Hawaii vs Europe???

teacherman

We have enjoyed GREAT cruises due to all of the information on Cruise Critic, and we always try and share information that may help others. We have been fortunate to cruise Europe several times but are now planning our first cruise to Hawaii, and I am finding shore excursions to be even more expensive than Europe. I am finding the planning of various island shore days quite daunting, as we do not like to snorkel or dive, which seems the major private tour offerings on most islands.. We hope to rent cars in most stops and just drive to local places to see what is there. We will probably do a helicopter tour in Kauai. But so many people have suggested the Road to Hana drive, as we will be in Lahaina for 2 days. SO, here is the big question for those who may have experienced both of these: Is the Road to Hana any more "enjoyable" than the Amalfi coast drive in Italy? Also, other than the food choices and dances, is a luau that much different than a Mexican fiesta? I am only trying to put things in perspective as I do my planning. Any thoughts on these topics is welcome. Take care.

We have enjoyed GREAT cruises due to all of the information on Cruise Critic, and we always try and share information that may help others. We have been fortunate to cruise Europe several times but are now planning our first cruise to Hawaii, and I am finding shore excursions to be even more expensive than Europe. I am finding the planning of various island shore days quite daunting, as we do not like to snorkel or dive, which seems the major private tour offerings on most islands.. We hope to rent cars in most stops and just drive to local places to see what is there. We will probably do a helicopter tour in Kauai. But so many people have suggested the Road to Hana drive, as we will be in Lahaina for 2 days. SO, here is the big question for those who may have experienced both of these: Is the Road to Hana any more "enjoyable" than the Amalfi coast drive in Italy? Also, other than the food choices and dances, is a luau that much different than a Mexican fiesta? I am only trying to put things in perspective as I do my planning. Any thoughts on these topics is welcome. Take care.

Teacherman

We have done a cruise to Hawaii and a Baltic Cruise last year, so I would find it a bit difficult to answer your specific question. but I wanted to chime in because, like you, we aren't beach people, so we didn't snorkel and lounge on the beach while we were there. but we did exactly what you are thinking of doing. We had several places we wanted to see on each island and we rented cars and took off. We accomplished what we needed to with extra time to just drive and enjoy Hawaii. No need to run from place to place. A rental car gives you all the flexibility in the world. We saw an area we wanted to explore, do a hike or just pack a lunch and picnic some where beautiful.

We did do the RTH. We never made it all the way to Hana, but that is a different story. We stopped at a park almost at Hana, fell in love with this spot and stayed there for a few hours. The RTH is a hard drive,in that you do ahve to pay attention to driving, several spots only one car lane so you have to know who is coming in the other direction, but we enjoyed it immensely and glad we did it.

As for the luau, we did that also, enjoyed it, but once again, I cannot compare it to a Mexican festival. I would imagine the show to be completely different, and that is one of the highlights of a luau.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Len

You have asked exactly the same questions as I. Almost thought I was reading my own post except that I hadn't written it yet.

This is our first trip to Hawaii although we've been to South America, europe, Asia & Africa many times. As you, we are not snorkelers nor beach people . We usually rent a car in Europe and visit on our own.Am looking forward to reading thr responses you will receive in order to help us prepare our own cruise.

Archived