagway, and because the scenery north of Emerald Lake is nowhere near as dramatic as what has been seen to that point.

I found this on the internet, hope it helps. I just take the Train/Bus up to Emerald Lake, it is a must see.

This 26-page, mile-by-mile guide (with 52 photos) ...

LOL that is Murrays Guide, written by our very own Yukon who posted about two messages above yours! He is an experienced driver who lives in Whitehorse and drove tour buses over this route many times. His guide is indispensible for the drive. You can google it or get the link from my site below.

We just did a long cruise tour through most of interior Alaska. I do have to say that after that tour, the trip from Skagway to Emerald Lake is not going to show you any REALLY different scenery. It is extremely pretty, the mountains might be a bit more spectacular, the valley a bit more beautiful than what you will see on your tour -- but in all honestly I would think maybe in Skagway you want to do other things. The Days of 98 show is a lot of fun, as is the Yellow Streetcar tour.

You can check our page at http://www.bully4.us/alaskaexcursions.html#skagway for some ideas.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Hi folks --

Here is an option to consider. Why not let someone else do the driving for you up to the Yukon and then horseback ride and paddle a canoe on Spirit Lake? While I have not used this excursion provider before (but will use their services this May), I have gone up to Spirit Lake and done the horseback ride. The folks at Spirit Lake are wonderful people, your lunch is homemade and good and you get to see the scenery from 3 different perspectives - van/horse/canoe. http://www.klondiketours.com/spiritlakehorseback.html

LOL that is Murrays Guide, written by our very own Yukon who posted about two messages above yours! He is an experienced driver who lives in Whitehorse and drove tour buses over this route many times. His guide is indispensible for the drive. You can google it or get the link from my site below.

Yes, I know, I was just trying to post a very accurate summary of what they ask. I couldn't imagine not seeing Emerald Lake, it is the most beautiful lake I have ever seen and I have seen many lakes. I guess it just depends what your interest are and scenery are definitely mine when I'm in Alaska.

I would never drive without Murrays Guide when there, it is the best!

Thanks to all -- appreciate the replies. It was exactly what I was looking for -- beautiful scenery, but perhaps not so unique as to preclude other options. We'll factor that in when finalizing our excursions.

We are considering doing this drive too. I am keen to stop at the Yukon Suspension Bridge while on the trip. Has anybody stopped here and do you think it is worth the $18 each?

It's grossly overpriced for what you get. The place is for sale for about half what it cost to build it because, apparently, most people feel that way.

It's grossly overpriced for what you get. The place is for sale for about half what it cost to build it because, apparently, most people feel that way.

Thanks Yukon. If you take out the overpricing, it is worth a visit? Are the views over the river worth seeing? How close to the river is it? Is it a river that will be worth seeing in late June?

Thanks again

Thanks Yukon. If you take out the overpricing, it is worth a visit? Are the views over the river worth seeing? How close to the river is it? Is it a river that will be worth seeing in late June?

The Tutshi is a small but superb whitewater rafting/kayaking river that can be seen from the side of the highway but the views are better from the bridge. See pics of the river at http://www.explorenorth.com/library/rivers-lakes/tutshi_river.html I think the bridge is about 25 meters above the river. Only one raft company runs it and not very often so coordinating your trip with a raft-run is unfortunately all but impossible (that raft trip takes you over the highest commercially-run waterfall in North America!).

The Tutshi is a small but superb whitewater rafting/kayaking river that can be seen from the side of the highway but the views are better from the bridge. See pics of the river at http://www.explorenorth.com/library/rivers-lakes/tutshi_river.html I think the bridge is about 25 meters above the river. Only one raft company runs it and not very often so coordinating your trip with a raft-run is unfortunately all but impossible (that raft trip takes you over the highest commercially-run waterfall in North America!).

Thanks again Yukon. I have seen that a lot of people are calling it a tourist trap but hey, we are tourists!! That being said, from your photos, I think I would like to see the river from above and so we will probably factor it into our trip. If we are going to stop there, would you recommend on the way out or on the way back?

By the way, your photos are amazing. Photography is my hobby and I am really looking forward to getting at least a few shots like yours. The scenery is wonderful.

We did the drive to Emerald Lake on June 3rd last year and as you can see from the pictures (pg 4), Emerald Lake was spectacular.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/573308222ghBDaY

I really had a hard time looking at your pictures, every page popped up a commercial. Is this something new at webshots, I haven't seen this before. It's really annoying...

:(

Here's a photo suggestion for Emerald Lake. At the turnout you will stop at to view the lake, look across the highway to the south and you will see what looks like a goat trail heading up the side of the mountain. It's loose rock so you have to be careful but I didn't have any trouble getting up to the first grassy area above the highway. About a five min hike. You get a much better angle for viewing the differant colors of the water.

I really had a hard time looking at your pictures, every page popped up a commercial. Is this something new at webshots, I haven't seen this before. It's really annoying...

:(

Hmm, I didn't have that problem. You do have to be careful where you locate your "cursor", though. Try clicking the "slideshow" viewing on the right side -- that seems to work really good.

My husband and I will be going to Skagway in the spring, and wanted to drive to Emerald lake. I contacted Canadian Border Services, and it's true, as a Canadian you are not allowed to drive a car rented in the states into Canada. We will enjoy the sights closer to Skagway. I hope you enjoy your day in Skagway.

NML fellow Canadian

My husband and I will be going to Skagway in the spring, and wanted to drive to Emerald lake. I contacted Canadian Border Services, and it's true, as a Canadian you are not allowed to drive a car rented in the states into Canada. We will enjoy the sights closer to Skagway. I hope you enjoy your day in Skagway.

NML fellow Canadian

You can still do the tour at a reasonable price with Dyea Dave, as we will

Archived