Stargazing onboard

tpbf

Being from the very overlighted urban northeast, we are looking forward to the opportunity to see some stars as we cruise. I assume there will be lots, given we can have some clear sky. Can anyone recommend a starguide or a web site that would help us understand what we see? Or - will our view of stars be the same as here in the northeast??

Share your stargazing experiences and tips - please. I have been told northern lights will be scarce. Thanks.

Obviously it will depend on the weather, but on a clear night I have seen some great things in the sky. I love taking pictures of the moon. Try to get somewhere really dark, not always easy on a brightly lit ship .... either your verandah or somewhere near the bow or bridge(they keep it dark for navigation).

Problem with sailing in the summer are the long days of light. Here in Anchorage it really doesn't get dark enough to see the stars during the summer. Now if you come up in the winter, that's a different story!

And yes you are right, the forecasts for Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights) are very low for this year and more than likely into next year too.

Susan in Anchorage :)

The further north you travel the less chance you’ll have although even on the longest day of the year, the sun sets in Juneau about 10pm and rises at 4am. You’ll get some dark skies as long as you’re willing to stay up late enough and the weather cooperates. Here’s a link to another board where they discuss seeing stars from a cruise ship.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3257479/Main/3256456

I love the skies. I was on a great cruise in the South Pacific where the ship's Navigator gave a night-time tour of the stars. Fabulous!

Check out this website before your cruise: http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/skywatch.cgi?country=United+States

Click on state, city/area a couple days before you leave. It will tell you if/when you can see the International Space Station (ISS) or Space Shuttle (SS). I'm hoping to see the ISS while in Alaska later this year. I go out an watch it here quite often - it is so cool! (btw - you can obviously click on your home state/city and get the viewing opportunities for your area, too)

OP - didn't notice what ship you're on but Princess is starting an Astronomy-At-Sea program. If you're on a Princess ship, you may have that option.

I was thinking the same thing when I read the question AKSusan.Can't wait to be in Anchorage for Summer Solstice.Planning on staying up late as we cruise up Cook Inlet.I really want to see a Beluga Whale!

My problem with Belugas is with them being white even in the gray colored water of Cook Inlet, I sometimes can't tell the difference between them and the dang white caps. Most the times the only reason I know they are there, is if I'm driving the arm and there are a bunch of people pulled to the side of the road looking towards the inlet. That's how I saw them in July driving back after a weekend camping at Portage Glacier.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Archived