Buying under age child alcohol

lcmc

No agreement here, I know ten 18yr old men that are over there right now, all friends of my son, atleast they were 18 when they left for over there, some are 19 now. He started college at 16 so another year and a half he'll be done and plans on going in, but as an officer. So in my sphere, most of the 18yr olds I know, ARE in Iraq or Afghanistan.

And you're sphere is not the entire country. :p Point being, the guys (and girls) who are over there are exceptional, and if I could buy them all beers I would. But I can't.

In Texas it can only be done privately, in a home. Not in public or bars or restaurants.

The APIS website usually makes that distinction if it can only occur in the home. It doesn't do that in its section on Texas. I also looked at the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission web site and it says nothing about a private home distinction. It simply says the parent must be present in the immediate vicinity i.e. within eye view. I don't know why the code wouldn't cite that important facet of the law.

For example in Georgia it states:

Furnishing is prohibited WITH THE FOLLOWING EXCEPTION(S):

• parent/guardian's home AND

• parent/guardian

It doesn't say parent's home under Texas;

From the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission website:

Sec. 106.06. PURCHASE OF ALCOHOL FOR A MINOR; FURNISHING ALCOHOL TO A MINOR

(a) Except as provided in Subsection (b) of this section, a person commits an offense if he purchases an alcoholic beverage for or gives or with criminal negligence makes available an alcoholic beverage to a minor.

(b) A person may purchase an alcoholic beverage for or give an alcoholic beverage to a minor if he is the minor's adult parent, guardian, or spouse, or an adult in whose custody the minor has been committed by a court, and he is visibly present when the minor possesses or consumes the alcoholic beverage.

© An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/laws/alcoholic_beverage_Code_referencing_minors.asp

The APIS website usually makes that distinction if it can only occur in the home. It doesn't do that in its section on Texas. I also looked at the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission web site and it says nothing about a private home distinction. It simply says the parent must be present in the immediate vicinity i.e. within eye view. I don't know why the code wouldn't cite that important facet of the law.

For example in Georgia it states:

Furnishing is prohibited WITH THE FOLLOWING EXCEPTION(S):

• parent/guardian's home AND

• parent/guardian

It doesn't say parent's home under Texas;

From the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission website:

Sec. 106.06. PURCHASE OF ALCOHOL FOR A MINOR; FURNISHING ALCOHOL TO A MINOR

(a) Except as provided in Subsection (b) of this section, a person commits an offense if he purchases an alcoholic beverage for or gives or with criminal negligence makes available an alcoholic beverage to a minor.

(b) A person may purchase an alcoholic beverage for or give an alcoholic beverage to a minor if he is the minor's adult parent, guardian, or spouse, or an adult in whose custody the minor has been committed by a court, and he is visibly present when the minor possesses or consumes the alcoholic beverage.

© An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/laws/alcoholic_beverage_Code_referencing_minors.asp

When our son had his high school graduation in 2003 (and we were thinking about letting him have some beer) we acutally called the Houston Police and Harris county sheriff's dept to get the correct info and that is what we were told-by both. No consumption of alcohol by minors in public. I'm not going to argue with the police.

When our son had his high school graduation in 2003 (and we were thinking about letting him have some beer) we acutally called the Houston Police and Harris county sheriff's dept to get the correct info and that is what we were told-by both. No consumption of alcohol by minors in public. I'm not going to argue with the police.

I wouldn't either. However, that doesn't mean they know the acutal code or that it hasn't changed since '03. It's a pretty burdensome thing to comb through; it took a while just to find what I found, so since I'm not buying my kid alcohol anyway, that's as far as I'm going to research it. I have seen people serve their child in public at a restaurant. The establishment did not sell to the minor, only sold to the parent. I've also been at a restaurant where the waiter basically said even though it's not prohibited by law, it's against our corporate policy.

This map shows that Texas is not a location exception state (as contrasted with Georgia and New Mexico, for example):

http://alcoholpolicy.niaaa.nih.gov/index.asp?Type=BAS_APIS&SEC={B7EBF080-DB1F-4092-9897-E3F083BB3075}&DE={8F469551-8EAE-4020-9538-8844EC5549B8}

I think you should be able to buy a 14yo a drink on the cruise..it is international waters of course..and just like driving...the more experience one gets...the better;)

That is by far the dumbest thing I have ever heard in my life! God help whoever you are parenting!!!!

That is by far the dumbest thing I have ever heard in my life! God help whoever you are parenting!!!!

Let him pull your other leg - I do hope you realize that you are being jerked here. Some of the posters here just love to stir the pot. This is one of them.

The younger kids start, the more likely they are to get addicted.

okay i have to differ here. i grew up in louisiana where we could go into bars and buy any alcohol at 18-the big thing was when you turned 18 to go out to the bars when you turned 18 with your friends-thing is most of us were still in highschool living at home. yes we had our severe hang overs and puking in the toilet all nighters-but after a couple times doing that-you learn how to drink responsibly .the one thing my parents were able to teach me over and over while still at home at 18-is not to drive after having a drink and i carried that over to college with me when i was on my own freshman year. that was back in 1992.

now seriously, i have a drink occasionally-it's not something i have to have- but do on occasion -maybe 10 times a YEAR if that.in my opinion with my experience growing up in that environment i belive it was a beneficial learning experience where my parents could actually guide me instead of me going to college and either A- sneaking it or B-doing something really stupid at 21 and overindulging and killing myself.

but again just my 2 cents

Drinking ages vary place to place .. I can cross the border (10mins) into Quebec and the legal drinking age is 18... but here in Ontario it is 19... rules are there for reasons regarding that.. I dont make em..dont like em either.. hate all things political:( but if you feel fit to buy your 18 yr olds dranks and can get away with it.. hop to it.. enjoy your cruise.. just make sure they stay in line:D

Isn't that why there isn't an enforced drinking age in Cozumel, so the college students can drink underage then stagger back onto the ship just in the nick of time?

That's what our family observed at Spring Break - and yes, we shared "Sex on the Beach" with our 17 year old. She thought she was hot stuff! Moderation. It can be learned.

I am from Europe. It's not unusual for parents eating a restaurant meal to have teen offspring sitting next to them drinking, too.

The US is quite conservative about the drinking age, the highest of any country. Does not make you a bad person for buying your LEGAL ADULT son alcohol. Absolutely not. Whats it to other people, especially on a cruise what your son is drinking?

The US is quite conservative about the drinking age, the highest of any country. Does not make you a bad person for buying your LEGAL ADULT son alcohol. Absolutely not. Whats it to other people, especially on a cruise what your son is drinking?

The USA is still recovering from the hangover prohibition gave our nation. :(

I am from Europe. It's not unusual for parents eating a restaurant meal to have teen offspring sitting next to them drinking, too.

Funny how the world works eh??? Everybody is the same we all bleed the same blood.. but there are rules and regs everywhere and we must abide by those once we step onto foreign soil... sucks but life is life:(

The USA is still recovering from the hangover prohibition gave our nation. :(

I will never understand how your country runs with dry counties and that stuff... its like *****... but as I posted above.. life is life.. we must abide by those rules;)

I will never understand how your country runs with dry counties and that stuff... its like *****... but as I posted above.. life is life.. we must abide by those rules;)

Dry counties and dry towns really aren't a problem. It isn't illegal to possess or consume alcohol (at least in private) in such communities, it is only illegal to buy and sell.

Archived